Status: Slowly Active

Shake the Glitter

Promise You'll Leave The Light On

"Miss Lanston is missing?" Snape asked accusingly, eying the two stragglers before him. He arched one of his unkept eyebrows as his mouth twisted into a taunting smirk. "What makes you think Miss Lanston has gone missing from the castle? Isn't it prudent, as well, to distinguish other probabilities?"

"Yes, professor, but--"

"Then why are you bombarding me with such nonsense?"

"Sir, we were only ask--"

"If you two were smart, you wouldn't be asking me. I believe the Headmaster is who's responsible for these sort of matters."

Brandon sighed. "I didn't think we'd be able to see him today, Professor."

"You didn't think?" Snape mimicked. He contorted his mouth into a triumphant grin at his private joke towards the brilliantness of the other Houses. He narrowed his eyes at the two as he strode off down the corridor, calling over his shoulder, "And, Quille? I believe you are well enough to attend detention tonight, after all. There will be no excuse for lateness."

Snape disappeared around the corner, leaving Ashley and Brandon alone to sulk. Ashley groaned. "Well, that went well."

"Cheer up, Ash. We'll find her."

"Think so?" Ashley mumbled. Brandon grinned as he glanced at the clock, shooting an amused wink in her direction. Ashley followed his gaze and sighed loudly, clapping herself on the forehead. "And, thanks to Snape, I have detention in five minutes."

"Oh," Brandon soothed, trying hard not to laugh. "You'll survive. It's only Malfoy. How bad can it be?"

"You really are new here, aren't you?"

"Get going." Brandon laughed. "Or you'll be late."

Ashley snarled under her breath as she headed down the hallway, muttering to herself along the way. Detention was the last thing on her list. It took time away from the one thing she wanted to do and brought the only thing she didn't want to do closer -- Finding Mia and being near Malfoy.

***

"You're late." Malfoy observed, leaning carelessly against the stone wall. He pulled his fingers along his forehead to remove the swoop of platinum blond hair that hung in front of his eyes. "I believe Snape would be interested in this little bit of information."

"Shove off." Ashley mumbled, picking up her cleaning supplies.

"What?" He mocked. "No witty remark today?" Ashley remained silent as he advanced on her. "Jeez, what's gotten your wand in a twist?"

"Nothing,"

"Then what the bloody hell is your problem?" He rolled his eyes, annoyed.

"Nothing."

Malfoy felt his face relax as he remembered what Blaise had told him earlier. He wouldn't feel good about it, but he knew it'd be cold to not fill her in. Although he loved seeing Ashley Quille in pain, this just wasn't something he could handle right now. "Is it about Lanston?"

Ashely's head shot up. Determination shone through her chocolate brown orbs. "What about Mia? What did you hear?"

"Not much." He shrugged. "Just something Zabini told me--"

"What?"

"Well," He sighed, running a hand through his lanky hair. He thought about the best way to break the news to her. If Lanston was gone, then, that meant Quille wouldn't be as lively as she always was. She wouldn't be smiling as much. She wouldn't fill the halls with her melodic laugh. "Uhm... "

"Malfoy? What?" Ashley snapped.

"Lanston was, uhm... "

"Ashley!" Hermione came barrowing down the staircase loudly, panting heavily on the way. "Come quick!"

"Hermione?"

"Come on! It's Mia!"

Ashley shot up from her spot on the floor and followed Hermione out the door; But not before shooting a curious glance in Malfoy's direction.

Did he know? Was he actually going to tell her?

She shook the thought and grabbed Hermione's outstretched hand, struggling to keep up with her as the raced their way to their destination. "Hermione? Where are we going?"

"Hosptial Wing," Hermione breathed. "Mia just got back."

Ashley struggled to make her breathing even. "From where?"

"St. Mungo's." Hermione frowned, coming to a stop outside the huge wooden doors. "Now, Ashley, I have to tell you something before we go in there."

"What?"

"The reason Mia was at St. Mungo's was because... Well... She's... "

"She's what?" Ashley's heart raced as she waited for the information on her best friend. She had been admitted into St. Mungo's and nobody thought to tell her? None of the teachers? Mr. and Mrs. Lanston?

"Ashley," Hermione lowered her voice, peeking over her shoulder. "Mia's pregnant."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much to the people who commented the last couple of chapters! I'm glad you enjoyed them. So, what did you think about Mia's predicament? I knew what I wanted to have happen but I knew it was too soon so I fought with myself and finally decided to just go ahead and have it happen. I hope it wasn't a bad decision.

Anyway, thank you all so much for reading and, please, don't forget to comment!!

xoxo - Meg.