Status: Finished!

I Know I'm Not The One You Call When You Are Alone

Reception. The Park.

It was the night Josh was coming round for tea, I was so excited, we had been talking about it all day. It had taken Mrs Gilbert and Mrs Green all they had to calm the pair of us down, I’d never had a proper friend before, not like him.

As the bell went, I grabbed Josh’s hand and dragged him out of the classroom and onto the playground full of waiting parents.

“Mum!” I grinned, pointing happily at Josh.

“Hey Josh.” She smiled. “Had a good day?”

“It’s been good, we’ve been excited all day.”

“Aww.” She said ruffling my hair. “Do you want to go to the park first?”

“Yeah.” I cheered along with my best friend.

My mum walked up to the park. She sat on a bench with our bags and coats and watched us play around.

We played on the roundabout, spinning each other round, then climbing up the climbing frame. When we got to the swings, we struggled to push each other, he tried with all he had in him but I ended up falling forwards of it and straight onto the concrete floor. He rushed to my side, my knight in shining armor, and looked at my cut knee. The young boy pulled a face at the graze and the blood slowly dripping out, he wiped it away with the sleeve of his jumper and leant forward to kiss it better.

“It’s all better now.” He grinned. I stood up and hugged him.

My mum caught on, brought our belongings over to the swings and gave us a push each. It felt like I was flying. I’d never felt so fantastic. Thinking back on it now though makes me feel sick and queasy, I can’t handle swings anymore.

Its surprising how, when you are a child, you can get pushed about so much on roundabouts, swings, you name it but you can still run around like a maniac afterwards. Me and Joshua played tag for a while, until my mum called us over and said it was time to go home.

We walked home, as we lived close by, hand in hand and I still remember my mum smiling to herself everytime she looked at us.

When we arrived at my house my mum reeled off everything we could have. We agreed on chips, fish fingers and beans. Isn’t it surprising how I still remember that after 13 or so years.

After my mum put the food into the oven, me and Josh went upstairs to play with the toys in my room. First off we built little buildings and shapes out of multi coloured lego then we got out the play-doh and molded the shape of our hands into it and more shapes. Just as we were putting that away my mum called us down for dinner.

“Go wash your hands.” She told us as she sets the plates onto the table.

Our hands were washed and we sat at the table, tucking into our food. My mum started a little conversation with us, asking what we were doing and what we had made. I always loved chips and beans, I tended to dip them in.

“All finished.” I said.

“Just sit there and wait for me and Josh to finish like a good girl.”

“Fine.”

A short while later, the pair finished their food and the plates were put in the kitchen.
“Ice cream?”

“Yeaaah.”

I seated myself at the table once again and awaited my mum to bring us some pudding.

“Thanks mummy.”

“Oww.” I groaned as the cold food stung my extremely sensitive teeth.

We finished up and me and Josh sat in the living room watching Nickelodeon toons.

It was nearing 6:30 and Josh had to be home by 7, so he gathered up his belongings and stood by the door as my mum searched for her car keys as Josh lived quite far away.

“Thanks for coming Josh.” I said hugging him.

“Thanks for having me Alex.” He said hugging me back.

“See you tomorrow.”

“Yeah, thanks for having him Lynne.” His mum said to mine.

I waved him goodbye and looked at him through my window and my mum took me back home.

I thanked her for letting Josh stay, and went to bed with a huge smile on my face.