We Can Shine Like the Sun

I

Holly Burming stepped across the threshold of the plane and into the terminal with a big yawn and a stretch. She was extremely tired from her twenty or so hour flight from Perth, Western Australia across the world to California, USA. Holly had just won a competition for her band that she’d entered. It was a competition to go to America and play the full length of the ‘Vans Warped Tour’, tour bus and tour manager included.

“Oh man, I'm so tired!” One of Holly’s best friends, Harlee Anchor whined, dropping her head down onto Holly’s shoulder with a thump.

“I know Harlee,” Holly patted her head, “Jake will be here with our bus shortly, let’s go get our bags and crap.” Harlee nodded her head tiredly and started to walk towards the luggage claim. Holly stayed back and waited for her other two band mates to come out of the gates.Tadem Cefni was pulling her fingers through her hair to get out the knots, and Avara Law was yawning.

“I really need to pee,” Tadem complained, holding a hand over her lower stomach. “Why is it that no one ever needs to pee in movies? Like seriously, I just watched Night at the Museum 2, and no one needed to pee at all. They were running around a museum all night for God sakes. I mean, he would have needed to pee right? They would have been on the middle of a fight and he would have stood up and been like: ‘Hold up, I need to pee.’ If he had of done that, then I’m sure he could have come out of the dunny in a surprise attack and jumped everyone.”

“Tadem,” Holly said.

“Yeah?”

“Shut the hell up.” Tadem grinned and shut her mouth.

“Holly!” Avara whined, “I am so fucking tired, it's insane!”

“I know Avara, like I said to Harlee, the bus will be here soon to pick us up. Come on, Harlee's over at the baggage claim waiting for us.” Holly led the way over to where Harlee stood unhappily. The four girls stood waiting for almost half an hour for their bags to come out on the conveyer belt. Harlee and Holly got their bags first, and went to stand behind the group of people thronging for their luggage. Tadem and Avara soon enough had squeezed out of the people and they all walked together to get outside to the big emerald tour bus that was waiting for them.

Holly marched up to the bus, and to the guy standing right by the door and stuck her hand out for him to shake.

“Hey,” she grinned at him happily, “We’re Kill Barbie. I’m Holly Burming, and these guys are; Avara Law, Harlee Anchor and Tadem Cefni,” Holly told him, pointing to each girl in turn.

“Hey," He smiled at them all, "I’m going to be your tour manager for the summer, I’m Jake. So the first venue is here in Pomona, California,” Jake told them, ushering them towards the stairs.

“Okay, sweet,” Avara smiled, still obviously tired, “When does Warped actually start?” She asked.

“It officially starts tomorrow, so you have that long to get over your jetlag.” The four girls nodded their heads and boarded the bus excitedly. Each girl called a bunk, and stuffed their belongings into the draws underneath the said bunks. “Oh and I forgot to mention that the band has an interview as soon as we get to the grounds, I hope you don’t mind?” Jake asked awkwardly, standing by the drivers seat, “and straight after you have to go into a nearby studio to design merchandise for your merch kid; Travis to sell.”

“Oh my gosh!” Holly gasped.

“No way!” Avara exclaimed.

"Are you serious?” Harlee asked.

“You have got to be kidding me!” Tadem laughed.

“No, I’m pretty serious actually,” Jake nodded, ”now if you head down the bus to the back room, I’ve put some entertainment for you.” Holly jumped to her feet and dashed into the room squealing. This was going to be the best experience. Once ‘Kill Barbie’ reached the venue, Jake called them to the front of the bus. He told them that he would be the one taking them to both the interview and to design band merch. After his little speech he opened the door and went out into the warm summer air. The sun wasn’t as hot as the girls thought it would be for summer.

“Is this weather hot to you Jake?” Harlee asked. Jake nodded his head and wiped at his brow roughly with the back of his hand.

“Isn’t it hot for you?” He asked.

“Nope,” all four girls replied together with a shrug. As they walked, they went past a few important looking people stopped while Jake chatted to them about random things that probably concerned them. Jake would nod and continue walking after a few moments. Holly looked around from her position between Harlee and Avara. She wasn’t really sure where Tadem got too, but a closer inspection found her walking and talking with Jake up ahead.

“Can you believe it?” Harlee asked, “We are here, at Warped Tour, together, as a band!” She squealed the last word. Avara and Holly agreed as they came to a stop outside a tent that read: ’MySpace Tent!’. Jake ushered the girls in quickly and told them to take a seat and wait for the interviewer.

“I’m going to head back to the bus and get out your merch tent so you can sell your brand new merch,” he told them before backing out of the tent. “I’ll be back later.” And he was gone, weaving his way back through the crowds. A young woman came into the tent a moment later and sat in front of the group with a clipboard.

“Hey girls, I’m Marie Anteon, I’m just going to ask you a few questions, answer as honestly and thoroughly as you can.” The girls smiled and nodded.

“Okay so; first please introduce yourselves individually, say something about yourself and then what your job in the band is,” Marie said, reading from her clipboard.

“Alrighty," Holly sighed, placing her hands on her knees. "I'm Holly Burming; I like to spend my spare time drinking coffee and writing lyrics in my journal. I play the bass guitar and I'm the lead singer for Kill Barbie,” Holly smiled, crossing her legs and pushing her fringe away from her eyes.

“I’m Harlee Anchor; I spend most of my time on the internet looking up hilarious video's on YouTube, I'll probably put a couple up along the Warped Tour way of the girls, and I play guitar. Tadem?”

“I’m Tadem Cefni; I'm the extremely organised member of the band, and I play drums. Vara?”

“And I’m Avara Law; I'm the humorous member, obviously, I'm fucking hilarious. And the instrument I play in the band, is the tambourine,” she smiled smiled. Holly, Tadem and Harlee groaned and slapped their hands over their faces.

“No she doesn't,” Tadem laughed. Avara frowned and Marie laughed, looking at each girl before going back to Avara.

“Yeah, I totally do,” Avara told her. "Sometimes, I even play the triangle." Tadem and Harlee punched her leg while Holly looked at Marie and laughed.

“She actually just plays the electric guitar and does backing vocals,” she told Marie. Avara pointed at Holly with a shocked face.

“Lies,” she hissed. Marie laughed at them before looking back at the clipboard sitting in her lap at her next question.

“Can you tell me what the meaning is behind your band name?” She asked. The girls laughed and looked at each other to see who was going to answer. Harlee piped up first.

“Well," she said with a chuckle, "we all never really liked dolls when we were little, although Tadem did -does sorry, because she still dresses them up. And there used to be stickers on a lot of cars in Perth that said that Barbie was a slut, so we just kind of, I don't know, followed through with that idea.”

“Yeah, it was kind of a then and there thing,” Avara laughed, “When Holly and I were in biology at school, we used to write songs and we just kinda thought of ‘Kill barbie’, so we bought it up at lunch, Tadem and Harlee thought it was really cool, so they were like, ‘hey, lets call our band that!’” Avara finished, Holly, Tadem and Harlee nodded and turned back to Marie.

“How did you all meet?” Marie asked, with a twinkle in her eye.

“Uh,” Holly started, but Avara soon took over when Holly didn't finish what she was saying.

“Holly and I went to primary school together, so we knew each other from there. But Harlee and Tadem went to completely different schools. We all kind of came together in high school. I met Tadem in maths or some shit, Holly and Harlee met in..."

"We met in Science with Miss Mavadatt," Holly laughed.

"Yeah, I think Holly and Tadem met met when Holly came to sit with mine and Tadem's group, and she bought Harlee along too,” Avara finished. Marie nodded and checked for the next question on her clipboard.

“Really, when did you actually decide to start the band?”

Tadem answered this question. “Well, in high school Holly was always singing, all the time. And I do mean all the time. Harlee and Avara were always playing air guitar and talking about Guitar Hero, and I was always drumming on my legs in the middle of tests and exams... And rocking everyones socks on Guitar Hero: World Tour drums. So we were just like ‘hey let’s start a band’, that’s actually exactly how it went down.”

"Yeah, pretty much," Harlee agreed.

“I see,” Marie laughed, “How did you guys get the chance to tour on Warped so young and early on in your career?”

“Well,” Harlee said, sending a pointed look Holly's way. Holly laughed and shrugged her shoulders slightly. “Holly here, was being stupid and clicking random stuff on the internet and then about... what? A week later?” She said to Holly.

“I got an email from AP magazine and they said that my band won a chance to tour on Warped for a full summer. I remember I got up, ran through the house screaming and then called Avara who then told Harlee who then told Tadem.”

“So just like what happened with Jonathan Cook from Forever the Sickest Kids?”

“Exactly!” Avara laughed, slapping Holly's arm playfully.

“No!” Holly defended herself, “it was a different site then what Jonathan used!” The girls and Marie chuckled at her.

“So why should everyone know Kill Barbie?” Marie asked. Avara rolled her eyes and laughed.

“Because Holly has the sweetest insults,” Avara answered.

“Because were Australian. You don’t get em like us anywhere else,” Tadem added.

“Because we’ll kill you if you don’t,” Harlee said, with a completely straight face. Holly and Avara laughed and Tadem shook her head.

“Agreed,” added Holly.

“Who do you miss the most from home?” Marie asked, looking down at her clipboard, “there must be some special people in your lives back home.”

“I definitely miss my girls Rosie and Lavita, and my Mum and Dad” Holly said sadly, "I know it's only been like two days, but they're the best animals ever." Marie laughed.

“Probably my little brother Matthew and my parents,” Avara said. “And Holly’s cousin Koby.”

“I miss my Nana, my Brian and my Mum,” Harlee smiled.

“Definitely not my Nana,” Tadem laughed, “but I do miss my Mum, Dad, my sister Sarah and my Horses.”

“Harlee, you say you miss your Brian, is that a boyfriend?” Harlee made a face and shook her head while Holly, Avara and Tadem laughed.

“He's my Granddad,” she told Marie, “I've never really called him anything but Brian.” Tadem had stopped laughing, but Holly and Avara were still chuckling quietly.

"Shut up, you sound creepy!" Harlee exclaimed, looking at them for a moment before turning back to Marie. "Carry on."

“Okay then,” Marie laughed. “Is there a goal you have for the summer? And what bands are you most excited to meet and see play their sets?”

“I guess my goal is to try really hard, and to get people to like us and get into our music. That's a pretty important goal," Holly said while the other three girls nodded their heads in agreement. "And as for bands I'd like to meet, I really want to meet All Time Low,” Holly gushed, putting her hands over her mouth. Avara chuckled at her.

“Yeah, I think that is pretty important. I like that goal. And as for All Time Low, have you taken a fancy for the band, their songs, or the guys themselves Holly?” Maria asked her.

“Holly reckons that All Time Low has the best music,” Harlee laughed, “And she has a major crush on Alex Gaskarth.” Holly smacked Harlee's arm as her cheeks went bright red.

“I don’t think there is a person alive, cept this bunch who don’t like him of think that he’s extremely attractive!” Holly sighed.

“Well it’s your lucky day Holly, I’m interviewing them next; they should be here any second.” Holly squealed and got up from her chair. And before anyone could stop her, she ran right out the tent and went running in the direction of their bus. Harlee, Tadem and Avara cracked up laughing. She was always like that, one time Forever The Sickest Kids came to their city, and she’d freaked out and vomited all over Kyle Burns. Harlee wondered if he still remembered that.

“Oh, and speak of the devil!” Marie laughed as four tall and very lanky boys walked into the tent laughing and joking around together.

“Did you guys see that chick running down that way?” Jack asked, grinning, and pointing in the direction Holly had run off. The girls laughed again. "That was so fucking funny!" He was still grinning as he pulled a piece of gum from his pocket, smiled at it and then popped it quickly into his mouth and started chewing on it.

Harlee snorted. “Not only did we see her," she laughed, "we know her too!”

“Oh my god!” Jack exclaimed excitedly, “You’re Australian!” Harlee nodded slowly at him, “Im Jack Barakat and I love your accents!”

“Why yes, it appears that we are,” Avara laughed, getting up from her chair.

“Anyway, who was she?”

“She found out Alex was coming and freaked out,” Harlee laughed. She wasn’t intimidated by the boys who were so much more famous then her band was.

“Ooooooh,” Jack laughed, turning around and teasing the brunette boy who was looking confused and standing behind him. "She either really loves you, or is like me and can't really stand being around you." The girls and the rest of All Time Low laughed as Alex smacked Jack upside the head.

“Well, she definitely doesn’t hate you,” Avara muttered with a sly grin. Alex got awkward and stood really still, while he started intently at the ground.

“Are we finished with the interview Marie?” Tadem asked, looking at Marie with a smile.

"Not yet, I just have two more questions for you." The girls nodded, and Avara sat back down.

"Oh, but Holly's not here," Avara said. Jack grinned and sat down in Holly's seat with his left leg crossed over his right one.

"It's okay, I'm back, carry on with the interview, sorry Marie," he said, trying to sound as girl as he could. And doing a marvellous job at it.

"How long have y'all know that you want to be in the music industry?"

"I've played the guitar since I was little," Avara replied, "my brother was into heavy metal and he had a guitar so he taught me all he knew and then from what he taught me, I taught myself different riffs and shit."

"Ever since I played the drums at Holly's house on her Guitar Hero," Tadem laughed.

"I think ever since I got guitar hero," Harlee said.

"Uh, I've like, always like stuff, and I thought, well shit, I can do it, you know?" Jack said in his creepy girl voice. "So then I-" He said, stopping what he was saying and looking at the girls before talking in his normal voice. "What do I do in your band?"

"Lead vocals and bass," Tadem laughed. Jack nodded and went back to his girl voice.

"So I like, asked my mom to get me like, a bass guitar and I like, played it. Then I like, sang or some shit and I liked my voice and so I decided to be a singer and a bass player in like, a band." Everyone in the tent started laughing. Marie was the first person to recover.

"Alright, last question. Is there anything you'd like to say to your fans?"

"Uh," Avara laughed awkwardly, "I don't think we really have very many right now, but if we do, and you guys are watching and listening, come see us play tomorrow, we'll try our very hardest to rock your fucking socks off. And thanks for liking us."

"I'd have to agree with everything Vara just said," Harlee laughed.

"Yeah, she summed it up pretty good," Tadem agreed.

"And I'd just like to say that I have the biggest fucking crush on Jack fucking Barakat. He's like, so fucking hot!" Jack added with a laugh.

"Yeah, and we love Jack," Tadem giggled, getting to her feet. "Thanks for having us Marie, now where is Jake?"

“Right here,” he announced, stepping into the tent, “hi Jack!” Jack grinned excitedly, and embraced ‘Kill Barbies’ tour manager roughly.

“Hi Jake, what the fuck are you doing here?”

“I’m the tour manager for ‘Kill Barbie’,” he answered excitedly. The four boys from All Time Low nodded at the name of their band, showing they thought it was a pretty awesome name.

“Kill Barbie?” Alex asked.

“It’s our band,” Tadem nodded, “pretty awesome right?”

“Are you jealous?” Harlee asked, giving them raised eyebrows. Jack stopped smiling and nodded slowly.

"I am."

"Good." Zack and Tadem shook their heads at Jack and Harlee before Zack decided to speak up and say something.

“Well, we should totally hear you guys play sometime,” he smiled shyly. "I'm sorry I was on the phone, so I didn't hear what instruments y'all played."

“I play guitar,” Harlee told him. Jack got all excited and told her that they should get together and ‘jam’.

“I play guitar too!” Avara whined, sounding playfully annoyed that she was getting left out of their conversation.

“I’m the drummer,” Tadem grinned, “and Holly is the bassist and lead singer.” Avara and Harlee nodded in agreement. "She's got a pretty unique voice too." That sparked Alex's interest.

“Really?” he asked.

“Yeah," Tadem replied, "a lot of people back home love her voice, especially her dad, he’s probably her biggest fan, it’s so cute,” Tadem explained.

“I want to meet your lead singer," Alex smiled in determination, "maybe even write a duet with her, if her voice is as good as you say,” he finished.

“I’m sure she would wanna do it with you too," Harlee giggled, "I mean... Do a duet with you...” Harlee covered her mouth with her hands and started giggling.

“What was that?” Alex asked.

He was the only one who hadn't heard Harlee's joke, the rest of them were smiling and laughing too.

"Well we have to rush," Jake spoke up loudly, "and we have to go find Holly." The girls nodded and started saying goodbye to the boys and saying thank you to Marie for being their first interviewer and thanking her for having them. Then they followed Jake out and started heading back to their bus in search of Holly.
♠ ♠ ♠
RE WRITE
RE-RE WRITE
We decided the first few chapters weren't funny enough.