Love in Cold Blood

Chapter 32: Shades of Creme

Chapter 32: Shades of Crème

“Which one?” asked Alice as she held out two pieces of cloth of the exact same color.
“They’re the same.” I told her and she looked at me like I was crazy.
“Winnie!” she begged “Just pick one!”
“What colors are they?”
She sighed like she was trying to teach me how to tie my shoes and I couldn’t hold the strings. “They are Champagne,” she shook the fabric in her right hand “and Crème Ochre.”
I pushed my eyebrows together “Champagne?”
She smiled “Good choice!” she threw the unchosen piece into a bow and picked up her cell to order more of the chosen fabric. It was for the tables at the reception. The reception of my wedding!
Over the last month and a half of planning Alice has asked me countless questions like that. She simply held out pieces of fabrics or laces or showed me cakes that looked either exactly the same or were so good I couldn’t chose between them. She’d just stand there, a few inches below me, and stare up at me with those big golden eyes of hers that reminded me so much of my fiancé until I chose something. She wanted me to be part of my wedding. Hey, I had already chosen the dress.

***

“So.” Whispered Alice when I had come over to the Cullen’s house the day after I had told my parents of the engagement. “What type of dress do you want?”
I blinked “Why are we whispering?”
She sighed “So no one hears us.”
“Then why don’t we go out?”
“Perfect!” she called and kissed my cheek “you are so smart.”
“Who would’ve thought?” I mumbled as she pulled me out of the house, not even giving me time to kiss Jasper.
She ran me to her car and shoved me in the passenger’s seat.
“Hey!” I grumbled and pulled my black hair out of my face “What was that for?” I adjusted my “Vampire’s Suck” T-shirt that Emmett had given me as an engagement present. She looked at it and sighed again.
“You really should learn how do dress yourself.” She groaned as we whipped down the roads going over one hundred mph.
“But that’s what you are for.” I cooed sarcastically
“Exactly. That’s why I’m helping you pick out your wedding gown.”
“Isn’t it a little early? I only got engaged yesterday.” I stumbled nervously
“You got engaged weeks ago!”
“It’s not quite a week, isn’t this still fast? I’m going to wait three years.”
She rolled her eyes “And that long engagement will go by fast. Besides, who knows how long it will take you to decide on a design, then the trip to Paris and the sizings and adjustments…”
“Wait!” I called putting my hand up near her face. “Pause, rewind. Paris?” I nearly screeched
“Of course silly! Where else would we get you one?” she laughed
“Paris?”
“ummhmmm.” She murmured totally blasé

She did (of course) somehow get me to go with her on a trip to Paris to get a dress made. She wouldn’t even talk about anything else until I agreed. She shipped my mother, Esme, herself and I off to Paris and into this little salon covered in shades of crème and white with a little dark haired man in the middle.
This man “Jean” was supposedly (according to Alice) the best new wedding dress designer and exactly what I wanted. I stared at him and he stared right back. I think he was partially insane but he sure knew how to sew. My wedding dress was designed as an off white antique design with antique lace and veil. The bodice was corseted and laced in the back. It was also embroidered (by hand as she reminded me constantly) with intricate ancient swirls and curves. It then tapered to my waist were a large ball gown skirt fluffed out with a long train. I had told her I didn’t want a train but she told me it hooked under my bodice so it could be removed for the reception. She said I wanted the effect in the venue. After a head swirling amount of appointments we did have the dress.

***

I sighed as Alice continued to rummage through the large box she had labeled ‘Wedding’ in her fancy handwriting. I looked around the big house that I was standing in and felt a shiver go down my spine. My Wedding was in three weeks. I quickly went to the large couch and collapsed.
“Winnie!” I heard Alice call as she skipped over to me. “Choose!”
“You choose!” I groaned as I laid my head in my hands. I felt her slight weight sit down next to me.
“Cold feet?” She asked in a sad tone.
“No.” I was certain “I’m just kind of overwhelmed at the moment. I can count down the days until my wedding. Everyone is hustling and bustling and my parents are crazy…”
“And you haven’t seen Jasper in almost five days.” She interjected which owed her another glare from me.
“You know it’s necessary.” She repeated for me again “He and his party need time to get ready and I want the ceremony to be a surprise for both him and you.”
“I know.” I groaned and forced myself up.
“And he’ll be here tonight!” she added in her chipper voice. I was immediately energized
“Really? I thought her was scheduled for another two days!”
“He was.” She wore a little smirk “But I saw you draining and really needing him, so I called.”
“Oh, thank you!” I squealed and hugged her tight
She backed away from me “The only things we have to get done.” She pointed to a list “Are these.”
We worked fast and strong to get over her checklist. Flowers were all ordered and their shipment dates checked. Linens were ordered and checked; dress was washed and accessories organized, spa day was scheduled, grooms’ tuxes were ordered (she knew this from one of her ‘looks’. The tuxes where the men’s’ responsibilities, guest list finalized, first dance and father daughter dance picked, catering and menu chosen; everything was perfect. And I was ready to see Jasper.

I was sitting on the couch with some lame sitcom on the television as Alice went over my manicure for the up-teenth time when the door opened. I hoped off and ran to the stairs where I saw Edward slowly walking in followed my Carlisle and I saw Emmett’s arm. Come on! Where they teasing me?! And, at last, I saw him enter the room.

I squealed and raced to him and jumped so I could reach my arms around his neck.
“I missed you, I missed you!” I cried into his hair.
“I missed you too darling.” He smiled his heart-breaking smile as his golden eyes warmed up to me. I never wanted to stop looking at him. He slowly leaned down to kiss me and I grabbed in behind the neck to get his lips closer. He laughed as he kissed me. I then heard a wolf whistle.

“Whoa, baby!” I heard Emmett cry out “It’s getting’ hot in here!” I glared at his huge childish face.
“Shut it Emmett!” I growled as I tried to shoot him with my eyes. I snuggled up to Jasper who wrapped his arms around my waist and slowly towed me towards the stairs.
“You really should be quiet.” Murmured Rosalie “You should have seen her here; she nearly went crazy.”
I would have glared at her also, these whole last few days she hasn’t even attempted to help me, really. But, I didn’t as I saw her rush over to Emmett and received a kiss. She had missed Emmett as I had missed my Jasper.

“The Wedding’s soon!” cheered Carlisle, only trying to me helpful, my lips sank. “Oh!” he gasped and the doctor’s ocher eyes were apologetic “Cold feet?”
I shook my head as Alice answered for me. “Just Wedding jitters.”

I leaned my head on Jasper’s shoulder as the coolness of his skin calmed my mind. I breathed in deeply his scent, better than and perfume or incense, and let him lead me up into our room where I fell, literally, into bed and a deep sleep.

I didn’t have much time to stay single, or mortal. I couldn’t wait for that time to be up.