Love in Cold Blood

Chapter 8: a sketchy Carlisle

Chapter 8: A Sketchy Carlisle

“Wow! that’s amazing.” He said “How do you do that?”
I turned my head to the sound of the voice. The heavenly baritone voice of a well tuned violin or piano. A voice that didn’t belong to anyone except him. Jasper. He was looking at a drawing I was doing. We were in Art class starting to practice our figures for our upcoming project. I hadn’t even noticed what I was doing. I looked down to see a man on horse back with blond hair.
“You really need to teach me to do that sometime.” Said Jasper again as he caught my eyes and gave me a smile. He no longer sat at the front of the class. He resumed his seat by me and always had a habit at looking at my work.
“I really don’t know what I drew.” I responded to his questioning eyes.
“Fred,” he said mystified “How can you not know what you draw?”
“But it does look familiar, as if I’ve seen him before. Where was it?...Oh!” I shouted suddenly. “I know, his name is Carlisle! I saw him at my Dad’s work. He works at the hospital.”
“Carlisle. Do you know his last name?” Asked Jasper in amusement with a small chuckle that made my stomach do flips.
“ No, no I don’t think so.” I stuttered under his gaze “Carlisle was all I heard.”
“Why did you dress him like that? A modern day doctor in that get up?”
I looked down at my paper “Carlisle” was on top a horse and was wearing a dark cape with a crucifix and was riding down streets that looked like old England.
“I don’t know.” I said “Maybe it’s just when I saw him he looked as if he didn’t belong as if he belonged in an earlier time. London seemed to fit.”
Jasper was looking intently at me while I said this and then asked, very seriously, “Do I look like I belong in an earlier time? Do I not belong?”
“You look like a soldier.” I blurted out not thinking. I wish I hadn’t. A strange look crossed his face then a look of defense.
“Really, do I?” he asked tight lipped
“I didn’t mean that in a bad way!” I spluttered. “I just mean your loyal chivalrous and loyal!”
A shocked look crossed his face then, a smile. “Well than you ma’am.” He said
I giggled.
The rest of the class went by quickly. Too quickly. Before I knew it the bell rang. This time Jasper waited for me and walked me to calculus where his younger sister Alice (she doubled up in math every year, she’s still a junior while I’m a senior.) met me.
“I feel like I’m being dropped of by divorced parents.” I thought “Who happen to be on really good terms.” I added this last part when I noticed Alice and Jasper talking to each other and smiling before entering their classes.
“So,” said Alice “How was Art class? I heard you drew an amazing picture, Jasper told me. Can I see it?”
“Art was great.” I responded “The picture isn’t that wonderful. Jasper overestimates my talent. Here you go though, if you want to see.” I reached into my folder and gave the picture to Alice.
“I think you underestimate yourself. This is amazing!”
“Not really.” I said flustered
“Yes, really! You are fantastic!” Responded Alice giving me my picture back.
At that moment Mr. Barnes began to write equations on the board and Alice had to stop talking to take notes.
After Math I walked to Lunch, as usual, and sat at my seat next to Alice and Bella with Jasper across from me. Throughout lunch everything went fine. Everyone talked to each other and ate. Well only Bella and I ate. Everyone else had a tray and, lifted food to their lips but none ever ate. “I wonder,” I mused “Why don’t they eat? They must all have a big breakfast and an early dinner at their house.”
When I thought that I felt Edward’s gaze upon me and he looked at Alice. When Alice received that look she reached into my folder and dug out my picture christened “Carlisle” and started to show everyone exclaiming like a proud parent “Look what Winnie did!”
“Give me that back!” I exclaimed as my face turned beet red “You don’t need to show the whole school!”
The rest of the break was spent trying to get my picture back from Alice and thinking about my Science test I had next.
The Science test I did fine on but I never did succeed in doing was get my drawing back.
At the end of the day, I walked up to the Cullen’s Volvo and stalked up to Alice to beseech her to give me my picture back.
“On one condition.” Said Alice. “If you agree to come over on Friday after school to our house. I want to show you my room!”
“Is this what this is about?” I asked her “Of course I’ll come over if you invite me. You don’t need to show the school my art!”
“Well, even so, can I keep it for a bit? I want to shoe someone.” Said Alice
“You can keep it if you want.” I said to Alice “If you like it so much, it’s only a sketch.”
“Really?!” exclaimed Alice overjoyed. “Thank you so much! I’ll pick you up Friday morning so you don’t have to leave you car here and you can come after school. You probably won’t be able to find your way.”
“Sure.” I said to Alice. “But where would I sit?” I looked at the packed Volvo.
“I’ll bring my own car silly!” was all Alice said before she got in her car and took off.