Heaven Is A Place For Angels

Twenty Four Hours

"Who would have known that this little village could hold such a big shopping-space, or whatever you wanna call it," Adrienne said and sounded excited as they were walking down the street. She was holding both her husband's arm, and Angela's, and anyone could sense that she was in a good mood. The cry-out Angela had had before had actually helped. She felt much lighter now, but it didn't change the fact that she looked behind her every fifth minutes. A breeze blew through the village and Angela forced the couple to stop. She just wanted to feel the cold wind on her cheek. She had always loved those things, like feeling the wind in her hair, and to watch the stars at night with one of her friends. She missed it, and for a second, like a few times before, she just wanted to go home. Adrienne looked at her with comprehension, while Billie tried to understand the girl, and he found it hard.

"You've got weird habits, you know," he said when she finally faced them.

"I'd like too keep it mysterious," she replied as she pouted a bit, raising an eyebrow, and actually giving him a mysterious look, making Billie wince and make a weird face himself.

"Oh, get along you two," Adrienne sighed and pushed both of them on their shoulders.

"Now, follow me," she commanded, and the man and girl walked after the awesome woman. Her eyes were fixed on a store, a so-called Supermarket, which seemed to have a sale on sunglasses. Angela's eyes caught something else. Next to the Supermarket there was a store that seemed to sell loads of CD: s and they were cheap as well. Suddenly Angela was very excited.

"I'll just go over there, if you two are going in there," she said and pointed at the store. Billie glared at her, then at the store, and back to her again. He seemed to be split, like he didn't want to let her go on her own. Angela rolled her eyes and patted his shoulder and walked toward the store.

"We'll be over soon, after we've checked the sunglasses," he yelled after her. She turned around and stuck her tongue out, which made him confused.

"You're so vain, Billie, face it," she said suddenly, and made him even more confused, but also made Adrienne giggle a bit.

"She's kind of right you know," she said and smiled.

"You're just so jealous of my good looks," he replied and stoked her cheek as he sighed.

"I think it's kind of vice versa," she said and made her way to the Supermarket, and immediately started to search among the two piles of sunglasses. Some were small, some large, some extremely ugly, and some really cool ones. She put a pair on, that kind of covered half her face. Billie sighed and went to her, dragging his feet after him. She smiled at him, and forced a pair on him as well, and next they were all up in their own world.

* * *

Angela searched through the lines of the CDs, they were new and old and some that you couldn't expect to find there. She knew what she was after, but she couldn't avoid finding stuff that made her more than happy.

"Mother will freak out," she said as she grabbed a CD with the text "Joy Division - Permanent" on it. She shook her head while she tried to remember the lyric of her favourite Joy Division-song. It was called "Twenty Four Hours," and had always seemed to make her feel better.

"So this is permanence, love's shattered pride. What once was innocent, turned on its side. Grey clouds hangs over me, marks every move. Deep in the memory, of what once was love."

She kept mumbling while she looked after other CDs, still holding the album in her hand.

"Oh, how I realised how I wanted time. Put into perspective, tried so hard to find. Just for one moment I thought I'd found my way. Destiny unfolded - I watched it slip away."

She hadn't thought about that song for months, it was such a long time ago.

"Excessive flashpoints, beyond all reach. Solitary demands for all I'd like to keep. Let's take a ride out, see what we can find. A valueless collection of hopes and past desires."

A smile spread across her face; other songs than Green Day's could keep her spirit up.

"I never realised the lengths I'd have to go. All the darkest corners of a sense I didn't know. Just for one moment I heard somebody call. Looked beyond the day in hand - there's nothing there at all."

She came to the last part of the lyric, her favourite; one of the best lyrics in the world, in her opinion.

"Now that I've realised how it's all gone wrong. Got to find some therapy, this treatment takes too long. Deep in the heart of where sympathy held sway. Got to find my destiny before it gets too late."

That was it, one of the greatest songs in the world, in her world. She let out a sigh as she stopped searching among the CD: s, this would do, one CD for her mother. Right as she was heading to the counter (where a large Spanish man stood and watched her now and then, though his smile never faded) she discovered a table in a corner with loads of different posters on it, like they were just dropped there like that, and Angela couldn't hold on to herself. Her eyes and hands searched through the ones on top of everything, and soon realized that she was disappointed. Most of the posters were of Britney Spears, sad to say.

"What is it with Spears, posters and foreign countries?" she asked herself and rolled her eyes. She looked around, no one was in the store, except herself and the owner, and she suddenly felt insecure. Until now she had forgotten about everything, and ignored it. With another sigh she put her headphones which lead to her iPod and pressed play. An Alice in Chains-song began to play and she smiled, once again she ignored everything. For a good five minutes she looked through the posters, and she found some good ones, but they were not worth buying, she thought. She was in her own world, where no one could enter without her permission, and no one had ever been there...yet.

She felt a hand playing with her hair, but it didn't seem to frighten her. Instead, it made her feel comfortable. The thing was that when a hand (maybe the same one) grabbed her shoulder, she reacted. Without even thinking she turned around and slapped the person standing behind her, not hard, but as a warning.

"What the...?! Angela!" the person yelled, as he moaned with pain a bit. She opened her eyes and gazed on him.

"Billie? You porridge bastard, what did you do that for?" she asked him; as if it was his entire fault that she had slapped him.

"I'm a wha? Why did I...you just...oh, fuck," he rambled. "I just wanted to let you know that we were here."

"Did you play with my hair?" she asked, because she went through what just had happened in her head. Billie looked like he couldn't know less what she talked about.

"Did you smack your head yesterday? 'Cause you're talking a lot of shit," he said, now he without thinking. Angela couldn't be more hurt than by those words he had just said. She couldn't cry anymore, she just looked at him with hatred in her eyes, and it seemed to frighten him a little.

"You idiot, you just went over the line there," Adrienne announced.

"I think I know that, dear," he replied, in that stubborn voice. "And no, I didn't play with your hair, and I can't think of why I would do that either," he said, as he turned his head back to Angela.

"Like...trying to scare me?" Angela said back to him.

"It looks like I managed that without touching anything but your shoulder."

"Oh..." she was speechless, he was kind of right. But she couldn't stop thinking about that first hand, the hand that had been playing with her hair. Maybe it was... him. Immediately she felt scared and made her fists. He face turned pale and she stared into nothing.

"I think I've been attacked by every member of this family now, except Iona, and I'm kind of proud of it," Billie said. Adrienne punched him on the shoulder easily and gazed on him and then on Angela, noticing that something was wrong.

"Ángel, you shouldn't care about what he says, he's on a bad mood," she said, to make the girl feel a little bit better. Angela shook her head, and Billie dug his hands into his pockets, just mumbling. Angela searched through her head for words to explain why she felt like she felt.

"I...I think I'm going paranoid," she said with doubt.

"I'm sure you aren't," Adrienne said to calm her down, and put her hands on her shoulders, making her stare into her eyes instead of nothing. "You're just confused."

"I just had the scariest like...day-dream," Angela started. "Just before you grabbed my shoulder, Billie, someone like...played with my hair while I stood there. And it felt so...safe."

"I think she IS going para..." Billie mumbled in Adrienne's ear, but quickly got a punch as response.

"I shouldn't be telling you this anyway. Let's go?" Angela said and walked toward the counter. Adrienne gave her a sympathetic look and then walked after her, followed by Billie Joe. Angela paid for her CD and walked out of the store, feeling the Spanish sun against her skin. It started to draw near two in the afternoon, and lunch and siesta was soon to be. Billie Joe and Adrienne would be heading back to their hotel-room and Angela was going back home to Iona and Theo's place.

"Are you two coming around later?" she asked the couple.

"We'll see, otherwise we'll just might meet each other when you're out in the town. Theo said something about that," Billie answered.

Angela swallowed, she wasn't sure that she could make an evening out, with all those young Spanish guys running around. She started to walk toward her sister's home but turned around and faced them, waving her hand.

"Yeah, well then, bye."