Love in Cold Blood

Chapter 31: It has a ring to it

Chapter 31: It has a ring to it.

“Woo!” was heard above everyone else with their collective screams and shouts. It was Emmett, of course. He and the rest of my soon to be official family were gathered at my college graduation; on top of my birth family.
I walked up the short isle to the dean who formally gave me my certificate of high honors in Philosophy; my major. I shook the dean’s hand as he said ‘Congratulations.” We both turned for our picture. I felt the flash sting my eyes but, soon I was on my way back to my seat with the other graduates. I was excited, very excited but, the reason was not solely my graduation of all things education but my new life that would soon begin. It would begin with my death.
All of the students got their diplomas, and in high school tradition, (even though this is college) we threw our hats in the air. I was just about to catch mine but a was hit in the side by a bear; and by bear I mean Emmett.
“Congratulation!” he shouted in my ear. I tried to respond but I had no air. He didn’t notice this and continues on. “This is your first college degree, I know you’re going to get more and go through high school again to but the first one is always the most important…”
At this point I was taken out of his iron grip graciously by Jasper and I was able to breathe again. I took in deep breaths and I bent at the waist.
“You just about suffocated her Emmett.” Growled my fiancé
“Oh.”
“Yeah oh.”
“I’m okay!” I shouted, Jasper grinned
“That’s good.”
“Dear Winifred!” came a call from my mother. She was only just now able to get to me through the crowds of people. “I’m so proud of you!” She gave me a tight but very human squeeze. “Congratulations to you too, Jasper.” She added politely.
“Thank you, Ma’am.” He added in his suave charm. She blushed.
I was so very happy that my two favorite people in the world (okay, two of my favorite people in the world) were getting along so good, even after the whole proposal thing.

***

Three years prior

I twirled the ring on my finger, my eyes preoccupied with the large stone and how the thin silver band encased my left ring finger. I knew I had to tell my mother; Rachel had insisted that night when I told her but I had somehow managed to procrastinate for weeks. Break was coming soon and I couldn’t wait much longer. My mother needed to be told and preferably in person.
My purple slider rang and I looked at the ID: HOME. I sighed ‘speak of the devil and he shall come’, right? I begrudgingly picked up the phone and put it to my ear.
“Hello.” I greeted
“Why hello hunny!” can my mother’s chipper voice. “How has College been, are you ready for break?”
“College is great Mom and yes I can’t wait till break.” I lied
“Oh, good! We’re going to pick you up around ten okay?”
“Actually Mom.” I began “Jasper has his car here and was going to drive himself back and was going to drive me too.”
“I guess that’s okay.” She murmured “We’ll save gas and have more time to get ready.”
“Ready for what?” I asked nervously
“Well, we have to have a party for your return. I’m making your favorite Fettuccini!”
The day just gets better and better. “Thanks Mom.”
“No problem Freddy! I’ll see you soon, love.”
“See you soon. Bye.” And I hung up.
“Great, now a party, Jasper is going to hear about this.” I grumbled
“Jasper is going to hear about what?” asked a heavenly voice from behind me.
“What?” I shouted as I tried to twist myself to face him in my bed but only managed to fall onto his chest. He laughed
“Now what am I going to hear?” He asked again kissing my cheek.
I turned to face his gorgeous body. He had a slight smirk on his face that turned all the marble contours of his face up. His butterscotch eyes glimmered with happiness and he held my hand with the ring in his large hands.
“You know how we were going to tell my mother about this.” I stared pointing at the ring as I pushed a piece of black hair behind my ear.
“Yes.” He agreed as he smiled
“Well, my mother somehow got this great idea to throw a party so now everyone I’m related to is going to be there.”
“So? It can turn to an engagement party.” He was surely enjoying this
“An engagement party, are you serious?” I whined “I do not need a whole bunch of people yelling at me because of an engagement! I don’t want a huge Q&A!”
“It’ll be fine, love.” He kissed me softly on the lips. His hold hand burned on my cheek.
“I hope so.” I grumbled “I’m most worried about my mother and you.”
“I’m on great terms with your mother.” He reminded me “She finds me a great gentleman.”
“For now.” I grumbled
“Just go to sleep, we’ll worry about it when the time comes.” My fiancé, the vampire, whispered into my ear. “Don’t worry.”

“Are you ready to leave?” Asked Rachel as I zipped up my final suitcase.
“Unfortunately” I responded
“It’s going to go fine.” She assured “I don’t know who else would be a better man for you besides Jasper.”
“I only wish my mother knew that.” I grumbled
“She will soon.” Rachel kissed my cheek and hugged me. “Good Luck.”
I nodded and told her ‘good-bye’ and I walked out the doors of my Dorm.
“Good Morning, darling.” Jasper greeted me as he reached for my bags outside of the dark blue Cadillac he had just bought before college.
“’Morning!” I greeted and jumped up to kiss him on the cheek. Those cheeks turned up in a grin and he bent slightly to reach my lips.
“Are you ready to go to your party?” He asked. I could depend on him to spoil the mood.
“No!” I groaned but moved to the passenger side door any way.
“It’s going to be fun.” The blonde vampire assured me. He had already someone stuffed my bags and his into the small trunk of the Caddy and was turning the ignition.
“Ready to go?” He asked
My groan was the only response. He laughed and pulled the car away from the buildings and away from my familiar dorm. Off, away to Forks.
I fell asleep in the cab, only waking up when we stopped at a fast food restaurant, we didn’t have time to go any where nice if we wanted to be back by six.
I quickly scarfed down my burger and fries and I watched the scenery go by. I had no idea where we were but I knew what direction we were going in. I tried to talk to Jasper but the lulling sound the car made added to the sweet sound of his voice and the last couple sleepless night I’d had due to stress made me sleep again. I didn’t wake until we hit out destination.
“Darling.” His sweet voice called “Winifred, it’s time to wake up.”
I groaned as I flipped over in my seat, hitting my head on the glass window.
“Owww!” I complained and stared groggy-eyed up at my one true love. He, the loved one, had his lips in a thin lined as he tried not to laugh at me. I glared at him then the dash that read Five-fifty.
“Just in time.” I grumbled “Damn.”
“Don’t be a party-pooper.” He soothed as he reached to take me out of the car “It’s not as if you’re going to meet a room of ravage vampires.” He joked
“I’d rather do that.”
“I know.” He grinned and towed me toward my house. “Don’t worry, I’m coming with you.” He took my hand in his and I squeezed it. Jasper opened the door with a smile on his face.
“Winnie!” called my mother as she and my Dad came to hug me “I’m glad your back. We’ve been missing you here.”
“I’ve missed you guys too.” I watched my family converge on me, My Mother, Father, Brother, Aunt, Uncle, Grandma, Grandpa and I was overwhelmed by what the ring meant. Not only would I be married, but I’d lose these people, the ones I loved. Was it worth it?
I looked up into the face of my engaged. Yes, if I could stay with him forever, it was worth it. That brings us the the big conversation.
“Mom, Dad.” I said “Jasper and I would like to talk to you.”
My mother’s face went black as my Father continued to smile. Men could be clueless sometimes.
As everyone else moved to the kitchen my Mom took us to the back room where my piano sat from my eighteenth birthday. There were two loveseats facing each other. My mom towed my Dad to one; Jasper took me to the other.
“Mom…” I began after looking at Jasper’s overjoyed face
“You’re pregnant!” She shouted. My face fell. Jasper stood frozen. I guess he wasn’t expecting that. He just looked at my father who stood equally as frozen.
“No!” I shouted back, my left hand that had previously been held by Jasper flew up in the air “I’m not pregnant!”
“You’re engaged.” She said quietly as my hand found its way back into Jasper’s.
“Yes.” It was now Jasper’s turn to talk.
“I’m sorry Mr. Maxwell for not asking for your permission. I’m and dearly sorry for not asking you first.” He looked so sincere he could break down the hardest father.
“Of course it’s okay!” He smiled and reached over to pat my fiancé’s shoulder “A okay!”
“Thank you sir.” He smiled at my father. They shook hands. Men had it so easy. I turned to my mother.
“Mom...” I began
“You’re engaged.” She repeated in a monotonous voice
“Yes.”
She reached out to grab my left hand and looked at the ring. “You’re engaged.”
“Uhh... mom. Are you alright?” I looked to my father, the doctor “I think she’s had a psychotic break.”
He looked worried for a second them my mother smiled.
“You’re engaged!” she shouted “My little girl is engaged!!” She reached over and hugged me, then Jasper then us both. “When is the wedding? Where is it? Did you tell Esme and Carlisle?”
“Uhh…” I stuttered trying to answer her questions. Jasper saved me.
“We don’t know when the wedding is, Ma’am. After college is finished though.” I nodded in agreement “We’ll decide where we want the wedding then, no doubt my sister Alice will want to plan it. And Carlisle, Esme and the rest will know soon enough.”
‘Alice already knows.’ I thought to myself ‘She probably has the dress designed and everything.’
After my mother and father sorted threw all that had conspired they brought us both into the family room were they announced the engagement to my whole family. I was bombarded by congratulations and other expletives. The Cullen family acted equally the same.
Edward already knew of course when we had gotten close enough and I’m sure Alice had known of the engagement for a while, before the ring was even on my finger probably. She stood in the corner looking triumphant. Esme and Carlisle gave me sweet hugs and greeted me into the family. Emmett gave me a humongous bear hug that threatened to suffocate me. Even Rosalie gave me a soft hug and whispered her congratulations. She smiled softly at me.

***
“Earth to Winifred!” called Alice as she waved her small white hand in my face.
“Oh!” I exclaimed I was just thinking of…”
“I know.” Laughed Edward and I blushed. He slung his arm over my shoulder “You’re family is about to leave without you, they’re going out to eat.” He smiled at me “I look forward to greeting you as my sister. Mrs. Winifred Whitlock. It has a certain ring, huh?” I blushed as he laughed at me. Only Jasper, me, (most likely Alice) and he know knew what my new name will be.

Mr. and Mrs. Jasper Whitlock. It did have a ring to it.