Where's Your Heart?

One of One

As soon as I stepped through the door of Room 120, my eyes immediately went to his face. Bruised, bloodied, scratched up. It wasn't the same. I didn't recognize him. Did I have the right room?

"Excuse me," I stepped aside to let a nurse into the room. She looked at a few of the machines that filled the room. I watched her inspect him. She looked up at me and smiled kindly. "He's doing good. Let's just pray he gets out of this coma soon."

I didn't know the man in that bed. I didn't recognize him. He wasn't cheerful or talking to me. The walls of the room seemed to squeeze together more tightly. I had to get out of there. I left the room. And went straight towards the nearest exit.

"Remy?" I stopped walking when I heard my name. I turned around to face Mikey. "What are you doing here?"

"I..I was looking for Gerard's room," I said quietly.

"It's back here a bit," he said. "Room 120."

"Oh," I said. I didn't move.

"I was just going to visit him," Mikey said. "Do you want to come with me?"

"I..can't," I said quietly, feeling myself start to tear up.

"Why not?" Mikey asked.

"I have to get home," I said.

"I don't believe you," Mikey said.

"What?" I said, looking at his face. I could see he was angry.

"I saw you leave his room," Mikey said. "Didn't stay long did you?"

"Mikey," I said.

"What?" he practically yelled. "Gerard loves you. He always been there for you through everything you've gone through. When your mom died. When your dad started drinking. And now you won't even stay with him through one of his tough times. I bet you can't stand the sight of him."

"You know what Mikey?" I said. "You're right. I can't stand the sight of him. That's not Gerard. He was always there for me. My hero. Nothing brought him down. I just can't stand to see him like this."

I didn't wait for Mikey to reply, but instead turned around and left. I didn't have anyone to help me through this. The person who was always there for me through the tough times was laying in that hospital bed. He was in a coma.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My cell phone woke me up some time in the middle of the night. I looked at the screen and saw a number I didn't recognize. I answered it.

"Hello?" I said.

"Remy, it's Mikey."

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Gerard just woke up from his coma," he said. "He wants to see you."

"Oh," I said.

"Are you going to come?" he asked. "Or are you just going to go back to sleep like nothing happened?"

"I'll--I'll come," I said.

"Good choice," Mikey said, hanging up.

I got out of bed and threw on some clothes. I crept downstairs and out to the driveway. I got into my car and drove slowly to the hospital, scared of seeing Gerard again, especially since he'll be awake this time.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I hesitated just outside the entrance to his room. I watched as he talked quietly and happily with his family. I wish I could be just as calm as everyone else. I could try, but it probably wouldn't work. I moved a bit closer to the door. Gerard looked my way and smiled.

"Hey Remy," he said quietly.

"Hey," I said just as quietly. Everyone looked at me.

"Let's give these two some space," Gerard's mom said quietly. I moved out of the way as the Way family moved out of the room. Mikey was the last one out, shutting the door behind him. I stayed away from Gerard's bed, near the wall. We just stared at each other, waiting for one of us to break the silence.

"I know this is probably hard for you," Gerard said finally. I nodded my head. My eyes getting wetter the more I looked at his battered up face. "It's going to be ok."

I burst into tears.

"Hey," Gerard said quietly. "What's wrong?"

"I-It's just," I started, sniffling. "Those are the things I should be saying to you."

"Come here," he said. I hesitated for a moment before moving beside Gerard's bed. He moved over making space on the bed. I climbed in next to him, and we faced each other. "I don't want you to worry about me."

"But I do worry about you," I said. "I can't help it."

"You love me, right?" Gerard asked.

"Of course," I said. "Why would you ask me that?"

"I just want to make sure you'll do something for me," he said.

"I'd do anything for you," I replied.

"I know this is going to be hard for you," he said. "But I want you to stay strong. Things can only get better from here."

"But how do you know that?" I asked.

"I don't know that," he said. "But you just have to believe it. Can you do that for me?"

I thought about it.

"I guess," I said. He smiled.

"Don't be so pessimistic all the time," he said. "Not everything ends badly."

"If you say so," I said. Gerard smiled before kissing me softly.

"I say so."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?
~Sally