Love in Cold Blood

Chapter 22: Feathers!

Chapter 22: Feathers!

“This one looks nice.” Said Alice skipping down the isle of a fancy French boutique. She really looked quite at home. She even made remarks and gave orders to the staff in perfect French. Alice was trying (very hard I might add) to get Bella a dress. They all may happen to be over two grand but, hey, it’s a good dress. (That was Alice’s response)
“Oh, no!” said Bella for the thousandth time “You are not getting me to wear that!”
“You’d look good!” I stepped in. I’d been laughing in the corner with Jasper and Edward but when I saw Alice hold the midnight blue fabric I wanted to give my two cents.
“I really think so.” I said to Bella “It’s on the conservative side too.” Alice nodded fiercely.
“You know she is not going to let you get off with out a dress.” Edward pointed out. “I like it also.” He said giving Bella a smile that stunned her. He did that a lot. Bella simply nodded her head.
“Yes!” squeaked Alice. She spoke quickly to a suited man in French, giving Bella’s dress size assumingly, and walked back over to us.
“Success!” she said and smiled “Next shop!”
“Alice.” Said Bella “We’ve been shopping all day and, we were shopping yesterday.”
Alice frowned “You don’t like to shop.” Quickly she amended, knowing very well the answer would be yes. “We just need to get Winnie’s dress!”
“My dress?” I asked
“For tonight.”
“You guys still won’t tell me?” I asked. They had yet again, another ‘secret’. What is with these people and secrets! Seriously, could’ve they just said ‘Happy Birthday’ or tell me what’s going on now?!
“Nope.” Said Alice making a little ‘pop’ on the ‘P’.
“Let’s get me a dress.” I said defeated
“Ok.” Said Alice beginning to drag Bella.
“Let her go.” I said “She’s tired.” I turned to Edward “You can get her ice cream or something, even thought it’s raining.” He nodded and on his way out whispered ‘Thank you.”
“So are we going?” I asked
Alice simply smiled and skipped ahead of us, swinging her umbrella.
“Are you having fun?” smirked Jasper
“Yes.” I said getting under his opened umbrella. “You seem to be having to much fun though.” He seemed to be loving watching Alice shuffle us girls around, I think I know why. I had caught his ‘gossiping’ to Edward. Apparently, he was telling Edward Bella’s feelings while Edward read my mind.
“What did Edward tell you?” I asked
He smirked “You found out.”
“Of course.”
“Nothing big.” His voice said ‘nothing’ but his eyes said ‘a lot’.
“How much?”
He turned his head away and began laughing. I should be distressed but I was caught up in the heavenly sound of his deep laugh.
“You just were ermm…” he chuckled
“What?” I was worried now
“Imagining, things.”
“What? Like what!” I nearly shouted at his face.
“A certain someone…” he began “Without a certain piece of clothing.”
I stared
“Me without a shirt.”
(You thought I was going to say pants, huh?)
I had been thinking, about that. I mean, who wouldn’t if you woke up every morning seeing it, that glorious… I stopped my train of thought with a blush, and thoughts of vengeance.
“It’s kind of cute you know.” Jasper laughed
“Wha?! I’m going to kill him!” I drew a big breath “Stake, I need a stake.”
“You know that won’t kill Edward.” He said a little too serious.
“I know.” I answered “I just need something to hold him down while I cut and burn him.”
“Cut and burn who?” Asked Alice
“Edward.” I said
“You told her what he heard.” She tapped her temple
“Yes.” He laughed
“You know too?!”
“It’s amazing what we can hear.” She said “You need a dress.”
“Not that one either.” I said “Really? I asked “Pink?”
She frowned “I liked it.”
“Not me.”
“We’ll go to the next floor then.” She said simply pushing me out of the changing rooms when I was dressed.
“There’s a second floor?” I looked for an escalator
“A special floor.” Jasper whispered making me shiver “It’s for high class cliental. They put the newest dresses there, where off-the-street people can’t get them yet.”
“We’re high class cliental?” I asked incredulously
“Of Course.” He laughed “Especially since Alice helped the store get off the ground.”
“They had potential.” She laughed pulling me towards a door.
“Wow.” I whispered as I entered the room full of sparkling dresses.
“We have free reign.” Alice said skipping to my side.
“Feathers, we love feathers!” I quoted funnily from “The Hills”
“Come on!” Alice said “Pick!”
I made my way through the swirling globs of fabric, pushing racks aside until I reached the back of the room where I found another door, an open one. Assuming it was a continuation of the ‘special second floor’ I entered to find a single dress.
It was beautiful with an off the shoulder neckline and a corseted bodice. The very top was a deep blue/ black and stiff-looking. It then softened to a lighter blue and eventually white. The skirt was big but, nor to big, and very free. I hesitantly touched the skirt.
“Beautiful.” I whispered
“You like it?” I young man asked.
“Huh?” I asked jumping, I hadn’t seen him before “Who are you?”
“Michael.” He answered with a thick accent.
“Michael!” squealed Alice running in the room.
“Mademoiselle!” he said bowing
“I see you found the designer.” Said Alice to me.
“The designer?” I asked astounded “Of all those dresses?” I couldn’t believe it; He didn’t even look over 25!
Alice nodded.
“What is this?” Alice asked turning (of course) to the dress.
“Something new I was working on.” He explained “The only problem I found is that if worn my someone so thin as yourself.” He spoke to Alice “Or one of our models it looks terrible! Only curves will do. I was thinking of re-doing it, No one in Paris would buy something this size. America yes, France no.”
I saw a smile build over Alice’s face as she turned to me.
“You like it?”
“Yes.”
“We’ll take it!” she squeaked to Michael.
“Excellent!” he laughed “Thought a little tailoring my be in order.
“Yes! Winifred?” she asked
“Yes?” I answered
“You will be changing downstairs into this.” She pointed to the dress “We’ll be tailoring it there.
In the dressing room as I let the soft fabric wash over my legs I was astounded. The dress actually looked good, on me! All the other dresses were pretty but never fit me right. They were made for someone like Alice this one, for me. I couldn’t help but make a little squeal.
“Like it?” I heard Alice ask over Jasper’s laugh.
“Yes!” I answered again as I stepped out. When I did Jasper’s laugh stopped, he didn’t even seem to be breathing. A smile lighted up his face. Alice towed me to the man while he fixed the hem and re-sewed the back.
“Perfect!” he said putting away his thread.
“Wonderful!” said Alice “Now take it off and we can go!”
I entered the room and put make on my jeans.
“Thank you!” said Alice kissing Michael’s cheeks.
“Now you’re ready for tonight!”