Love in Cold Blood

Chapter 18: Graduation

Chapter 18: Graduation

“Do you have your cap, your gown?” asked my mom franticly as she scurried around the house. I didn’t know why, we had almost nothing to do. All we have to do is wear these hideous yellow gowns and caps (where do you get this color?) and, walk down the isle of the school auditorium.
“Yes!” I called back. At home, we held graduation in the football field. We shoved all the seniors into the field and squeezed the families into the stands. Here, in Forks, you can comfortably fit all the students and families into the auditorium, the biggest area in Forks.
My mom came running into the room with a camera. “Let’s take a picture!” she shouted.
“Yes, Let’s.” said my Father. He was able to take the day off for graduation, almost all the doctors did.
“No, no no!” I said putting up my hand. “You do not want to see me in this!”
I heard my brother laughing from the other room. He came back from college to see his ‘baby sister’ graduate. “Why, you!!” I shouted stomping into the room. All of a sudden I saw a bright flash.
“You look wonderful honey!” said my Aunt, the culprit.
“You think I look good in anything that’s not black.” I responded wryly.
“That is true, give you Aunt a hug!”
Slowly I re-entered the room to give her a hug.
“Shouldn’t we be going?” I asked
“Oh, yes. We don’t want to be late!” exclaimed my mother.
As we drove into the school parking lot we were met by teachers and other parents who greeted us by name. Before we even entered the building almost ten people went out of their way to thank my father for something he id in the hospital.
“Only in Forks,” I thought “Would everyone know everyone at graduation, thank their doctor no less.”
“Will we get to see this boyfriend of yours?” asked my Aunt. I turned around flushing.
“What? Who told you I had a boyfriend?!”
“Your mother of course!”
“Mom!” I complained
“Sorry Honey, I had to tell. He’ll be here.” Confirmed my mother.
“Ooo, lil’ Freddy has a boyfriend.” Teased my brother.
“Oh, shut up!” I complained
“What poor dude did you capture? I bet he’s ugly and short!” He snickered
“No he’s not!” I shouted drawing some attention from the passing parents.
“He really isn’t.” whispered my mother.
“Then show me.”
“Ok!” I said “Once he comes with his family I’ll show you!”
“I still bet he’s short!”
“He’s six foot two.” I said smiling
“He isn’t!”
“He is, there he is, Jasper!” I shouted running over to him. His family followed behind.
“You want to show him off to your family? What is he, a dog?” Laughed Edward.
“Only to my brother! He called him ugly and short! Besides, my Aunt wants to meet him.” I said
“I’ll go.” Laughed Jasper
“Can I come?” Asked Alice coming up from behind and giving me puppy-dog eyes.
“Sure!”
“I’ll meet you all inside.” Said Carlisle “I’ll actually talk to your father Winnie. We’ll be sitting one row behind.” He smiled “Congratulations.”
“Thank you.”
“Come on!” whined Alice
Jasper and I laughed as we followed her up to my parents.
“Hello Mrs. Maxwell.” Smiled Alice
“Hello to you to darling.” Said my mother “This is Alice, Jasper’s sister. Jasper is Winnie’s boyfriend.”
I couldn’t help but blush at that word, “boyfriend” and yet, it seemed as if we were more, much, much, more.
“It is good to meet you ma’am.” Said Jasper politely to my Aunt.
“Oh it is good to see you too.” Stuttered my Aunt flustered.
“Carlisle wants to speak to you sir.” Said Jasper to my father.
“Oh, yes. He said we should meet up at graduation.” He turned to my Aunt. “Jasper’s father is a Doctor I work with.” He explained
We continued to chat for a couple of minutes until Emmett and Rosalie came.
“They’re lining us up!” smiled Emmett
“We need to go.” I explained to my family. My bother seemed taken aback at Emmett’s size. I snickered inside.
Jasper and Alice grabbed my hand as we entered the school. Teachers were calling up letters, getting us into alphabetical order. Jasper and I entered the line as Alice entered the auditorium.
“C’s up here!” shouted Mrs. Lark
“M’s!” another called
I smiled at Jasper and left to join my section and he joined his.
When we had gotten in order the teachers ushered us into the auditorium and to our seats. After a brief speech by the Valedictorian we were called one by one to get out diplomas. As we all crossed the stage I looked to Jasper, his brother and sister. Only they could look decent in those robes and, they stood out. It went faster then I thought. When we had finished we all through our hats up in a big cloud.
“Thank god this is over!” I exclaimed to Jasper as we were piling out of the room. “Get this off me!”
“How much is ‘this’?” he asked smirking.
I blushed and slapped his hand. He simply laughed.
“Your High school career is finally over!” laughed Alice.
“And free to go to college in the fall!” I exclaimed
I had been accepted to Cornell. I was studying philosophy. I wanted to be a professor.
When I told Jasper my plans he had almost doubled over laughing. I had at first I thought he didn’t think philosophy was a serious career choice until he had informed me that’s what he was doing too.
I still think he had something to do with my acceptation. I had set my standards lower like, out of the IV league. I wasn’t even going to apply to Cornell but, Jasper had convinced me to try, that Cornell was the best place to go.

“Where are we going?” I asked Jasper. He had told my family that the Cullen’s were having a ‘congratulations’ dinner. By that I thought it meant me going to their house and watching a movie. I had gone into Jasper’s car with out a second thought to why all his family took a second car.
“Dinner.” He said smirking
“Where, really?” I asked smiling. Around him, even if he couldn’t use his powers, I could help but smile.
“A special place. A place I borrowed from Edward. I hope you don’t mind.”
“No.” I murmured
“What are we doing there?” I asked
“You are eating, I watching.” I said as we drove into a little path and stopped at its end.
In the light of the headlights I saw a sign marking a trail.
A trail?
I turned to Jasper. He was smiling as he shut off the lights.