Another Tale From Another Broken Home

Part 6: Horrible Weekends

So I caught the bus as usual and as I predicted brad was waiting for me. He punched me in the stomach and slapped me and then kicked me. I ran up to my room on the way calling him an ‘Asshole who has no job that would be a homeless bum if it wasn’t for Mum.’ I started playing Green Day really loudly out of my speakers while strumming along with my guitar. I had a connection with them, especially Mike Dirnt, there bassist. He’s always been there, in a figuretoritive way, he’s almost like the father I never had.

Mum eventually came home and cooked us dinner she asked me wether I wanted some and said no so she left me alone for the rest of the night. I went to bed early thinking it would kill the butterflies and the nervous thoughts of Joey. I still tried to think of were I’d seen him before. I plugged my Gigabeat into my ears and lied on my back looking up at Billie Joe Armstrong. Much to my mums disapproval I had stuck a Green Day poster on my roof sometime last year. I fell asleep and woke up to the sounds of brad yelling me to get my useless ass out of bed and do the washing, ironing, cleaning and mow the lawn. Because I didn’t want to get beaten again I got out of bed.

I did that and buy Saturday night I was totally pooped so I sat down with my shitty family to eat dinner. ‘Honey how was your day at school yesterday? Are you sure your okay?’ ‘Yeh Mum I’m fine and school was okay.’ Like she really cares. O then potty mouth brad decides to say something. ‘How are your grades Sally? They better be good.’ ‘I’m not sure how they are yet, it’s only the start of the term and the teachers haven’t tested us yet.’ fucking asshole ‘Okay then, back in my day they tested us each and every day.’ Yeh whatever asshole no one cares. ‘So honey what did you do today?’ ‘Nothing really just some cleaning and house work.’ ‘O excellent thank you darling.’ ‘It’s okay, im full now, im going to go work on my homework.’ ‘Okay darling.’ Yeh like I was going to do my homework. I was going to listen to some Ramones and Green Day and think about stuff, don’t know what but I wasn’t going to do my homework.

Sunday was about the same. But I got woken up early by mum knocking on the door saying I had someone on the phone for me. Brad had gone out to do something. Yeh go to a whore house or something. But then I thought who would be calling me, o wait yeh Joey. Wait how did he get my home number… he must’ve asked some one or something. O well, mum passed me the phone ‘hello?’ ‘Hey Sally, it’s me Joey. Sorry did I wake you?’ ‘Yeh you did you bastard!! Nah only joking its okay so what’s up?’ ‘Nothing much I was just wondering wether you’d want to come sleep over my house tomorrow night after school and one of my parents will drop us to school the next morning.’ ‘Yeh, I’d like to do that but I’ll have to ask my mum first I’ll be back in a minute.’ So I went to ask mum and she said I could go. She was glad I had a friend. I’m so glad brad wasn’t home. ‘Hey I’m back you still there?’ ‘Yeh so what did your mum say?’ ‘Yeh mum said it would be fine, so ill see you tomorrow?’ ‘Yeh ill seeya tomorrow, bye Sally.’ ‘Bye’ so I hung up and began to feel nervous about going to joeys house the next day, I fell asleep so I missed out on dinner again.