What it Comes Down To

Walk By

Johnny grew up in a house that was not built entirely on love. His parents did not love each other as much as they did when they said ‘I do.’ So the fear of commitment weighed heavily on his mind. Johnny was afraid that if he stayed in any relationship too long he’d end up like his parents, divorced and bitter. Johnny fought solely for himself. It’s the basic instinct, survival of the fittest. His emotions were tucked away deep inside himself. He refused to let them show for fear that he’d become weak.

Amanda had lived in a house where love was the foundation, the walls and the roof. She found it impossible to not see the good in others; it was how she was brought up. Amanda never put herself before others. She was the opposite of most. She spent her days doing community service. She was used to people making fun of her for that, it was how life went for her.

In the days where they went to school, neither talked to one another. They had their separate friends and their own activities.

Johnny stood outside the small venue, smoking a cigarette. Amanda walked past with out looking up. She didn’t recognize the five foot four man. His hair was a different color and he looked so tired. Not to mention his arms were inked up. Just another band playing, she thought while walking. She had detached herself from what ever lived in Huntington Beach.
Amanda moved away her junior year, left because life had become unbearable there. Not that the new town was much better. But some faces were better left behind.

Johnny recognized her immediately. He wanted to let her go, and his friends told him that too. But something about her kept him thinking.

Her face was round, which her chocolate brown hair cropped it perfectly. Her long, thick eyelashes allowed the need for no mascara or eyeliner. A slight brush of eye shadow was all she needed. And some how that seemed perfect to Johnny.

He wanted to grab her arm as she walked by and tell her that he loved her. But how awkward would that be for him; let alone her. He stopped himself as he put out the cigarette on the bricks of the building. His fear of long lasting relationships would ruin it anyway, and have her in tears. He couldn’t do that to her, he cared too much about her.

Amanda kept walking, her shoes made shuffling sounds on the concrete. The only thought she had about Johnny was how he looked so much like the every day rock star.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment if you wish.