Another Heart Calls

If We Were A Movie

Meredith and Charlotte sat in Charlotte’s living room the following day after Meredith had gotten off of work. “So, how were the kids today?” Charlotte asked, referring to Meredith’s first grade class.

“Good,” Meredith replied smiling. “We’re learning addition now.”

“I wish I could go back to that age,” Charlotte told her.

“No you don’t,” Meredith said. “If you were that age, you wouldn’t be engaged to Marty.”

“True, but when you’re six years old, you have nothing to worry about.”

“I understand you there,” Meredith said. “So, changing topics here. What did you think of Janelle last night?” The two girls hadn’t had a chance to talk last night about it, and Meredith wanted to know Charlotte’s opinion of the other girl.

“Honestly?” Charlotte asked, and Meredith nodded her head. “I like her.”

“Me too,” Meredith sighed. “She’s just too nice to not like her.”

“I’m sorry, “Charlotte apologized. “I really wanted to hate her, but I can’t. She was so nice! I mean she even asked me what it’s like to be a pharmacist.”

“I know,” Meredith told her. “She seems so perfect, and that’s what I’m worried about. I mean how can Patrick not like her?”

“I thought you talked to him about her, though,” Charlotte said.

“I did,” Meredith said. “And he told me that he didn’t have any feelings for her, and that I was his girlfriend.”

“But?”

“But, he also admitted that he used to like her.”

“But they haven’t seen each other in ten years, right?”

“Yeah, but they were best friends back then. Their parents thought they were going to marry each other! I feel like I’m in a movie, and I’m the bitchy girlfriend that everyone hates and wants the guy to break up with so he’ll go out with the old best friend.”

“Mer, you are not the bitchy girlfriend!” Charlotte laughed. “Have you told Patrick how you feel?”

“No,” Meredith admitted. “I mean what am I supposed to say? That I’m scared that she’s better off for him than me?”

“I don’t know, but maybe you should talk to him. Or, talk to Janelle. Ask her if she’s here to try to get with Patrick.”

“Oh, yeah, that one’s going to go over well,” Meredith replied sarcastically. “Like she’d ever admit it. She’s too nice!”

“I don’t know what else to tell you.”

“Thanks anyway,” Meredith said with a smile. “I’ll figure everything out eventually.”

The next day after work, Meredith made her way back to her apartment. The guys had left for a one-game road trip early that morning. As she walked up to her door, she saw someone standing outside. As she moved closer, she realized it was Janelle.

“Janelle?” Meredith questioned.

Janelle quickly turned around to see Meredith. “Hi,” she said smiling.

Meredith walked around her and opened her apartment door, allowing Janelle to come in. “What are you doing here?” Meredith questioned.

“I needed to talk to you,” Janelle told her. “I hope you don’t mind, but I asked Patrick where you lived, and he gave me the address. I hope you don’t think I’m a stalker or something,” she joked.

“No, it’s fine. I was just a little surprised to see you here.”

“Oh, well I just wanted to talk to you about Patrick,” Janelle said.

“What about Patrick?” Meredith asked as she motioned for Janelle to sit down on the couch, while she took a seat on the chair that sat across from it.

“I see the way you look at me, like you don’t trust me. And honestly, if I were in your situation, I’d feel the same way. I just want to explain a little bit. Patrick and I grew up together,” Janelle began. “We were practically inseparable.”

“I know,” Meredith said. “Patrick’s mentioned you before.”

“Oh,” Janelle smiled. “Well, I had a bit of a crush on him back in the day.”

“Oh, really?” Meredith asked.

“Yeah, that might be an understatement,” Janelle admitted. “I think it was more that I was completely and utterly in love with him.”

Meredith’s eyes went wide as she didn’t know what to do. Had Janelle really just admitted that she was in love with him?

“But, he didn’t feel the same way about me. Or, at least I don’t think he did. Right when I was about to tell him, he left to go play hockey,” Janelle continued.

“Okay,” Meredith said.

“You must be wondering why I’m telling you all of this,” Janelle said.

“Yeah, I kind of am,” Meredith admitted.

“Well, when I saw Patrick a few days ago, all of those feelings came rushing back to me,” Janelle told her.

“Are you telling me that you’re in love with Patrick?”

“Yes, I am,” Janelle said. Meredith just sat there in silence. She didn’t know what to say to that. “But, don’t worry.”

“I’m sorry,” Meredith began. “You’re telling me not to worry about the fact that my boyfriend’s old best friend is admitting that she’s still in love with him?”

“I’m not going to do anything,” Janelle told her.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean I’m not going to do anything,” Janelle repeated. “I’m not going to tell him, and I’m not going to try to break the two of you up.”

“Then why are you telling me all of this.”

“I think I just needed to get it off my chest, and I felt like you should know. Like I said before, I’m pretty sure that Patrick never had the same feelings for me that I did for him, but I just needed to tell someone how I felt.”

“But you don’t plan on doing anything about it?”

“No,” Janelle said. “I’m one of those people that believe if something’s supposed to happen, it’ll happen. So, if I’m supposed to be with Patrick, it’ll happen without me doing anything.”

“Okay,” Meredith said, confused. Why had she just told her all of this?

“Well, I guess I’ll go now,” Janelle said getting up off of the couch. “Thanks for listening,” she smiled.

“No problem,” Meredith replied as Janelle walked out the door. Now she was even more confused about everything.
♠ ♠ ♠
Any thoughts???