The *** of Johnny Ramone and Other Stories

The Escape Plan.

Frank’s POV.
I walked across the prison floor as silently as I could. I checked in at the desk at they allowed me to go through to visit my convicted lover. The prison wasn’t the worst one I had seen nor the best. There was something hanging in the air that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It could have been the fact that Gerard was in here, but then again it could not. As I walked past the cells of the prisoners on either side of me, they stared at me at me, like the animals in cages at zoos. They looked like they hadn’t seen another human being for years and it made me feel sick to the pit of my stomach. I eventually came to cell 150, Gerard’s cell. I could see him lying on his bed, watching a cockroach scuttle up the brick wall. He was pale and his eyes were circled with pink and purple, signs of insomnia. His clothes hung on his body, outlining every bone like a sick sketch.
“Oh Gerard,” I whispered, torn. “What have they done to you?”
Gerard started at the sound of my voice. He moved to the bars in front of me so quickly I didn’t think it was possible in his state. He placed his hands on the bars and talked quietly to me, yet urgently.
“Frank, you have to get me out of here, you just have to,” He whispered, a tear rolling down his cheek. “I’ll go mad in here, if I don’t…”
“Shh…” I said, putting my finger on his lips. “I promise I’ll get you out of here, right now.”
“Right now?” He mumbled in disbelief.
“Right now,” I said defiantly.
“I love you,” Gerard said quietly, kissing me lightly on the lips, more tears rolling down his cheeks.
“Guard, let this man out, he is needed for further questioning,” I called, not taking my eyes of my boyfriend. The guard was obviously new as he didn’t ask any questions and fumbled around for the right key. Gerard and I walked out of the prison block silently. I told him not to make a single sound until we were out of the building.
Soon, we were out of the desolate building and Gerard sniffed the night air.
“We made it, Frank! And this time, we’ll make it work.”
He grinned at me after he said this, but I wasn’t listening. I was thinking about all the trouble I had landed us in.