Love in Cold Blood

Chapter 25: Charlotte

Chapter 25: Charlotte

I stepped out of the car and walked towards the pale white house. Peter came to walk beside me. I had driven myself here and Peter had run. He beat me even though I was going WAY over the speed limit, I don’t think he was eve running, more likely a jog.
I smiled at the blonde man, he didn’t smile back. We walked together toward the large door and I opened it. We walked in together and as soon as I looked up I saw Jasper on the other side of the room. He wore the most ferocious look on his face. In less than a second he ran to me, blurring with speed, and moved me back to where he had once stood, the opposite side.
“Hey!” I shouted when I had realized what had happened “What’d you do that for?”
“Keeping you safe.” He growled at Peter
By this time the whole family had come into the room. Everyone except Edward who appeared to be missing. Charlotte, a small girl with long, thick dark hair had come to stand beside her mate who hadn’t moved an inch and whose face showed no emotion.
“Let me go.” I said calmly. “Let me talk to Peter again.”
“Again?!” he growled “You talked to him?”
“At my house.”
Jasper glared at Peter.
“Stop it!” I shouted and slapped Jasper’s face
“OWWWW!!!” I howled and grabbed my hand. Slapping him wasn’t the brightest idea I’d ever had.
“Let me see.” Said Jasper releasing me.
Instead of giving me his hand I ran quickly toward the other side, surprised when Alice helped me.
“Alice?” Hissed Jasper
“Don’t be rude now.” Warned she “Peter was just being nice, you acted wrongly.”
Jasper looked questionly at his friend. Peter spoke and explained himself
“I was coming back from hunting and I smelled you scent very strong. At first I though it was you but, I smelled human, very delicious human.” Jasper let off a growl, it didn’t face Peter “I looked in a window to find Winifred here.” He pointed to me “We talked some and she asked if I was coming back here, I said yes. She wanted to come. She drove her car, I ran.”
“See?” I said “Nothing to worry about.”
“Sorry.” Mumbled Jasper to Peter. He simply nodded his head “Can I see your hand now?”
“Sure!” I skipped over to his waiting cold hands. My hand hurt as he spread my fingers but, the cool of his skin numbed it.
“Nothing broken.” He said and passed my hand to the equally cool grasp of Carlisle
“Nope!” he confirmed “Just put some ice on it, or hold someone’s hand!” he laughed
I eagerly complied and pressed my hand into Jasper’s.
“Now can I say hello to Charlotte?” I asked He sighed but walked me to her who had come closer to us.
“Hello!” I said and smiled
“How do you do?” she said in a quiet voice.
“Very well, thank you.” Bobbed a slight bow
She showed me two rows of white teeth. “I’m very glad you didn’t eat her.” Charlotte said to her mate. He nodded. Jasper stiffened
“See.” I said to my boyfriend “They liked me.”
“Don’t forget us!” said Alice hopping up to me “We haven’t seen you in a while either.”
“Of course Alice, how could I forget you?”
Alice pulled me to one large white sofa, Jasper sat next to me. Peter and Charlotte sat across from us on a matching loveseat.
“So, how long are you planning on staying?” I asked Peter, Charlotte answered
“Not much longer, we just wanted to pass the information on to the Cullen’s and help them find any new Intel. You know.” She waved her small white hand
“What information?” I asked confused, my eyes darted to Jasper, he looked away
“You didn’t tell her?” said Peter “should we not trust her?” he looked at me
“It’s not that.” Grumbled he “I didn’t want to worry her.”
“Since it’s about her, I would tell.”
Jasper let out a small growl “It’s not certain.”
“What’s not certain?” I shouted jumping up “What’s about me?”
“There’s no need to worry.” Said Jasper firmly
“Come on Jasper, I thought you told her, she deserves…” began Esme
“Esme!” Jasper cut her off
“Jasper.” Said the doctor firmly in the lowest but fiercest voice I’ve heard.
Jasper turned away and stalked off. Alice let out a little puff and laid herself out on the sofa. “Winnie.” She began “We’ll tell.” The response to that was a growl “Oh, shut it.” Said Alice.
“Winnie.” She said again “Peter and Charlotte had gotten information that a coven was coming up this way.”
“Covens move all the time, right?” I asked
“Yes, but this coven is said to have missing members and to be on a revenge mission. They are striking the Olympic peninsula.”
“There are others...” I began
“No Winifred.” Said Carlisle “We are the only Coven with any type of settlement here, the only other vampires that come around this way are passing through.”
“And you believe they are after me?” I squeaked “Why?”
“Remember the day, in the field, when you found out what we are?”
“Yes.” I shivered at the though
“We believe they are part of their Coven?”
Carlisle nodded
“Of course, it’s not 100%.” Explained Esme “The information Peter could have got was wrong.”
“It wasn’t wrong.” Said Peter
“It could mean someone else; they could be going toward Alaska, or somewhere.” Esme looked hopeful.
“So, what are we doing?” I asked
“Kicking there dumb asses!” shouted Emmett suddenly
I laughed “Not what we’re going to do, what we are doing now.”
“Planning.” Said a low solemn, angel’s voice
“And looking.” Said Alice looking up at Jasper “I’m trying to get in their minds, Edward is trying to latch onto their thoughts though, he won’t be able to unless they get close.”
“For now we aren’t even sure.” Stated the blonde deity again
I heard Rosalie sigh from the kitchen; she was staying out of this. Esme pursed her perfect lips.
Silence.
“Jasper.” Said Peter suddenly, raising to his feet “I think now would be a good time to go.” Charlotte followed her mate
“It’s been good.” Said Charlotte and Peter shook Jasper’s hand.
I marveled at the resemblance between Jasper and Peter. It wasn’t a ‘look’ similarity (Jasper was, without a doubt, more handsome) but how they carried themselves and the set of their chins as they shook hands. They seemed, well matched.
I watched at Charlotte, Peter, and the Cullens said their farewells and the two vampires left.
“Winifred.” Said Jasper firmly when the vampires had left. He motioned for me to follow him.
“Uh, oh.” I thought “I’m going to get yelled at!” as I followed him up the stairs.
“Jasper.” I began when he closed the door to him room. “I am so…” He silenced me with a ferocious kiss “Jasper!” I gasped as he pushed me onto his bed “Jasper!”
“Never.” He growled “Never, ever, be along with another man, vampire or human. It doesn’t matter if I know him.” Between kisses
“I know I was stupid.” That got a small growl “But, he wasn’t going to hurt me...” I paused “or human?” He kissed me again, taking my breath.
“Wait!” I shouted pushing him back “Or human?” I raised an eyebrow “You weren’t mad I was with a vampire, you were mad because I was with a man?” he looked me sternly in the eye.
“Jasper!” I laughed “Why would you be jealous?” he didn’t answer “Come on.” I soothed holding his face “Why would I not want you?” I stroked his cold chin, and then kissed its marble surface.
I changed my position on his bed to straddle his waist; he looked surprised “I’d never want anything but you.” I whispered and kissed him softly
“I’m dangerous.” He whispered back
“So?” I breathed as I kissed his neck
“You could die because of us.”
“I thought it wasn’t confirmed?” I joked
“Every moment I spend with you can kill you.”
“I thought we got over this!” I groaned “Besides, danger is my middle name.”
“I thought it was Marie.”
“Beside the point!” I laughed
“I will protect you.” He said again
“Yes, yes, we’ve heard it all before.” I complained “Just kiss me.”
He complied.