Living for the Music

Chapter Seventy-Six

The next morning, I ran outside when Aaron honked. “Hey,” I cried, jumping in the passengers seat.

He leaned over and kissed me before I could say anything else. “I missed you,” he murmured against my lips.

“Me too,” I replied, pulling him closer before backing away. He smiled at me before putting the car into drive and taking off.

“How was Florida?” I asked.

“Warm,” he sighed.

I groaned. “Wow, rub it in my face.”

He laughed. “And I went to the beach, and went swimming on Christmas Day, and no one thought it was the least bit odd.”

“Yeah yeah,” I mumbled.

“Nah, it was good,” he finally said. “I really did miss you, though.”

“I’m sure,” I replied. “Those Florida girls weren’t hot enough for you, huh?”

I expected some smart comment back: No, California has the hot ones. Instead, “None were as good as you.”

He seemed genuinely serious, and my heart melted a little. How could I have ever thought of breaking up with him?

Wait, you did?

Of course she did.

But he’s a sweetie.

Not always.

But but but…

Besides, Seth is sweeter.

“Sophie?”

“What?” I jerked guiltily. “Sorry, I was…”

He rolled his eyes but I caught a glimpse of a smile on his face. “I asked what you did over break.”

“Oh,” I muttered. “Not much really.”

“Seriously,” Aaron pushed. “You must’ve done something.”

“Umm… I slept a lot? And I guess I did some writing… and thinking…”

“Ooh, thinking’s dangerous,” Aaron warned. “Come up with anything important?”

I laughed, pretending to brush it off. Nothing but the fact that you’re not good for me. I glanced ahead, taking in the sight of the school. Not surprisingly, I hadn’t missed it at all the last two weeks. I wasn’t looking forward to twenty more.

“”When did Seth get back?” Aaron asked.

I looked up in time to see the boy’s car pull into the parking lot. “A week ago,” I admitted.

Aaron smirked at me. “So tell me again what you did.”

“Alright, I hung out with Seth a little this past weekend. He helped me with some math.”

“That’s… useful.”

The look on Aaron’s face confirmed my suspicion that he wouldn’t have touched his books for me. “It was. I think I actually learned something.”

“Well, good for you.” He pulled into the parking lot, slipping into a prim spot next to the school. I pushed the door open, shouldering my backpack before following Aaron inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
Homework is a stupid time waster good for nothing but.... bad things.