Love in Cold Blood

Chapter 28: Bloody Love

Chapter 28: Bloody Love

I wonder how it must have looked, us in the middle of the trees? Jasper was on the ground, his fresh skin had just healed over, and I sat there with my blood dripping into his mouth. I was kneeling in that dirt and mud and blood, and surrounding us were the bodies of several vampires. At the time I didn’t care. I saw her, I saw them.

Alice walked through the trees and was the first to find us. She ran and squealed and hugged me, even though blood was still dripping from my wrist.
“Alice.” I said
She was quiet.
“The others?”
“Right here!” boomed Emmett’s loud voice as he entered through the clearing but soon paused.
“How can you stand that Alice?” he asked as he surveyed my wrist.
“Love.” She paused “But you probably should wrap it.”
“I got it.” Said another familiar voice as Carlisle mad himself known and was followed by Esme and Rosalie.
“Thanks.” I whispered and in a fraction of a second he was by my side wrapping my wrist with gauze from his jacket and Jasper was sitting up.
“Are you ok?” I whispered to Jasper. He nodded.
“He will be well.” He murmured and looked at me curiously. “I do need to talk to you. You did a brave thing.”
“And a stupid thing.” Added Rosalie. But instead of sounding malicious, she sounded as if she was chocking on sobs.
I gave her a sad smile.
“Well, we need to get you back home.” Said the doctor. I reached out to grab Jasper’s hand but, he shook his head.
“It’s best that he hunts now.” Explained Carlisle “He may be healed but he’s thirsty.”
I nodded my head.
Carlisle held me bridal style to his chest and ran me to the house.

“There we are.” Said Carlisle as he put a bandage over my stitches, I didn’t know I had cut myself so deep.
“Everything’s done now?” I asked “They all are dead?”
“Yes.” Nodded the doctor “None survived; I actually wouldn’t be surprised if we could see the smoke.
Sure enough, out the large window at the rear of the house we could see distant purple puffs of smoke.
“Now.” He said “I need to talk to you.”
‘Oh, no!” I thought ‘He really is going to chew me out!’ (No pun intended)
He surprised me by giving me a hug.
“I’m so thankful.” He said, and in his voice I could tell he meant it. “Everyone here is my family and I would be devastated if anything happened. What you did, though stupid, was so brave. Not many people would stay anywhere near close to a wounded vampire, let alone feed then their blood.” His dark brown eyes were so sincere I began to cry.
“Does your hand hurt?” he asked
“No!” I shook my head “It’s just if anything happened. I knew I wouldn’t be able to deal, just haring it from you…” I sob overtook my words
“I know.” He whispered as he pat my back “I know.”

Slowly the rest of my family trickled in, all with freshly golden eyes. Jasper’s were almost orange though, with the mixture of my blood and animals’. Alice came and squeezed me and so did Esme, Even Rosalie. Emmett made some lame joke about selling my blood to him and such. Soon after they all entered Edward entered the house his eyes wide and towing a scared Bella. Carlisle, with loud noises from Emmett of course, described the battle. Edward continually apologized and Carlisle, as in his nature, forgave him with no trouble, telling him it was good he was far away with Bella. Edward apologized even more when he saw my cut hand and several small cuts I had on my face from falling against trees. After he learned how I attained my cut hand he was silent for several seconds as he stared at Jasper, who was sitting beside me, then he shook his head.
Bella compared her scar to mine. She said she won since a vampire bit her and mine was done by a knife onto myself.
The family simmered down and Ed left to take Bella home, Rosalie and Emmett left to their room, Carlisle to his office and Esme and Alice went to gather flowers in the dark. This left Jasper and I alone on the couch.
We quietly watched TV as we both stared at the screen. He hadn’t really talked to me since he told me to run away. I reached across him and grabbed the TV remote and turned the screen off. I sighed.
“Jasper.”
“Yes?” he said in a solemn voice.
“We need to talk.”
“I know.”
“Do you want to go first? And no nonsense about me leaving because I’m not. You’re stuck.”
A corner of his lip twitched and he raked his long hand through his honey-blonde hair.
“Winnie?”
“Yes?”
“What you did was…”
“Stupid.”
“Yes, but thank you for saving my life.”
“I’m glad I could do something for once.”
“But, us being together.”
“I told you not to say it.” I warned but my voice cracked
“Being with you, it’s not good. It was never better demonstrated than today. Being around me kills you.”
“Maybe I want to die, I will eventually. Don’t say you didn’t you didn’t see it coming.”
“I did seeing it coming and I still say no.”
“I want to be with you forever, and not the human forever. I hate that! I hate it when people talk of forever, like it’s a never ending thing! They say ‘I’ll love you forever.’ Then they break up in a month, or they say ‘I do, forever.’ And they get a divorce or eventually one of them will die! I don’t want that! I want your forever!”
“I’m not offering it.” He said coldly, his face stern marble, his rosy lips a thin line.
“You don’t love me?” I asked hurt
“That it!” he shouted “I love you, too much. I love your light, your vitality, your warmth, your being.” He finished in a whisper
“If you were to leave, there would be no warmth, no life.”
“Don’t say that! You don’t know!” he hissed
“Oh, I know all too well.” I responded ruefully
“I’ve taken so much from you.” He whispered back.
“No you haven’t.” I caressed his stone, perfect face. “It’s not as if there was something before you, some memory that your presence had seared away. It is as if there was no ‘before’, only emptiness that you have filled in. That blank, you never took, you only gave, filled!”
“It’s wrong.”
“So? I think Pamela Anderson’s Boobs were wrong but that didn’t stop her from getting implants!”
He barked a laugh “You compare our love and situation to Pamela Anderson’s breasts?”
“Didn’t I just say that?”
He smiled.
“I know I love you and never want to leave, as long as you’ll want me too, and I will ask you to change me.”
“I know.” He said glumly.
“Well!” I said “On a brighter note, you’re twenty and I’m eighteen so we have not quite two years!”
“That seems a lot to you, huh?”
I nodded “it seems like only a week to you?”
“A day.”
“You’ll be ready, we’ll be ready.”
“We’d better hope.”
“I do, do you?”
“I do.”