Love in Cold Blood

Chapter 29: College

Chapter 29: College

“Winifred!” called my roommate Rachel from the front door. She had that tone in her voice, I knew who it was.
“Jazzy!” I cried and unfolded myself from the bed on which I was studying. He laughed as Rachel quickly ducked out of my path as I came hurling towards him.
“Jasper!” I said again as I ran straight into his chest (not the smartest idea to run into a brick wall) and hugged him. He chucked again.
“Winnie.” He said softly as he led me into the hallway. “How was your day?”
“Perfect!” I nearly shouted as I gazed into his light golden eyes. Every day has been perfect.

***
My mother had been ecstatic when I told her that I was going to Cornell and could afford it, thanks to this little (HUGE!) grant I had been awarded. Better to not look a gift horse in the mouth. I had been ecstatic when Jasper had found our dorm arraignments the first day and conveniently our dorms were right next to each other. We even had mostly the same classes! And, every night, he came to check up on me. He did this either through this method or the common room had a loose screen in one of the windows.*wink wink*

***
“How was your hunt this weekend?” I asked casually stroking the light purple bruise under his eyes.
“Very well.” He smiled his eyes sparkling
“Bag any bears?”
“One, and a mountain lion. The usual elk too.”
“How is everybody?” I asked him
“Good.” He murmured as he played with my raven stained hair “Esme’s having fun with the house near by that she’s been fixing up, whenever she has free time.” He laughed again.
Esme’s found this old building that she’s been fixing up, redecorating, and the works. The rest of her time she spends back in Forks, with the rest of the family. Alice wanted to move, but Edward wanted to stay with Bella for their Senior Year so they decided to stay.
“Alice is getting kind of mad though.” He continued “With only Bella she doesn’t get as much shopping time.”
“Poor her! Maybe she could come down.”
A mischievous smile splayed across his face, he face glowed. “I’m glad you said that.” He paused “Alice?”
Out from the corner of the hallway came that little nymph that I had spend so much of my time in Forks with. Alice.
“Alice!” I screamed as she danced towards me. Several of the doors in the hallway opened, I presumed to hush me, but instead they gawked at her fluid grace.
“Alice, Alice!” I hopped up and down with her in my arms.
“Freddy!” She cooed “I’ve missed you so much!”
I felt the same way. Jasper and I had been at college for nearly three months and though I had talked to her over the phone I hadn’t seen Alice in all that time.
Suddenly she was serious “Can I see your room?” She seemed to twitch at the end.
“Now!” I reprimanded “My room isn’t that bad!”
“I’ve seen dorm rooms before.” She reminded me “They can get messy.”
“See for yourself.” And with that I opened my door and ushered the black hair pixie inside.
Her ocher eyes were weary as she surveyed my room. The white walls covered in posters, the two dorm beds, my roommate…
“Okay.” She said satisfied “This could have been much worse.”
This whole time Rachel sat silent on her bed, a textbook in her hand. Staring at Alice’s slight figure.
“Oh!” I gasped “Rachel, Alice. Alice, Rachel.” I stood between them and moved my hands in their respective directions.
“Hello.” Said Alice in her wind chime voice
“Hey.” My roommate said her voice rough in comparison “You must be Jazz’s sister.”
“That is correct!” Squeaked Alice as she folded herself onto my bed “You’re the one keeping Freddy in place.”
Rachel laughed “that is me.” She paused “What are you going to do this visit? How long can you stay?”
“A few days.” Said my pretty much sister “We have off at my school for a long weekend. I wanted to take Winnie shopping. I’ve felt so dejected at home without my favorite brother and kind of sister.” Her face was one of pure sadness
“It’s called college.” I reminded her, she pouted “but of course when I’m done studying I’ll go shopping, tomorrow.”
“Tomorrow?” she cried “Why?”
“Why, Alice?” I asked “Have you seen the outside? It’s past nine!”
“Okay.” She whispered “You have no classes tomorrow, right?” [As if she didn’t know]
“No.”
“Good!” she perked up “I’ll be here promptly at eight.” She turned to Rachel who was still staring at our pale visitor “Don’t let her forget!”
“I...I won’t.” stumbled Rachel a few seconds late.
Alice gave us a parting smile, quickly whispered something to her brother, and skipped out the door.
“I should probably go too.” Murmured my Boyfriend in his wonderful baritone voice.
“Okay.” I consented glumly “Just let me say goodbye to you.” I walked us into the hallway.

“You’re going to have fun tomorrow, right?” he asked through his long dark lashes.
“Of course.” I whispered “I love Alice.”
“You love me too, right?” he asked huskily
“Of course.” I murmured against his soft and cold lips and he kissed me.
I was dizzy after the kiss, and only had my eyes open fast enough to catch him slipping from the hallway, his gold air blowing like a more beautiful Adonis.