Status: Completed!

When You Can't Have It, You Want It

04

“Ladies and gentleman, we're down to the final minute of the game. The score is 5-3 with Rosaline and Alex in the lead and Zack and Jack are trying desperately to catch up. Who knew foosball could be this hard? Can Zack and Jack do it? Stay tuned to find out,” Jack announced in a deep voice as he walked toward the fridge. He pulled out a few beers and rushed back to the table, eager to continue the game that was demanding everyone's attention.

“Loser,”' I murmured as I ejected the ball into the game and retook my position as forward and midfield on the blue team. Unfortunately for me, Jack scored a goal as I said that.

“Who's losing now?” He asked excitedly.

I raised my eyebrow in response. “You still are, smartass. 5-4.”

Alex simply chuckled and the game went on. Kara and Rian were in the midst of watching some movie on the LCD TV. From where I was standing, it sounded like Pink Panther.

“I want a hamburger. Who's down to go to Wendy's?” I asked as I shot another goal, ending the game. “Sorry Zacky, but you just weren't meant for this sport.”

“I'll take you to Wendy's,” he started, “if you take that back.”

The flirtatious confrontations and not-so-sly sexual innuendos between Zack and I have been the norm for the past five months. After that pool party two months ago, Alex caught on that I was about to be snatched up by Zack and made his move, playing the sexual innuendo game whenever Zack was absent from our hangouts. Simply put, Zack's theory was right.

“I'm not taking it back, but I do want some curly fries. Let's go!”

Minutes later, we were all piled up in the back of Zack's car and on our way to the fast food restaurant. I was driving since the boys had been drinking and I didn't want to risk it. Kara and Rian had opted to stay in the house and finish the movie (aka have sex.)

“Hey Alex, can you plug my iPod into the jack, please?”

“Well, if you insist,” I heard Jack Barakat say moments later. I raised an eyebrow and looked at the backseat in the rearview mirror only to see Jack unzipping his pants.

My eyes widened and without thinking, I yelled quickly, “For the love of God, there's only one penis I want to see in this car and that's not it!”

For the rest of the car ride, we sat in silence. Alex smirked in confidence after my comment but Zack's face was unreadable. He looked hurt and he had a right to be, considering I practically just ruined his perfect plan that we've been working for so long on. To make matters worse, I don't even know whose penis I was referring to. In my shock over Jack's actions, I forgot that both Zack and Alex were in the car. Stupid Rosaline.

I pulled into the Wendy's parking lot and cut the engine. As everyone climbed out of the car, I took my time unbuckling my seatbelt and locking up the car.

So now what do I do? Do I sit next to Alex or do I still keep myself off-limits and flirt with Zack?

Before I could make the decision for myself, a lingering Zack Merrick laced his fingers with mine and whispered into my ear, “You know, you're making this very difficult for me to execute.”

The heat from his breath tickled the hairs at the back of my neck, but instead of turning away from him, I simply nodded and buried my head into his chest. “I know, I'm sorry.”

With some hesitation, Zack wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tightly. We stood there for a minute or so before realizing the rest of the gang was waiting for us inside of Wendy's. It was strange, because I really didn't want to break the embrace. I felt comfortable in it and as soon as we let go, I wanted it back.

Was that a bad thing?

Once inside the restaurant, I ordered my curly fries and sat down next to Zack. Alex and Jack were already digging into their burgers and Matt just sat there drawing Mickey Mouse heads on a napkin. When my number was called, Zack went to the counter to pick them up for me; when he returned, I rested my head upon his shoulder without any thought given to Operation GAG and sat there, enjoying the company of the craziest best friends I have ever had.

* * *

“You're leaving already?” Alex asked, looking genuinely sad.

“It's 2:30 in the morning, Alex. I'm beyond tired. So yes, I'm leaving,” I responded, sticking my tongue out at him. I have to admit, it was kind of adorable that he didn't want to see me leave. “Zack, I'm dropping you off, right?”

“Rosaline, it's my car. I believe I'm dropping you off,” Zack said, grabbing the keys off the counter and making his way toward the door.

I shook my head and blocked his way. “Absolutely not, you've been drinking. I'm driving.”

“See, this is why I want to keep you around Rosaline,” Alex began, “You're the designated driver.”

My heart dropped. Maybe he didn't mean it like that, but the remark still stung. Was that seriously all he saw in me?

Why do I continuously try to impress this guy?

What am I getting out of it, besides a bruised self-esteem?

Zack reached down for my hand and passed me the keys.

I guess that's his way of telling me it's my move.

“You're an asshole, Alex Gaskarth.”

And with that, I walked out of the door with Zack following closely behind me.

Inside, there was silence. Minutes later, it was broken by a sincere question asked by the brunette boy.

“What'd I say?”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the penultimate one!
There are 2 endings. I will post them both at the same time, and they will be labeled in the description as Team Zack and Team Alex.
GET EXCITED!

Comment please :)