Living for the Music

Chapter Sixty

On the 31st, I woke up to my phone ringing. Again. “Hello?” I murmured groggily.

“Hey.” It was Seth. “Did I wake you up?”

“Yeah,” I muttered, squinting at the clock. I was surprised to see it was already 11:45. “If you didn’t notice, it’s before noon.”

He chuckled. “For some odd reason, I thought you might be awake. But I can call back later, if you want.”

“Nah, you already woke me up. Might as well talk to me while I’m listening.”

“Oh.” Seth sounded a little surprised. “Well, I was calling because…”

“Yeah?” I pressed after a minute of silence.

“Well, did you get my message?”

“Which one?” I asked.

“Oh. Well, Mom really wants you to come over tonight. She wants to do the eggnog and cookies and stuff. Like we used to.”

“Do you want me to come over?”

“What do you mean?” He sounded really confused now.

“I know Mara loves me. She always has. But do you want me to come over?”

He was quiet for a minute. “Why does that sound like a trick question?”

“It’s not,” I sighed. “I’m just curious. Do you want me to come over or is it just Mara’s prompting?”

There was silence on the other end, and it lasted just a little too long. “I thought so,” I muttered, feeling the tears start in my eyes. “The one thing I’ve never wanted from you, Seth, is pity. Tell Mara thanks, but-”

“No,” Seth interrupted. “I want you to come over, too. I think we could use some time to catch up.”

“Really?” I asked.

“Really,” he repeated firmly. There was a pause before he spoke again. “So you’ll come?”

“Yeah,” I agreed slowly. “I’ll be there.”

“Good,” Seth said in relief. “I’ll see you at six.”

“Okay,” I nodded. I hung up the phone with shaky hands and stared at it for a moment, wondering why I had agreed. I was just setting myself up for more heartbreak.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's short... I just got back from math class where I discovered I basically bombed my last test.

Which sucks cause math is the one thing I'm supposed to be good at.

So I'm not in a happy mood. I'll try to get more up tonight or tomorrow, though.