We Can Shine Like the Sun

V

Blood red flowers.

White blonde hair.

Grey, black jeans.

Holly didn’t know where she was, all she knew was she had to run. She started to sprint to where it looked safe, not dangerous. But when she got there, it turned into a stage, crowds of people, laughing at her from all directions.

Harlee, Tadem and Avara were there, with Alex and Kyle, they were all laughing even harder than the people in the crowd. She looked down, she didn’t have a body, and there was just air, nothing.

“Stop laughing!” She screamed. The people stopped laughed and...


Holly sat up straight in her bunk with a cold sweat dripping down her body. What the crap?! she thought, pulling the curtain open and climbing out from the bunk and into the corridor. The bus was empty.

“Where is everyone?” She mumbled, picking up some magazines in search of her phone. She had to know the time. At last she found it; it was under one of Jake’s socks, “EW.” Holly looked at the time, and let out a yell. It was 2:50pm, Kill Barbie was supposed to go up on stage at 3:40, and she was going to be late for soundcheck. She hurried back into the hall way and over to the ‘junk bunk’, she pulled her case up and over Tadem’s, and un-zipped it.

Holly snatched a pair of green shorts, a black FTSK shirt and some socks. After she dressed herself, brushed her teeth, and her hair, did her make-up and was yanking on her socks, her phone buzzed from the counter.

Holly if you don’t hurry your ass up, we’ll start without you!
- Tadem.


With a roll of her eyes, Holly put her sunglasses over her eyes and slipped her feet into an old pair of Dunlop Volleys that sat beside the door (Probably Harlee or Avara’s, seeing as though Holly had forgotten to bring hers here). She pulled the door open, and went out, slamming it behind her.

Warped tour was buzzing today; heaps of kids were wearing of band merch. Holly even noticed one kid wearing a Kill Barbie shirt.

“Hey Holly," the kid called with a wave. She smiled back and continued on towards the stages.

- † -


Flashing her pass at the security guard at the stage gate, Holly jogged over to the tent the girls were at. They were all sitting around with their instruments, chatting lazily.

“Hey guys, sorry im late, what did I miss?” She asked, sitting down on a spare amp, and picking up her bass.

“Where the crap were you? You missed soundcheck,” Avara asked, not even bothering to look up from her tuning her guitar. “We looked for you everywhere!”

“I was asleep... In my bunk... On our bus!”

“Really?” Harlee said, looking up at Holly, “I thought we checked there.”

“Obviously not," Tadem muttered, scrambling to her feet and picking up her drum sticks so she could jam them into her pocket. “C’mon, time to go out.” The three left over girls nodded their heads and followed Tadem out of the tent.

“Good luck, “Jake announced, coming from nowhere and making Harlee squeal and almost drop her guitar.

“Jake!”

“Sorry, okay so your set lists sticky taped in front of Holly’s microphone.”

“Thanks, later!” Avara waved, jumping up the steps and walking naturally onto the stage, going straight past Tadem and going up to her microphone on the left hand side of the stage.

Holly and Harlee were only a few steps behind her, each stepping up to their respective parts of the stage.

"Testing," Holly said, tapping the microphone seeing as she missed soundcheck. "Testing mic."

"Who's Mike?" Avara asked.

"I dunno," Holly shrugged before turning her covnersation to the crowd, who were all most probably wondering if she was mentally healthy enough to even be on stage. “Heyy,” Holly called into her mic happily, “What’s up Detroit?!?” The crowd screamed.

“I think they love us, “Avara announced with a smirky grin.

“Only because you are, in fact, a creep!” Holly retorted, strumming the strings on her bass. She looked up and out over the crowd. “OH!” She said, slapping her forehead and turning to look each member of the band. “I reckon the may want a song!”

The crowd literally SCREAMED in agreement.

"I don't think so," Harlee disagreed. The crowd screamed again.

"Look, seriously guys. If you just go 'AHHH' we kinda can't decifer whether you want a song or not. Yes or No?" They crowd screamed, this time saying yes.

“Well okay, if you’re sure... “Avara said, shrugging her shoulders and playing the opening notes to one of their best songs; Fighting For What’s Right...

“Come on, sing louder!” Harlee yelled, dropping her guitar and throwing her hands right up into the air and clapping out a beat for the crowd to follow. “You can do better!”

The crowd was awesome. Every song that the band sang, they joined in, even if they didn’t know the words.

“Right so, I didn’t actually introduce us when I was supposed to so, that chick there, with the rainbow head, is Avara, she’s pretty kickass-“ She crowd laughed, but Holly made a serious face, “-No really, she’ll kick your ass. That bubble-gum head is Tadem, she’s also pretty kick ass and y’all know who Harlee is right?!? She’s been out and about introducing herself to everyone before and after our sets... “

“Hey!” Harlee yelled into her mic, “I only did that because Jack made me!”

“Of course he did Harl’s, “Avara chuckled.

“He did!” She insisted.

“Indeed, “Holly smiled, “Anyhoo, we’re Kill Barbie, thanks for comin’ out to see us!”

“Yeah, I reckon we should all hang out, like, now, go to our merch table!” Avara said, “Bring me Pepsi!” The girls laughed loudly and began to trek off the stage.

- † -


“One of the best show’s we’ve ever played in our lives!” Tadem exclaimed, while she pushed her way through the crowds, so that they could be at the merch tent sooner.

“I know!” Avara replied.

“Ahh!” Harlee cried out, smiling, “I think I’m in love!” Holly, Avara and Tadem stopped walking so they could stare at their friend.

“Who are you in love with?”

“Warped Tour... “She said dreamily, “It’s such a lovely day!”

“You’re a creepy person Harlee Ellen Anchor!” Holly laughed. The four girls carried on towards their destination, still giggling about Harlee’s weirdness.

“Hey Travis,” Avara grinned, throwing herself across Travis, the merch guys, lap.

“Hey Avara, a million kids have been looking for y’all, they’ll be back soon, so can I go get something to eat?”

“Sure, get me a coke,” Holly told him before he left with a nod. This was going to be a long afternoon.
♠ ♠ ♠
RE WRITE