Status: Slowly Active

Shake the Glitter

Rush

Pansy Parkinson sat in the dark Common Room, twirling her wand carelessly around her fingertips. Her lips were puckered in a thoughtful way and her short black hair fell into her face, covering her left eye, as she lolled her head back and forth.

Can you do it?

"Of course I can," she mumbled, to no one in particular at all. "I can do anything."

But, do you have the stomach for it? To potentially harm or kill another human being?

Her eyes squinted in the dark as she stared maddeningly at the velvet box before her. "Wizards have been doing it for thousands of years. Why should this occasion be any different?"

Because, you love him.

"Which is exactly why I'm doing this."

He doesn't reciprocate your feelings.

"Shut up!" She bellowed, jumping to her feet. "You shut up!"

"Pansy?"

She froze, turning her head and peeping over her shoulder. She laughed nervously. "Oh, Draco. I didn't see you there. I thought you were out?"

He nodded slowly, watching her carefully as he took the seat opposite her. "I was."

"Where did you go?" She already knew.

"I was," He stammered. "Meeting a friend."

"I see,"

"Who were you talking to just now? You seemed upset."

"I was just frustrated with some work and I just needed a yell."

His mouth formed an 'O' shape as he laughed, nodding. "I think we've all been in that situation before, aye?"

Pansy mentally swooned; It was so good seeing him smile, hearing his laugh. He was so perfect. What did Quille have that she didn't have? She was just as good as her, better even. It wasn't right. They weren't right. Ashley Quille wasn't deserving of him.

"So," She changed topic, casually grabbing the small box off of the table and placing it in her inner pocket. "What's been going on in your life, Draco? I feel as if we never chat anymore. There's so much I feel I'm getting left out on."

"What is there, really?" He shrugged. "School. Dealing with Snape. Putting Potter and those other brats in their place."

"No girls?"

Malfoy cleared his throat. "Uhm, no. Not recently."

"Hm, that's a surprise."

"Why's that?"

"Usually, you have them lined around the block, picking one out as you please. And, when you're done with that one you just pluck another from the flock. No sweat. Why the change?"

"No reason. I just wanted a break. That sort of lifestyle doesn't interest me much anymore."

"I see," Pansy glanced at her lap. She smiled softly as a memory flooded her mind. "Draco? Do you remember when we were young and you would always spend the night at my manor or I at yours? And, if anyone gave me any trouble you would sort them out for me."

He grinned, lounging back onto the sofa. "I do. I didn't like those nasty children that would pick on my best friend."

"Do you remember one year at Christmas, we were just young, when our parents shoved us under the mistletoe?"

"Oh, Merlin." He laughed. "They made us kiss!"

"Yes," Pansy smiled. "They did. That was also the night you told me that I could have one wish. Whatever I wanted. Do you know what I wished for, Draco?" She didn't wait for him to answer. "I wished that it could always be like that. You and me. Side by side. Forever."

Malfoy sat up, reaching over to place a hand on her knee. "It's still like that, Pans. Nothing has changed."

"Oh, but it has." She stood up, brushing his hand off of her knee, and walked over to the window. Wiping a tear away, she said, "More than you'll ever know."

"It hasn't, Pansy. Hones--"

"It has, Draco!" Pansy groaned, desperately wiping at her eyes. "We're not us anymore. You don't come to me with your problems anymore. You don't share your feelings. We're not best friends any longer and I know that. You think I can't see? You think I don't know? I know more than you think. And, it hurts."

"I don't understand."

"I'm not blind, Draco. My eyes are wide open and my world is falling apart."

"If you just tell me what's wrong, we can fix it, Pansy. We can work on this." Malfoy pleaded, trying to calm the girl down.

"It's too late to fix what is already broken." Pansy sniffled, climbing the stairs to her dormitory. "I'm sorry for everything, Draco. I truly am."

Malfoy fell back onto the couch, confused. He had no idea what was going on with Pansy but she was right about one thing. Things weren't the same anymore. And, he couldn't help but to shoulder some of the blame on that one. It was his fault that Pansy was feeling so hopeless and lost. He was her best friend and she needed him to get her through the struggles in life. And, as odd as it sounds, he needs her sometimes, too.

"Tomorrow," Malfoy whispered to himself. "I'll come clean tomorrow."

It's already too late.

It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in Africa
Gonna take some time to do the things we never had.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lyrics:: Toto - Africa.

I don't want to sound like one of those whiney writers that complain about comments, but I would be lying if I said I didn't expect a little more than three or four readers to comment on the last update. You lovely readers are what fuels my fire and if I don't know that you're enjoying my updates, then... There would be no more updates. *Phew.* Good to get that off of my chest. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this update. It's actually one of my favorites. I like seeing things from Pansy's POV. Thank you for reading and, please, don't forget to comment!

xoxo -
Meg.

P.S. - Thanks to
adwmagic
fudge and
maryhadalittlelamb for commenting.