Another Heart Calls

Stupid Boy

Charlotte rang the doorbell to Meredith’s apartment, and Meredith came running to answer it. She opened the door to see Charlotte standing there with her purple suitcase, and her eyes went wide. “Charlotte, come in!” she said moving to the side. “What happened?”

“Marty and I got into a fight,” Charlotte told her.

“About what?” Meredith asked walking over to the couch and sitting down. Charlotte followed her, sitting down beside her and pulled her legs up to her chest and turned to face Meredith.

“Marty thinks what Patrick did is okay,” Charlotte admitted. “How the hell can he think that sleeping with someone else is acceptable?”

“Wait, start from the beginning,” Meredith ordered. “How did you find out what Patrick did anyways?” she asked.

“Apparently, Patrick told Marty what happened because when he came home, he knew what Patrick did. I finally got him to tell me that Patrick slept with Janelle. I then said something about how stupid Patrick was, and Marty said it wasn’t all his fault, and he said it was partially your fault.”

“Okay,” Meredith replied, letting Charlotte know that she was following her story so far.

“And then I asked him how it was your fault, and he said Patrick was pissed at you. So, I asked him if that meant I could go out and sleep with someone because I was pissed at him,” Charlotte continued.

“Char!”

“What?” Charlotte asked. “I am pissed at him. I can’t stand to be in the same room as him right now. So, I’m here. I hope you don’t mind,” she added with a smile.

“Of course not! You’re my best friend, and you stuck up for me, even though you shouldn’t have. Char, this is Patrick and my fight, not yours and Marty’s.”

“You sound like him now,” Charlotte pouted.

“Well, it’s true,” Meredith said with a small laugh.

“I still think he’s an idiot,” Charlotte muttered. “Anyways, how’d you find out?” she asked carefully, not wanting to upset Meredith anymore.

“Oh, Patrick told me,” Meredith replied.

“He did?” Charlotte asked.

“Yeah, the jackass has the nerve to come over to my apartment today and tell me he slept with Janelle last night,” she told her.

“You’re kidding me, right?”

“Nope,” Meredith said shaking her head.

“How did he tell you? Did he just come out and say it?” Charlotte asked.

“Pretty much,” Meredith said. “He came over, and I asked him how his date went. He just come out and said ‘I slept with Janelle last night.’”

“What did you say?”

“I didn’t know what to say. I mean I just found out the man I am completely in love with slept with another girl. So, I was silent.”

“And then he tries to tell me that it didn’t mean anything to him, that he was just angry about having to go on the date, and at the time, it seemed like a good idea,” Meredith told her.

“Guys are idiots!” Charlotte yelled.

“No,” Meredith corrected her. “My guy is an idiot. Your guy loves you, and he’s just sticking up for his best friend, just like you are doing.”

“Yes, but my best friend is correct. His best friend is stupid,” she said seriously.

Meredith laughed. “Seriously, Char, I don’t want you and Marty fighting over this.”

“I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s out fucking some random girl right now,” she said sadly.

“Charlotte, go back home and tell him you’re sorry,” Meredith demanded. “Tell him that you love him and that you don’t care what happened between me and Patrick.”

“Fine,” Charlotte relented.

“Thank you,” Meredith said with a smile. “I really don’t want to see you and Marty fighting. Now, go tell the boy you love him,” she said opening the door for her.

“I will. Thanks, Mer, and no matter what, I’ll always be on your side.”

“Bye, Char,” Meredith said shutting the door behind her.

Charlotte walked back home and slowly opened the front door. A part of her was nervous to see Marty. The two of them had never fought like they had tonight.

As she walked through the house, she noticed most of the lights were off. She walked back to the bedroom, hoping he would be in there. She opened the door to find an empty room. She went back to the living room and grabbed her cell phone out of her purse. She scrolled down the lists of contacts until she came upon Marty’s name. She quickly hit dial, and waited for him to pick up.

After the third ring, someone picked up, but it wasn’t the person she expected. Instead, it was a female voice saying, “Hello?”

Charlotte looked down at her phone to make sure she had hit the right person to call, and indeed, saw Marty’s name across the screen. She quickly hung up the phone, tears beginning to form in her eyes.

She dialed Meredith’s number and waited on her to pick up the phone. “Hello?” Meredith answered after what felt like an eternity.

“Mer?” Charlotte asked, trying to hold back the tears that were threatening to spill over.

“Charlotte, what’s wrong?”

“I think Marty did go sleep with another girl,” she said as the tears began freely flowing down her cheeks.

“What are you talking about?”

“I came home, and it was empty, so I decided to go call Marty. I dialed his number and some chick picked it up,” Charlotte explained.

“Maybe, it’s not what you think,” Meredith said quickly.

“What else could it be?”

“Did you ask her who it was?”

“No, as soon as she said hello, I hung up,” Charlotte said, trying to get the tears to stop. “God, I drove him to do this!”

“Char, this is not your fault! I’m still going with this was all a misunderstanding,” Meredith said.

“How could it be a misunderstanding? Why would some random chick be answering your phone if you weren’t fucking her?”

“Char, you’ve got to calm down,” Meredith told her. “I know you’re upset, but you don’t know that Marty was sleeping with her.”

“Face it, Mer. All boys are stupid, idiotic cheaters!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments???