Another Tale From Another Broken Home

Part Eight: As Time Goes By

So Joey and I were getting inseparable. He hadn’t come over to my house yet but that’s only because Brad would kill me. Mike and I were getting along well by now but he still gave me weird looks every now and again. School was good no one picked on me. I was having good luck for a change and Joey and I were great friends and I felt myself getting a bigger crush on him. But one day in the midst of all this something great happened. I was on my way to music and I couldn’t find Joey and I felt another goddamn fucking tap on my shoulder and I thought it would be Eric catching up with me. ‘Hey Sally, I was wondering something.’ ‘Hey Joey, yeh shoot.’ ‘Um well, I was wondering...’ ‘Yeh what?’ ‘Well you see Sally I like you a lot and I was wondering wether you would like to be my girlfriend?’ WAIT did he just ask me out? No ones done that!! I mean he asked me out and he’s Joey fucking Armstrong. OMG no wait sally that bit doesn’t matter I’ve liked him for a long times too so just say yes Sally. ‘I mean it’s okay if you don’t like me that way Sally we could just be friends.’ ‘No Joey, I like you a lot too, I’d love to be your girlfriend.’ ‘Cool.’ He then kissed me, right on the lips, I was so happy I had my first real boyfriend. Then Eric had to come along and pushed us into the lockers, but I didn’t care I had Joey.

When I got home that afternoon though everything turned upside down. Mum was passed out and brad was pissed. He came up to me as soon as I got into the house and started beating and calling me names like worthless piece of shit just a little extra he has to take care of and other things like that. I kicked him in the balls, packed my bag full of some clothes told him to fuck of out of my life went outside and got on my bike and road. I was riding for what seemed like hours and then I stopped, and I realized I was right outside of Joey’s house. I felt like shit and probably looked like shit from what that asshole had done to me. I went up to the door and knocked on it. Joey answered, he brought me in yelled to Adie and Adie came and fixed me up and gave me some pain killers. It all was a blur because it happened so fast but I do remember that Mike was there that night. We were watching TV because I didn’t feel like sleeping and Mike started asking me weird questions. ‘Sally, who did this?’ ‘Brad the asshole, my Mums new boyfriend, she’s so drunk she doesn’t know what happens.’ ‘What’s your Mum’s name?’ ‘My mums name is Fiona Pritchard, my real dad I don’t know, Mum wont tell me. He left when I was 2 because he couldn’t stand mum being drunk, and that’s all I know.’ ‘I’m sorry to hear that, but did your Dad give you a guitar when you were 10?’ ‘Um yeh he did, why do you know him?’ ‘Yeh Sally I do.’ ‘Really who is he?’ ‘Me.’ ‘What!?’ ‘I’m your father sally. I left you and your mother because my parents were drunks and I didn’t want to be around them because it reminded me of the rough childhood I had. I’m sorry I left Sally but I didn’t know what else to do, and I wanted to start a new. Billie, Tre and I were touring at that point so I couldn’t bring you home with me. I went on and got remarried to Anastasia and had Stella. I even tried to keep in contact with your mother, to try and see you, but she wouldn’t let me see you. I’m sorry that you had to find out this way. I’ll even do a blood test to prove it too you that im your Dad’ ‘Omg really, if your really my dad it would explain why I always looked up to you as a dad while I was growing up, and yeh I would like to have a test on that one. I dunno I believe you I just want it to be true you know, nothing good has ever happened to me and yeh I just want to make it sink in.’ ‘Yeh that’s fine. O and Sally I want to take custody of you. I don’t want you getting abused by that Brad guy any longer; I want you to move in with me.’ ‘o okay mi.. Dad I mean, that would be cool.’ Omg yaya this is so awesome. I finally know who my Dad is and he is the famous Mike Dirnt. I went to sleep that night with a smile on my face. The next day I woke up and Mike and I went to have a test. Surprisingly they could tell us that mike was my dad straight away. I was so happy I hugged him really tight I think he was surprised I was just so happy I had a real dad.