Heaven Is A Place For Angels

Chump

"What the fuck? Angela?" she heard the green-eyed man say, like he didn't know what to do next. He bent down beside her, putting a hand on her shoulder. She sat there and held her stomach and felt the tears coming down on her red cheeks. She couldn't and didn't want to speak, she just felt so ashamed.

"Who the fuck was that guy? Why the fuck did he do that to you? Give me one fucking reason why I shouldn't run after him and beat the shit out of him," he said, and you could hear that he was really angry. He really should cut down the swearwords, she thought. She didn't say anything, 'cause she knew that her voice would only break down if she spoke.

"That's it," he said and stood up, and got ready to go after the guy. Angela gathered some courage.

"Because I want you to stay with me, you jerk," she said suddenly, Billie looked shocked. "And that dude would probably kick your ass. You're not the one he hit, and you don't know how strong he is." Billie tried to take in what he'd just heard.

"I...shit...I'm so sorry. I..." he started as he scratched his head and just looked confused.

"What's your bloody problem?" Angela said, and she was on the edge of breaking down and cry again. "I've been beaten and I need comfort, and you're just standing there like 'what the fuck?' It... hurts... so... much," she continued.

The pain in her stomach didn't ease, but she wanted it to. He bent down beside her again, and this time he tried to give her comfort. He tried to remember what he would do if one of his boys had fallen of their bicycles. He stroked her red cheek, not to hard to hurt her and pulled her into a hug. Angela couldn't ask for anything else. Now she felt safe.

"Sorry I yelled at you before," Angela mumbled, but Billie heard her.

"It's okay, I deserved it. I can be such a jerk sometimes, like you said," he aswered softly.
"But I know one thing," he continued. "And that's that you didn't deserve this."

Angela swallowed. She didn't want to think about what had happened. She just wanted to forget.

"You know what?" Billie said to her.

"No, what?" she said.

"We'll dedicate Platypus to that fucking shit!" he whispered and Angela couldn't do anything but laugh.

"I'm all with you about that," she giggled. For the first time this day she felt really relieved. She let go of him, and he let go of her. They sat there and looked at each other. Angela tipped her head to the side and watched those green eyes, which were not surrounded by eyeliner.

"Billie..." she started.

"Yes?" he said.

"How come you found me? I mean, you didn't follow us, did you?" she said and gave him a weird look.

"Hell no, what do you think of me? I'm not a fucking stalker," he said like he was being insulted.

"Shit," Angela mumble. "Skip the second question. How did you find me then?"

Billie took a deep breath, just to gather himself.
"Well, you know, I write a lot of songs when I'm going..."

"...on walks" Angela finished.

"Hey," he said. "You interrupted me."

"I watch Bullet in a Bible, you know" she giggled.

"You don't say. Anyway, I needed a walk, after all that shit" he continued. "I walked by the club, and that woman, the daugther of the woman we're working with, came outside and walked up to me. She wondered if I had seen you, because you had disappeared. I hadn't, she continued her searching and I kept walking, having an extra eye open, if I should see you. I heard noices from this alley and walked over here to see what was going on, and there you were."

"Lovely story," Angela said and tried to smile. She continued. "I never thought that you would be like this, you know."

"Like what?"

"I mean, you care, you really do. I'm just another nobody who tries to break into this world."

"And you know what, I just want to make you feel heard," he said and blinked his eye. "That is a good lyric." Angela didn't respond to his supposed-to-be-compliment.

"But why? I'm not that special. I'm not sure if I stick out in a crowd. I mean, you really shouldn't bother about me. I've never done anything big in all my life, and I'm not that good at anything," she said without breathing, and Billie easily gave her a puff.

"Breathe, okay? I really could get mad right now, you know, 'cause you won't understand that I may make friends with whomever I want to," he said.

"But why me?" she said in a loud voice.

"Because you're nice, you idiot!" he said, even he in a loud voice. Angela felt like she shrunk, and she felt small again. She broke down in tears again, but she didn't want to. Billie just took her hand and pulled her to him, making her lean on his shoulder. She sobbed, and none of her thoughts were clear. He told her not to speak, and tried to make her to feel safe again. She had been through a lot this evening, and she shouldn't have.

"I'm sorry," she whispered in-between her sobbing.

"Nah, little lady, you shouldn't be sorry for a goddamn thing," he said as he stroke her dark hair.

"Just let me be sorry, okay?" she said in a settled tone.

"Fine, I'll let you be sorry, but not for long," he answered.

"I don't know you, but I think I hate you," she sang, but she didn't know why.

"You're the reason for my misery," he continued.

"Strange how you've become my biggest enemy."

"And I've never even seen your face," he finished, and smiled.

"Sorry, the song did just suit," Angela said quickly.

"You're right, it did suit this occasion," he said back to her.

"We could sit here all night, you know that?" she said, not to make a suggestion but to make it kind of clear that it could happen.

"I know. I just don't want to push you. You'll decide when you feel ready to go back. We even might have to get you to a hospital," he answered.

"No, not the hospital," Angela said. She wouldn't want her father to worry that much. And the pain in her stomach had eased a little. "And I don't want to go home yet, but on the other hand, I would like to go back... I don't know."

"It's okay, take your time," he said.

"You'll help me?"

"I would have really lost my mind if I wouldn't," he said and tried to make her laugh, but it wasn't a success.

"Just help, will you," she said with determination. He nodded and got up on his feet, giving her his hand, to help her to get on her feet. She gladly accepted the help. Unfortunately her legs were very unsteady, and she had to grab onto Billie's arm to stand still. They stood there for a minute, so Angela could get her balance back. They walked a couple of metres and then established that Angela was almost restored, well, she hadn't got any troubles with walking at least. She held on to Billie's arm, just in case, but she couldn't help to look back every fifth minute.

"Calm down, he won't be back," Billie said to calm her down.

"What do you know about that? He might have gone and told his friends, and now they're after us," Angela said, and she sounded kind of paranoid.

"Well, at least you've got good ol' Billie here with ya, to protect you from any danger," he said and held his head high. Angela couldn't resist from noticing it.

"Billie... "

"Yes?"

"You called yourself old."

"Nah, I didn't."

"Yes, you did."

"When?"

"Just now."

"What did I say then?"

"You said that I've got "good ol' Billie"," Angela said and burst into laughter. Billie just told her to be quiet and mumbled something that she could not hear. They made up and decided that they would take a detour back to the house, just to get a little more out of the Spanish environment. Every time they passed some gang with Spanish guys hanging around Angela pulled in Billie's arm, just to see if he was still there. Luckily for her, he was always there.

"What if I see him again?" Angela mumbled.

"Then I'll see what I'll do," Billie answered and snapped his shoulders.

"Please don't get into a fight," she said and sounded worried. "I don't want him to ruin your pretty face." That made Billie smile and then look serious.

"After him almost ruining your pretty face, I don't see any reasons why I shouldn't ruin his face," he said with an angry tone.

"How sweet," she said, as she tried to find that funny, but she failed.

They got into discussing music, Angela's future, Green Day's future and all the things they could think of. All the questions Angela she would like to ask her idol earlier was gone. Now, all she had left in her mind was stories to tell her grandchildren when she got old. Now and then she asked him questions that hit her like a lightning.

"Billie?"

"Mhm."

"What will happen when you really grow old?"

"I hope I die before I get old, you know," he said. Angela bit her lip.

"That's such a rip-off," she said and rolled her eyes.

"Pardon?" Billie said as he raised an eyebrow. Angela couldn't contain herself and sung (or maybe shouted) the first verse of 'My Generation' by The Who.

"People try to put us down."
("Talkin' bout' my generation,")
Billie filled in.
"Just because we all get around."
("Talkin' 'bout my generation.")
"Things they do look awful cold."
("Talkin' 'bout my generation.")
"I hope I die before I get old."
("Talkin bout my generation")


"You're fucking right, you know," he said and laughed. "I'm such a rip-off."

"Shut your mouth," she said and pretended to slap him. "You are not a rip-off. You are a talented songwriter, rock legend, wonderful creature and you do have the sexiest singing voice in the whole bloody world."

"Imagine hearing that from a 15 year old girl," he said to insult her.

"Soon to be 16 year old girl you mean. And better that, than hearing it from my father, but I doubt that he would tell you something like that. Has he told you about his favourite among your songs?"

"Nah, should he have?"

"I'm not surprised if he wouldn't. Anyway, he's very fond of Good Riddance," she said and smiled.

"Yeah, that piece of shit," he said and laughed. Angela looked offended and gave him a weird look. "Just kidding, okay? Why does he like it?"

"I chose the song to be in a home made video with Emanuel, and he said that I chose a really good song, and he got stuck to it. And he was really surprised when I told him that it was you that played the guitar on it as well," Angela said and wondered if he would get mad after what she had said.

"Oh, you chose the nice perspective of the song, good thing, for Emanuel," Billie said. He wasn't quite aware of the insult, and it took him some minutes to figure it out.

"Hey!" he said at last. Angela couldn't hold her giggling back.

At that point they had reached the house and the lights were still on. Angela stopped and looked at the door. She seemed to have second thoughts.

"Let's go for another round," she said and laughed nervously, dragging Billie with her. Billie just stopped and looked at her.

"We're going in, whatever you like it or not now," he said with determination. "Let me look at you." Reluctantly Angela looked at him as he put his hands on her shoulders, scanning her face. The cheeks were still red, and he raised an eyebrow.

"You might get a bruise, sorry to tell you," he said and sighed.

"Shit, dad will freak out," she said, and was on the edge of crying again.

"Take it easy, we'll cover it. But you've got to tell him, whatever happens. I'll be there if you want me to," he said to make her feel calm.

"No, no, no, that's something I've got to solve by myself," she said. She didn't want to drag him into something.

"If that is what you want, then its fine," he said and smiled. "Let's go inside now." He dragged her with him.

"Billie... "

"Mhm... "

"Now I cannot speak. I've lost my voice. I'm speechless and redundant, 'cause 'I love you's not enough. I'm lost for words. Don't take it the wrong way," Angela said and looked down at her feet.

"I wouldn't, but thanks," he answered and smiled. "Now, take a deep breath, and we'll walk inside."

"Wait... " she said and stopped him and pulled him into a hug. She just needed that before hell broke loose. He smiled and hugged back, making her feel his calmness. She let go of him.

"I'm ready," she said.

"I said 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4," he said in that concert-voice again, and the door opened.