The Painter

Golden Paintbrush

My name is Michael Morris. I'm a painter. I love all things about art. People pay me for my works. But art brought me something I won't forget.

"I need another paintbrush, Max." Michael said. "I wish I could go with you but I can't, busy." Max replied. "Why don't you ask Kate?" She's your girlfriend after all." Max added. Michael shook his head. "She's way too busy, Max." Michael said. "It's okay. I'll buy it myself." he added.

Michael has been circling the plaza when he saw an old boutique store. He saw a book and bought it. But something catches his eyes. It’s an old paintbrush. It's inside a glass case. "Like it, sonny?" someone asked. It’s the store owner. "No, I'm just looking at it. Also I think it's important to you." Michael said. "No, no, no. If you like it, it's yours." the old man said.
"How much?" he asked. "Free for buying the book." the old man smiled.

When he got out of the store, Michael looks at the brush. He immediately went back to his house. "Let's try you, buddy." he said. He noticed some writings on the brush.

Thou shall bring life.

And on the other side, it says:

Beneath the fake, lies the real.

Then some kind of button on the button of the brush caught Michael's attention. He pushed it.
Then the old paintbrush seems to have another brush inside it, a golden brush. He tried it. He drew a cat. After that he went to bed.

The next day, Michael woke up immediately. “Meow?” a cat called. It looks exactly like his drawing. He ran to see his painting. It’s just a background, no cat. “Oh no.” he said. “How did?” he said. He picked up the cat. He remembered something.

Thou shall bring life

That afternoon he went to the bar with Max. “Why don’t you ask Kate this Valentine?” Max suggested. “I will.” Michael replied. “Michael, understand Kate. She’s busy but she’ll have some time with you.” Max added. Michael just nodded. Michael came back to the store. The storekeeper was packing up his things when he saw Michael. “Is there a problem, sonny? Don’t like the brush?” he asked. “No, I love it. You’re moving?” Michael asked. The old man nodded. “Found a new place in a small town. I need to leave the city.” he answered. Michael looked at him. “Remember this son. The life of the creation lies on passion of the creator. If you don’t have the passion and believe your creation it will come back to what it is.” the old man said. He starts the car. “See you again, son!” he waved goodbye. Michael remembered Kate. He called her. “Kate, it’s me, Michael. Can we go out this Valentines?” he asked. “I’m sorry, Michael. I have to finish all my paperwork. Next time.” she said. “Okay, I got to go, bye love you!” she ended. “I knew it.” Michael sighed.

The next day, Michael went to his father’s office. “This is your work?” his father asked. He nodded. “Beautiful. It’s still beautiful. Good Michael! Keep it up.” his father said. Rafael, his brother, opened the door. He presented his work. “Rafael.” their father called. “You still can’t master the blending of colors, the contrast and the shadowing. Why? Your brother here made it all correct. Be like Michael, imagine Rafael, imagine!” their father shouted. Rafael goes out of the room, so does Michael. The two didn’t even talk to each other. “You’re still his favorite, Michael. You won again.” Rafael said. “Why does it always have to be you? You got everything. The attention, the love, the care everything! I hate you, Michael.” Rafael shouted. Their father owns a gallery studio. Inside was almost all of Michael’s work only few belong to Rafael. Since a child, Rafael was always jealous to Michael. Michael was the favorite of all.

Michael and Max went out to drink coffee. “He really said that to you?” Max asked. He nodded. “Rafael’s just confused.” Max said. Michael looks sad. “Hey, cheer up! Wait, did Kate approve?” Max asked. Michael shook his head. “Don’t worry.” Max patted his shoulder. Max saw Michael drawing a place. “Why don’t you draw a girl? A beautiful modern girl.” Max suggested. It was like a bolt in Michael’s head. “You’re genius, Max!” he said.
♠ ♠ ♠
finally I finished the chapter one.

Keanu Reeves as Michael Morris
Keira Knightly as Kate Anderson
Kate Beckinsale as Laura(by request)