Status: Slowly Active

Shake the Glitter

PYW Syndrome

"Mia?" Ashley whispered, pulling the thick white curtain back from around the bed. She peered inside and frowned at what was hiding behind the drapery. "Oh, Mia." She moaned, taking in the the view. "What happened to you?"

Mia's eyelids wavered as she struggled to focus on the brunette girl before her. Her chest heaved with her erratic breathing and her body felt weak. Her raven curls hung lifelessly around her face and her skin seemed to be a lighter shade than the bright white sheet on her bed. Her mouth was extremely dry but refused to open for any sort of refreshment. She didn't feel any better than how she looked at the moment; And her appearance had suffered immensely.

"Ashley," Mia croaked, squeezing her eyes shut.

"Mia? What's wrong?" She spun on her heel to glare at Hermione. "I thought you just said she was pregnant?"

"She is." Hermione nodded, casting a nervous glance towards Madame Pomfrey. "But, there's something else."

"What?"

"You see, Ash--"

"Just tell me, Hermione." Ashley snapped. "Please."

Madame Pomfrey sighed. "Miss Lanston is suffering from PYW Syndrome."

"PYW Syndrome?"

"Yes," Madame Pomfrey nodded. "Basically, it means that Miss Lanston won't be doing too well with her newfound pregnancy--"

"Why?"

"--Sometimes, when a young witch conceives a child, it has reverse effects on the carrier; In this case, Miss Lanston."

"Well," Hermione mused, tilting her head. "What does that mean, exactly?"

"It means," Madame Pomfrey pulled the curtain back around Mia's bed. "That this could be fatal for her. As the fetus grows, her health diminishes. Or, in some cases, it could lead to a miscarriage."

Ashley shook her head, closing her eyes. Hermione placed a comforting hand on her shoulder as she tried to calm her nerves; Unable to do the same for herself.

"Fatal?" Ashley whispered. "Isn't there anything you can do?"

"St. Mungo's sent back some potions they suggested we try. I don't know if they'll do any good for her; Poor thing."

"What's going to happen to her?"

"What do you mean, dear?"

"Is she leaving Hogwarts?"

Madame Pomfrey gripped the girls' arms, giving them a gentle squeeze. "Her parents are coming in tomorrow. They'll decide then what they wish to do -- What'd be best for her."

Ashley took a few steps backwards. She wasn't ready for this. She turned around and sprinted for the door, ignoring the calls from the room. She needed to talk to someone. She needed to cry. She needed someone to tell her that her best friend didn't just get labeled as a possible 'teen death'. She wouldn't be able to handle it.
Although she knew Mia would need her right now more than she needed Mia, she couldn't help but attempt to shrug off the guilty feeling in the pit of her stomach. She had accused someone of harming Mia; And, although they did, she now knew it wasn't intentional.
Turning down multiple hallways and corridors, coming to a halt outside in the courtyard, she found him; Sitting alone on a bench. She took four hesitant steps towards him before she called out to him.

"Blaise?"

He didn't look up while he fiddled with his fingers.

"Blaise? Please. I'm sorry."

"Sorry?" He mumbled. "What are you sorry about?"

"I know what happened." Ashley murmured, taking a seat beside him. "I didn't mean to get angry with you."

"Well," He sighed. "I guess... I'm sorry, too."

"Have you seen her?"

Blaise shook his head, covering his face with his hands. He couldn't stand to look at Mia in that condition -- the condition that he put her in. The condition that was all his doing. It was all his fault.
Ashley choked back the wet feeling in her eyes when she saw Blaise double over, clutching his knees. His shoulders shook violently as quiet sobs ripped through his chest. His mind more guilt ridden than hers.

"I can't do it." His voice was nearly inaudible. "I don't want to see her like that... "

"Blaise," Ashley sighed. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him into her, rubbing his back while whispering soothing words of comfort into his ear. "We'll get through this. She'll get through this."

Ashley continued to hold Blaise, occasionally rocking them back and forth, until he calmed down enough to open up and talk about the night. Ashley listened intently to every word until it was her turn to speak, choosing her words lightly.

At that time, the detention her and Malfoy were to be serving ended, letting him out of the Trophy Hall. He didn't plan on coming out to the courtyard -- It was just where his feet took him.

And he certainly didn't count on seeing his friend and enemy in an embrace.

Or the seething feeling in the pit of his stomach that came with it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another one! In case you're wondering -- I made up the PYW Syndrome. I'm not going to tell you what it means, simply because I have no idea. I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Thank you so much for reading and, please, don't forget to comment!!

xoxo - Meg.