So Bring on the Rain, and Listen to the Thunder

Your Voice Was The Soundtrack Of My Summer

June 27th, 2007

He was there again. I stumbled upon my words as I walked up to him at the merch booth. My brother Alex was on warped tour with his band, he convinced me to go with. Alex was really close friends with this band called Boys Like Girls, I have to admit, they were really good.

“Hey,” I said walking up to the table.
“Hey,” He said smiling at me. It was normal that we saw each other on a daily basis now. I kept starring at him, hoping he would think I was looking at the shirts behind him.

“Your Alex’s sister right?” He asked.
“Yeah,” I smiled.
“Do you want to come hang out with us tonight?” He asked avoiding my eyes.
“Uhhh sure?” I hesitated.
“Meet us at our van after our set,” He said.
“Okay,” I said and turned around.
“Oh and Jasey,” He said making her turn around again.
“Yeah?”
“I know you didn’t come here to look at our merch,” He said and winked at me, making my insides turn mushy. I turned away again and walked back to where I was supposed to be, selling my brothers band’s merch.

July 4th, 2007

He asked me out two days ago. Yes it is official; Martin and I are going out. After weeks of flirting with each other and sneaking to each other’s merch booths, he asked me to be his girlfriend.

“Ready?” He asked waiting for me by my brothers van.
“Almost,” I said looking for my pair of black vans slip-ons.
“Ready,” I said crawling out of the van to put them on.
“You look …..” He paused, “Beautiful.”
“Thanks,” I blushed. I tried my best to look good tonight, so I picked out my good pair of preppy jeans and rolled them up so they were capris. I also grabbed my pink and blue stripped baby doll top that made me look like a little kid sometimes. My hair was accessorized with matching pink and blue bows.

As we walked down to the fireworks, Martin grabbed my hand, making the butterflies in my stomach act up. We stopped at a blanket he had put out there for us earlier, and together we watched the fireworks.

After the first 3 went off, Martin put his arms around me and held me there for a while as we both starred up at the sky.

“I’ve never met a girl like you,” He whispered into my ear. I smiled to myself, and sat up looking him in the eyes. He leaned closer to me, and I did the same. My eyes closed and his lips met mine just as another round of fireworks went off.

July 31st, 2007

Everyday I fall more and more for him. Martin is one hell of a guy, I don’t know what I would do if I lost him.

“I want to show you something,” He said tugging on my hand.
“Rian, you take over the merch booth for a while,” I said getting up and following him. He led me to a park a little bit away from the concert. We walked over to the sandbox and grabbed a stick that he had obviously left there. He drew a heart in the sand and then looked up at me. I choked on my words.

“I love you Jasey,” He said wrapping his arms around my waist as I just starred at the sand. This was the cutest thing he’s ever done.
“I love you too,” I said looking up at him with the brightest eyes you could imagine.

August 19th, 2007

I thought this day would never come.

“Jasey, we need to talk,” Martin said pulling me off to the side, away from everyone else.
“What’s going on?” I asked nervously. Lately he had been acting weird, like something bad is going to happen, weird.
“There’s no easy way to say this,” he sighed.
“Martin …”
“I don’t think we should see each other anymore,” he said bluntly.

I felt the tears build up in my eyes. He pulled me closer to him for a hug, but I pushed him away. My mouth tried to form words but nothing came out. So I just gave up and ran away from him, hoping nobody would see me cry.

Present Day. May 6th, 2008

“Jasey,” Alex said walking into her room.
“Go away!” I shouted, clinging on to her pillow.
“Jasey, come on, you have to come to the show tonight!” Alex groaned sitting on the edge of her bed.
“I can’t,” I said trying so hard not to cry.
“I’ll buy you a bunch of glamour kills stuff,” Alex offered. I thought about it for a second.
“Okay, only if you buy me a bunch of hoodies,” I said crawling out from underneath my sheets.
“Deal,” He said and walked out so I could change. I pulled on a pair of dark wash jeans and threw on a black All Time Low shirt. I looked around for a hoodie and all I found was his purple hoodie. I decided it was better than nothing and threw it on.

I stood backstage as I watched Boys Like Girls perform. Alex had probably run off with Jack to go meet fans or something. I should have gone with, but something told me to stay and watch.

“This song goes out to a very special girl who I met last summer on warped tour. I don’t know if she’s here tonight, but if she is, I’m sorry for doing that to you Jasey. I’m sorry for breaking your heart,” he said and moved away from the mic, just as the band began playing the song.

The guitar chords filled the air and his voice soon added to it.

“Today is a winding road that's taking me to places that I didn't want to go, Whoa.
Today in the blink of an eye I'm holding on to something and I do not know why, I tried

I tried to read between the lines, I tried to look in your eyes. I want a simple explanation, For what I'm feeling inside. I gotta find a way out, Maybe there's a way out,” He sang and she paid close attention to what he was saying.

“Your voice was the soundtrack of my summer
Do you know you're unlike any other? You'll always be my thunder, and I said Your eyes are the brightest of all the colors, I don't wanna ever love another
You'll always be my thunder. So bring on the rain, And bring on the thunder. Today is a winding road. Tell me where to start and tell me something I don't know
Whoa. Today I'm on my own I can't move a muscle and I can't pick up the phone
I don't know. And now I'm itching for the tall grass, And longing for the breeze
I need to step outside, Just to see if I can breathe
I gotta find a way out, Maybe there's a way out”


By now she was drowning in her own tears. This song meant so much to her now.

“Your voice was the soundtrack of my summer
Do you know you're unlike any other?
You'll always be my thunder, and I said
Your eyes are the brightest of all the colors
I don't wanna ever love another
You'll always be my thunder
And bring on the thunder, and I said
Your voice was the soundtrack of my summer
Do you know you're unlike any other?
You'll always be my thunder
So bring on the rain
Oh baby bring on the pain
And listen to the thunder.”


He finished singing and looked over to side of the stage where he saw me there, trying to hide my tears. He looked back out at the crowd acting as if he never saw me.

“You’ll always be my thunder Jasey, where ever you are,” He said and the crowd ‘awwed’. I ran out of there as fast as I could and stopped when I got outside, sliding down against the wall. The cool spring evening breeze blew against my face as the tears poured out of my eyes.

“I love you Martin,” I whispered into the night.

“I love you Jasey,” He said and stepped away from the mic as he walked off stage.