Love in Cold Blood

Chapter 4: Alice in Lunchroom

Chapter 4 ; Alice in Lunchroom

"Okay, students that is all for today. We will talk more about the project tomorrow." Said Mrs. Lark as the bell rang.
Once the bell rang I saw Jasper get up and walk out faster that I thought possible though, I thought I saw him pause and look back at me before he left.

"You’re being stupid." I thought to myself, "There is no way that god-like man (for I couldn't even think of calling him a boy) would ever be interested in you. Get your head out of the clouds." I was still going over this in my head as I entered Room 9 for Calculus. Most people hate and complain a lot about Calculus, but I liked it. To me, numbers are so black and white, so easy to deal with, unlike people.
I opened the door and I dreaded the faces of my peers staring up at me like some sort of traveling side show. I took a deep breath and entered the room strutting my way up to the teacher, Mr. Barnes, was given my seat and sat down.
When I had sat down, I looked at my classmates. Most were down-right staring at me but a few more intelligent ones were looking ahead at the lesson. As I passed my eyes over the crowd a small skinny girl with a crop of short black hair looked up at me at the very moment I laid eyes on her, as if she new when I looked. Though she looked at me and smiled. She got out of her seat and sat in the empty desk next to me in the back of the class room.
"Hello," she said "you must be the new student. Winifred is it?"
"Yes" I responded quickly
"Well, It's very nice to meet you, my name's Alice." she shook my hand.
As she did this I looked at her face. It was beautiful. Her shin was like milk-crystal, white but seemingly flushed, as with excitement. Her features were petite and delicate like porcelain doll. Her eyes were stunning. A smoldering ocher. They reminded me of someone. With a stroke of lightning I remembered who. Jasper!

"Alice" I asked, "What is your last name?"
"Cullen" she said
"Oh." I said disappointed
"Why?" she asked her eyes boring into my head, but with a look like she already knew what I was going to say.
"No. nothing, no reason at all." I said quickly
"Okay" she said "We should probably be taking notes."
Quickly I followed her advice opening a new notebook and began copying the board. Equation after equation I followed the examples of Mr. Barnes. They were easy; I had already learned them back home. Alice didn’t say a word.
"Okay class." said Mr. Barnes after 45 mins of nonstop Calculus. We will continue with this tomorrow.

The bell rang for lunch and everyone ran out of the classroom. I gathered my stuff sluggishly and left the building.

Lunch. One of the worst classes of the day. Especially now that I hadn't really made any progress with anyone in the school. As I entered the lunchroom at least their weren't many stares. Everyone was too busy with talking to their friends. I grabbed an iced Tea and a bag of pretzels, paid for them, and walked out of the lunchroom.
I sat down on the side walk happy to be by myself. But, lonely once again missing my familiar lunch table. A new car wasn't worth sitting outside of the lunchroom by myself while everyone else chatted inside. As I took a swig of my tea, a petite girl with short black hair popped up beside me literally out of nowhere.
"Alice." I said shocked "You surprised me, what are you doing out here?" surely a girl this pretty would have plenty of friends to sit with.
"I was wondering the same myself.' she said “What are you doing outside sitting on the wet pavement." (I was still raining. I was wondering if it ever stopped.)
“Eating" I responded while showing her my bounty.
"Well I don't know if you do this where you come from, but in Forks you eat your lunch in the lunchroom." said she
"Well," I rebuked "Where would I sit."
'With me of course silly." she said with humor while dragging me inside.
She sat me down in the middle of a long lunch table in the back of the room. It was filled but seemed as if a glass wall was between them and the rest of the room. Alice sat down next to me and to my right sat a medium sized Brunette who was an underclassman who's hand was held tightly my a beautiful bronze haired boy who smiled at me. I don't know why I didn't notice him first but, right a cross from me sat Jasper who had a strange look upon is face, like he was trying to decipher a hard cryptogram. At this time I noticed I probably wore a shocked face because I heard Alice giggle.
"So I guess you've met my brother before." She said. “You clearly recognized Jasper."
"Your brother!" I said shocked I couldn’t have missed something like that, I made sure "But your last name is Cullen and his is Hale!"
"Yes.” Responded the pixie with a laugh “We are all brothers and sisters here." She gestured to the bronze boy, a gorgeous blonde girl with an awesome body who was looking cautiously at me, a HUGE man who looked more like a professional wrestler than a student, Jasper and herself. "We’re adopted you see, we all are "Cullen" except Jasper and Rosalie." She said gesturing to the other blonde. “They are "Hale".
"Oh." was the only way to respond though I soon had a thought that she forgot someone, the brunette that sat beside me. She did look different than the rest. They all were pale, she still was, but less so and had dark brown eyes. Alice had never said her name
I looked at her and she said
"Oh, my name's Bella, Edward here" she looked at the bronze haired boy "is my boyfriend."
"Okay" I responded. “That makes sense, I understand. All of it I mean."
When I turned my head to look at Alice I saw her looking triumphantly and Edward and Jasper also looking at him with a quizzical look. Edward looked neutral, kind of happy but sort of was was it sad, fearful? I don't know. I spent the rest of my lunch barely touching my food chatting with Bella and Alice with whom I made fast friends. Though, every once in a while I looked toward Jasper who was always looking away with a strained neck as if he smelled something disgusting.
"Could it be me?" I thought "Does he not like me at all? Or is it something unrelated. I can't flatter myself to think I could affect him." Through the whole lunch I wished for him to turn his head and smile his heavenly smile and say "So Fred how was your day so far?” he never did
The rest of the day went by in a sort of fog. I was happy that I made a new friend, but sad Jasper never talked to me, just sat with clenched teeth. All through German and Phys Ed. I wondered “What was wrong with him and why am I noticing?”
As the final bell rung I took up my books and assignments, got my bag and keys and walked out of the door. As I walked out into the parking lot filled with student and old cars to my car I saw the whole Cullen and Hale family get into a silver Volvo that stood out horribly except for Edward who got into Bella's car, a red truck, who was parked next to his family’s'. As I drove away I saw Jasper and Alice arguing in soft tones. "I wonder what that could be about." I thought, "They seem really close....."