Confessions of an Innocent House Maid

Ch. 11 - TGIF

“I can’t believe you knocked out Sir.”

“If you hadn’t screamed I wouldn’t have! Now shut up and pull. I feel like I’m doing all the work here.”

After getting over the shock that my pan had knocked out our boss, cold. We decided to come up with a cover story that did not involve us sneaking into the basement without permission. In order to do that though, we had to get Sir out of the basement. Nicole, voluntarily, searched his clothes and failed to find a key to the elevator so the stairs were our only option. Unfortunately it takes a lot more than two girls to lift this man.

“Why can’t we just leave him here and search upstairs. Once we find the key, we can use the elevator!” Nicole just would not stop complaining.

“For the last time, we can’t do that! If he wakes up here while we’re gone, we’ll get fired and I am not losing this job after everything that’s happened.”

“Screw this! I’m going upstairs.”

“Nicole no!” I screamed as Nicole let go of Sir’s arms and as a result he fell down the eight steps we so slowly conquered.

My jaw dropped and I looked at Nicole who was covering her mouth to hold back a laugh. We both silently descended the stairs to get Sir again. About twenty minutes later we finally got Sir upstairs and in his bed. Once we got him to the main floor, getting him in and out of the elevator was easy. It worried me how through all of it he still remained unconscious. I told Nicole to watch over him as I made him some soup to take with painkillers in case he woke up in pain (which was a definite after all that we did to him). But when I got up to the room with a tray of soup, I saw that he was sitting up in bed watching me.

“You’re awake?!”

“Yeah.” His voice was calm, gentle as usual.

I started looking around for Nicole after setting down the tray. As if reading my mind, Sir spoke up, “Nicole went to the bathroom.”

I nodded. After a pause he spoke again. “How long was I out?”

“Like twenty minutes. How are you?”

His hand went to his forehead. “My head still hurts. Bodies a little sore too. Guess I hit the ground pretty hard.”

“Do you remember what happened?”

“Vaguely, Nicole filled me in a little.”

My eyes widened in shock and fear of what he knew but I immediately tried to mask it with the most innocent look possible.

“She said I fainted in the middle of the living room?”

Relief came over me. I walked over and sat in the chair next to his bed.

“Thanks by the way,” he said smiling. “For getting me up here. You too must be stronger than you look.”

I shrugged. “We used the elevator actually. I hope you don’t mind.”

He smiled again. I smiled back. After a moment his look turned suspicious. As a result my smile faded.

“Any idea why I fainted, Jessica?” His voice sounded innocent but it felt like he knew something.

I swallowed. “Nicole didn’t tell you?”

“No, she didn’t.” He crossed his armed and watched me closely.

“I don’t know. Maybe you’re working too hard.”

His eyebrows went up at that comment. “Oh, okay.”

I took advantage of the moment and tried to make my exit. “I made dinner. It’s downstairs. You should drink the soup first though and sleep early tonight so you can get some rest. I put some Aleve on the tray in case you’re in too much pain. If there’s nothing else, it’s getting late. Is it okay if we go?” I was inching towards the door with every sentence.

After a pause he smiled and nodded. It seemed a little fake but I took it. Before I could make it out the door he called out to stop me. As I turned he said thank you. I smiled the best I could and walked out. TGIF baby. Thank God for no work on weekends.