Living for the Music

Chapter Forty-One

Somehow, I made it through the next week. Aaron was sickly sweet that weekend, but by Monday he was back to typical boy antics. I was on auto-pilot all through school. Ms. Dunford was busy helping the rest of the class with their songs, so she had given me and Seth free rein as long as we were quiet. I was on edge, hoping that I would hear something soon, preferably before Friday.

By Thursday night, I could tell Aaron was getting a little sick of me. I half expected him to blow up – he’d lasted over a week, which was a lot longer than normal. But he just dropped me off outside me house without a word of complaint – well, nothing out of the ordinary.

I barely slept at all that night. I tossed and turned, waiting for morning to come. I guess I must’ve slept sometime, though, because the last time I opened my eyes it was morning. I dressed quickly, pulling on an old pair of stonewashed jeans. I glanced into my closet, staring at a boy’s hooded sweatshirt. I couldn’t remember where I had gotten it. But I pulled it on anyways. It was warm and comfy and I could wear it instead of a coat.

I took a deep breath and ran downstairs. I paced between the fridge and the cupboard, too nervous to actually eat anything. I finally gave up, throwing a granola bar in my backpack before going out to the living room to watch for Aaron.

He couldn’t get there soon enough. Finally, I ran out to his car and collapsed in the driver’s seat. “You find out today, right?” he said gruffly.

I nodded. “Good.”

I didn’t answer. I wasn’t going to push anything right now, not knowing exactly what his mood would be. We got to school with time to spare, and I putted around at my locker to avoid going to class. I knew it would only make me more anxious, trying to sit still.

“Hey Sophie,” Seth called.

I spun around to look at him. “Did you hear something? Did Ms. Dunford-”

He laughed. “No, nothing like that. But I knew you’d be stressing out, so I brought you this.”

He handed me a caramel Frappachino. “Oh my God,” I murmured, grabbing it from him. “Have I mentioned that you’re my best friend?”

Seth laughed again. “Always good to hear,” he admitted. “Anyways, I have to run, but I’ll see you forth hour, okay?” I nodded, taking a sip of my drink to calm myself. “And don’t worry!” he called over his shoulder. “You’ll be fine.”

Aaron walked up just as he left. “Where’d you get that?” he asked, spotting the drink in my hand.

“Seth gave it to me,” I replied, taking another sip. “Something about calming me down.”

Aaron snorted rudely, muttering something under his breath. I didn’t even try to comprehend it. Knowing Aaron, it was just another reason for him to be pissed off. I gave him a quick kiss and headed in to my class.

The clock seemed to stop every time I looked away. It couldn’t move at a steady pace, it had to move at a snail’s pace. I didn’t hear a word any of my teachers said during the first three hours. The only thought on my mind was getting to music comp.

I rushed inside as quickly as I could, heading straight for Ms. Dunford. “Did you hear anything?” I asked.

She opened her mouth to speak, but stopped. I glanced behind me, seeing Seth standing there. “I’ll tell you after class, Sophia,” she murmured. “And your boyfriend doesn’t need to be here.”

“He’s not my boyfriend,” I protested. She rolled her eyes in a kind of whatever way. I opened my mouth to protest further, but quickly shut it again. It didn’t really matter what she thought.

I collapsed in my seat, staring at my notebook. I had finally gotten my latest assignment – find quotes from songs that represent who you are. It was a special ‘bonus’ task, extra credit for me and Seth and whoever else finished early. Not that Seth really needed it. He was already getting a boatload of extra credit from recording guitar parts for various kids – funnily enough, all girls.

I grabbed my shiny black pen and quickly wrote down my latest quote. It’s the waiting that’s killing me. I couldn’t remember exactly where that had come from, but it sure fit the moment. I added a few other ones that had fit me at various points of my life. Nothing massive, just a few lines from songs I had loved – still did, in some cases.

Seth was gone today, locked in a studio with Beth. Some part of me seemed to know that she really did need the help, but it was fighting a losing battle against the larger part of my brain that was complaining that she was hogging all his attention. Still, I let them battle it out in my head for a while. It was a good source of entertainment – and distraction.

And then it was time. My heart was in my throat as I walked up to Ms. Dunford’s desk. The classroom emptied quickly. Everyone was anxious to get to lunch or, well, whatever they were doing. I didn’t see Seth at all, and apparently Ms. Dunford didn’t either. She pulled a screen up on her window and turned the computer towards me. “Don’t freak out,” she warned.

I took a deep breath before leaning in to examine the screen. Dear Ms. Mueller – We are please to inform you that your song Piece of Me has been selected as one of the finalists in the annual Young Composers Competition (YCC)….

I read the letter, then reread it as reality began to sink in. “Is this for real?” I gasped. “Are you kidding me?”

“Yes and no,” the teacher replied, smiling at the expression on my face. “You did it, Sophia.”

I quickly scanned the bottom of the letter. Prizes will be announced on January 5 and awarded later in the month. I let out a long breath.. “Wow,” I murmured. “They really like it.”

“I knew they would,” Ms. Dunford said in satisfaction.

“So… is that it? Now I just wait another three weeks?”

My teacher laughed. “Now you wait,” she repeated.

I nodded slowly. ‘Thanks, Ms. D,” I finally said, for what felt like the hundredth time.

“Sophia?” she called as I turned to leave. I paused in the doorway. “Even if you don’t win, you should know you’re one of twenty-five – out of over a thousand.”

I gaped at her. “Kids have been entering this contest for the past three months, and preparing for the past year. You should be very proud of what you accomplished in a week and a half.”

A bigger grin split my face, if that’s even possible. “See you Monday,” Ms. Dunford smiled. “Have a great weekend.”

“I will,” I called. “Thanks.”
♠ ♠ ♠
She got in! Yay!

LOL was anyone really that surprised?

(: