The Dairy of Speaking Rain

December 1820

The snow muffles all sound outside; the world is silent beneath its thick blanket of snow. Between the lodges paths have been trodden through the snow creating a maze of trenches. The trees are dark slashes against the stark white of the snow drifts. The wind howls mournfully through the trees today. The sound wrenches my heart.
It is warm inside the lodge, the merry crackling of the fires lessening the sad sound of the winds. The murmur of voices is soothing. A young runty pup stares up at me with her head on my foot. Her large brown eyes stare up at me forlornly – hoping I’ll allow her into my lap. I think I will take pity on this sweet small bundle of fur.
I’m glad I did, the small ball of fur snuggles up against me, seeking warmth and security. I wonder where her mother is. My own Eesta is sitting across the lodge from me. Toe-ta is out breaking ice so the horses can drink.
Soon Crane Song will arrive. She is Fox Tail’s aunt. My parents had paid attention to my choice at the courtship dance. Fox Tail’s parents are sending Crane Song to make sure that I will be a good wife. I am nervous, what if Crane Song is hard to please? She will no doubt not see my writings favorably, so I will have to set it aside until Crane Song believes she knows whether or not I am a suitable wife for her nephew.
Ah, word has just come that friends have been sighted. It must be Crane Song. I must hurry out to greet her. I plan to resume writing when she has returned to her tribe when we return to the fishing grounds next summer.
Perhaps the magic of writing will bring me good luck with Crane Song.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments please dears!

[offers bribe candy, cake, and pie]