Status: Slowly Active

Shake the Glitter

There's Blood on My Hands

Three days.

Three torturous days.

Draco's eyes were heavy and the deep purple shades underneath his eyelids stood out against his pale skin. He never got to speak with his mother. As soon as he saw him in the foyer, he was pulled into a world he didn't quite understand. Yes, he knew the mechanics of his fathers business and the rules of their lifestyle but he never fully knew how ruthless they all were. How incredibly ruthless.

He had witnessed firsthand how cold hearted they were. How they could kill someone as quick as look at them. And, they had. They had murdered a muggle. Ahem, a non-magical person.

Draco shook his head violently. Even the harmless magical terms burned his tongue like fire after seeing what he had. He wanted no part of that life. But, it was too late for that, now. He was given a mission. A job.

And his life hung in the balance of it all.

And, now, he didn't care. He would rather die. They would all understand.

No. No, they wouldn't.

He had to do it. There was no going back for him. After all, the young Malfoy boy couldn't be weak. He couldn't be compassionate. He couldn't show mercy.

He had to cut all of his ties. To survive this war, he had to leave everything behind.

Everything.

__________________

Hermione glanced over her shoulder, her brown eyes moving wildly in the dark as she made her way down to the dungeons. He never got their letter. He either never got it or he just never responded. Hermione hoped dearly it was the former.

She reached the Slytherin Common Room and stopped. She hadn't thought this far ahead. How was she going to get inside? Furthermore, how was she going to find Draco without drawing attention to herself?

"Bother," she mumbled, pushing her back against the hard brick wall. It was after curfew as well. It could be hours before anyone steps outside. "He's probably asleep. This was a mistake."

Running a hand through her untamed curls, she slid her body down and brought her knees to her chest. This was going to be a long night.

What felt like hours later, but was really only a few minutes, a quiet sound emitted from the hallway. "Filch," Hermione muttered. She jumped up and began scanning the dimly lit hall for a place to hide. She was sure to get detention. After her first detention in first year, she swore no more.

"Granger?"

Hermione gripped her wand tightly, "Who's there?"

"What are you doing down here? You need to leave. Quickly."

"Mal- Draco?"

"You need to return to your dorm, Granger. Its not safe down here."

"Its Ashley," Hermione whispered, ignoring his requests. "She's awake, Draco. Ron and I owled you. You've been missing for days! Why haven't you replied? We've been worried. Go! Go and see her, Draco, she really needs to--"

"She'll be fine on her own." Draco interrupted. His hand gripped her forearm and pushed her away. She stumbled a few steps but regained her composure. "Now, leave. I've no time for such foolish matters."

"Foolish?" Hermione hissed. "You think her foolish?"

"She's... " Draco swallowed the lump in his throat. His mouth began to taste like bile. He couldn't break now. No, he had to be strong. A Malfoy does not show weakness. He had to lead them astray. By doing that, he could protect them. Protect her. And, she was the only one keeping him going. "She's taken up enough of my time. Surely, you didn't expect me to care?" He scoffed, smirking. "How pathetic. Now, go, mudblood. Go before I hex you."

Hermione could feel her mouth opening and closing, unable to form the words. Had he really just said that? Ron was right. He would never change. "You're the pathetic one, Malfoy. Don't expect kindness from me anymore."

As she turned sharply on her heel and walked down the corridor, she could hear him laughing. Cackling almost. Laughing in such a way that it scared her, truly.

He had changed.