Heaven Is A Place For Angels

Trying to understand.

He shook his head in disbelief as she told him that. Her plan didn't seem to work, because he seemed to actually think that she was going crazy.

"Angela, look, I know..." he started, but immediately got interrupted.

"No, you look; you don't know one damn thing. I just want to keep you informed about what I see, since you found me yesterday. Not to make you help me, realizing that I'm kind of disturbed, because I'm very clear about that myself already," she said and pointed a finger at him. He winced and frowned.

"But it is kind of disturbed, you know," he said, clearly irritated. Angela didn't answer him, because he clearly knew what she would say about it anyway.

"Get some help, will you," he muttered and turned around to walk back.

"So, is that it? Have I lost your respect now? Do I have to earn it again? I can't fucking do anything about it. I've got to tell someone, and... I trust you," she said, not as loud as she wanted to. He stopped and looked down on his feet and the ground.

"You know, I've known you for...three days? I can't believe I've made such a bond with you during that time, and you're what, 17 years younger than me? That's weird, you know, too weird," he said and went silent for a couple of seconds. He turned around halfway and regarded the large town park, where small children ran around, still playing at that hour.

"I know," she said, her voice was kind of weak.

"You've opened up like hell and yet I can't understand a thing about you," he said and made a nervous laugh.

"Few can."

"But that's the thing. I should be one of them, right? I mean, you say I can understand you better than any other person, but through my lyrics. Shouldn't that count for something?"

Angela didn't have an answer for that, all she could do was to look at him and feel defeated.

"I've had enough soon. All I wanted was a nice vacation with my wife, and on that point, I'm kind of disappointed."

Angela felt so guilty; he was right. She had destroyed their vacation in Spain, and she didn't want to anymore.

"Then...just don't bother anymore. You'll feel better, you'll get to spend time with Adrienne, and I'll just...make the best out of the situation," she said, like it was like an order.

"But there comes that bond again. I can't help it. It's like...I'm drawn to you, you and your mysterious inventions. "

"Like almost...getting raped?"

"Shut up. No, other things, and I'm fascinated. There's the truth; I'm fascinated by you." He had just given her a good explanation, an explanation that told her why he was acting like that around her all the time, why he cared so much.

"Well, that's...odd," she said as her eyes widened and got back to their normal size again. "What are you guys doing tomorrow?"

"Pfft, I thought...hey, what's up with the changing of subject?" He said and frowned against her. At least she got him to face her, though she didn't want to have eye contact yet.

"I'm trying to make things bloody right again, you idiot, don't ruin this now," she hissed.

"Oh, well, I...y'know...maybe...who am I trying to fool? I have no plans yet," he said and then sighed heavily.

"I've got one. Want to hear?" Angela said and smiled that mysterious smile again.

"Shoot," he said and scratched the back of his head.

"Well, Iona told me about a place, like 7, 46 miles from this village. It's like a castle or something. And Theo said that sometimes when people go there, they find inner peace or something like that. Wouldn't it be romantic?" She finished and finally looked into his eyes to see if he found it interesting or not. To her joy, he smiled and made a small laugh.

"Uhm, yeah, that sounds...cool."

"So you'll go there? I bet Adrienne would love it," she said and made a dreamy look.

"You think so?"

"I know so."

"I'll talk to Theo, okay? About the road," he said and made a sigh of relief.

"Marvelous, and you have to tell me everything tomorrow night," she ordered.

"Not the details though."

"Probably too dirty for me, skip that," she said and laughed, then went silent again with a weird expression on her face.

"What is it now?" Billie said, once again irritated by her sudden I-think-I-want-to-act-weird-now-moment.

"Sorry, I realized how right this feels," she said and smiled, a little bit shy.

"Weirdo," he said while he rolled his eyes. "Want to join me back? I think we're done here." He offered his arm to her and she gladly took it, and they walked back toward the table. If Angela thought she saw right, Andrew was possibly even more bored than he was before. He and Emanuel seemed to have a contest about who could do the weirdest face. Emanuel was winning. Iona and Theo's mother, who had joined them, was watching the contest, really amused. Stephen and Theo were up in a kind of serious discussion, about the workers of Spain. Adrienne drew in her drawing-book, ignoring everything around her.

"We shouldn't disturb her, should we?" Angela asked, watching the woman's hand flow gently over the paper.

"Nah, let her just wake up by herself, so she won't turn into an angry bitch," he answered, and expected that he would manage to get a small glare from his wife, but she was too far away in her own world.

"I knew she was a designer, but I didn't know she drew, just like that." Billie poked her on the arm with no understandable reason, but it was actually something she could do sometimes as well.

"You didn't read that interview where I said I did it too, did you?" He said and sighed.

"Cool," she said and nodded slightly; not trying to keep the conversation going. Billie shook his head and patted hers.

"Why aren't you acting like a crazy fan-girl, woman?" He said and tried to act like a priest who was about to forgive a sinner.

"Do I have to tell you over and over again? I don't wanna come across as a bloody teenie. I once tried for God's sake to not know a goddamn thing about you guy's private lives and that didn't turn out so good, did it? Now I just don't want to get too much involved because it would kill me if I never would meet you again ever in my life," she said, almost without breathing. So she finished if off with taking in a deep breath. Billie shrunk and waved his hands against her.

"Whoa, I would be satisfied with a simple 'because... ' but that's just like..." He didn't seem to manage to find the word he was searching for.

"Bullshit?" She said, to help, but with a sense of humor, but didn't even make Billie smile.

"Not if you ask me," he replied, still searching in his head. "Deep, there we have it, that's fucking deep." He made a proud face.

"Don't over joy yourself now, okay? Good boy," she said to tease him.

"Do you know what time it is?" He said to change subject, at least they were even now. Angela grabbed her mobile phone from her shoulder bag and looked at it.

"The clock's going near one in the morning," she said and yawned slightly, she was actually beginning to feel a bit tired at that point.

"You need to get to bed, Ángel, I can see that, y'know," he said and stroked her cheek. She nodded thankfully and went over to pat on her father's shoulder.

"Papá, can we go back home now?" she asked him, and gave him a tired look.
Theo answered instead of Stephen.

"We'll just pay that bastard, and then we're off." Angela blew him a kiss, and he playfully grabbed it and put it into his pocket. She gave him a thumbs up, and then looked over to Billie who was trying to bring back Adie from her own world, and Angela knew how tough that could be to a dreaming mind.

"You just can't wait until we get to that hotel room, can you?" He said as he gently wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her to him. She was kind of near sleep; it must have been a tough day for her, with all that shopping.

"Mmm...bed," she mumbled, and took a deep breath. "Sounds good, baby."

She leaned against her husband's body as they started to walk a bit on their way back. Angela didn't have the heart to follow, she felt good about just watching them in the moonlight. I should own my own camera, she thought and sighed.

"You want me to join you?" Theo as he walked up to her left.

"Be my guest," she said, feeling light as a feather again, smiling at him. He patted her shoulder and they started to walk, and was soon followed by Andrew, Stephen and Iona who hauled the perambulator, where Emanuel slept like a small angel.

"I really should talk to you a lot more," she said and made him quite surprised by her statement.

"Oh," he said at first. "Nah, I don't want to force it on you, really."

"But I bet I know a lot more about you than you know about me, huh?" She said and glanced at him, curiously.

"My God, you're right," he said and hit his forehead slightly. "Don't really know much about you, really, 'cept when your father asks you questions in front of me."

"I know, but we've had some interesting conversations, though," she said, remembering when he visited their home, as he had done twice since they learned about him. And they discussed the difference between America and England. She couldn't remember how the discussion ended though.

"Yes," he said, and smiled, she could see that he also remembered. "Ángel, you've got to open up more"

"It's harder than you think," she said and frowned, making a painful expression.

"Nah, it's not, you've just got to learn how to not be afraid to interrupt and say what you think. I got to learn that pretty quickly, because...I'm Spanish."

"Like that has something to do with it," she said and rolled her eyes, sighing.

"Yes, yes it has," he said easily. She had put her arm around his; it felt more comfortable that way, to talk to him. He didn't resist or anything and that was a good sign.

"Promise that you won't be scared to talk to me, okay?" He said suddenly. Angela thought for a moment.

"As you wish, sir," she answered and made a salute.

"You're a funny little angel, aren't you?" He said and smiled.

"Why does everyone have to make such a big deal of my name?" She said, irritated.

"It suits you, and everyone notices it."

"Whoo," she sounded and sighed after that. "I'll just have to live with it."

"Yes, yes you have," he said, sounding smart.

Angela hadn't noticed it until now that the couple before them had stopped and waited for her and Theo to walk to them. Adrienne was still a little sleepy, but Billie made her not fall asleep. He himself, on the other hand, had lively eyes, and Angela wondered if he would even go to bed this night.

"You're heading this way, and we're heading that, so we'll say goodnight here," Billie said, and helped Adrienne to sit down on a park bench, and then turned to Theo and Angela.

"Angie, can I talk to you, and Theo, if she falls asleep...just poke her," he said and took Angela aside.

"Angie?" Angela said, and made a grin.

"Whatever," he said and looked over to Theo and Adrienne quickly and then back to Angela.

"What's up?" she said, relaxed.

"I remember what you said."

"I say a lot of things."

"'It would kill me if I never would meet you again ever in my life'" he quoted.
"Oh," she said and bit one of her nails, knowing it was a bad habit.

"So I can't actually leave without solving this shit," he said, scratching his head, one of his old habits that Angela had noticed, along with some of the other Green Day fans.

"Oh." She couldn't really say anything other than that.

"Weird," he mumbled quickly, shook his head, faced her and then put his hands on her shoulders. "Not tonight though, 'cause some sleep would be useful. Come here."

He pulled her into a warm comforting hug, and she was still in some kind of shock, but she returned his warmness.

"We'll solve it," he mumbled into her ear.

"Thank you," she whispered back, wanting to cry, but wasn't able to. She let go of his embrace, and looked at Theo and Adrienne.

"You still have to talk to Theo about the castle," she said, reminding him.

"Oh, yes. Will you just give us a minute?" He asked, as they started to walk back to them.

"Yes, yes I will," she said, copying Theo's way of saying things.

Adrienne seemed to be closer and closer to actually fall asleep, but she managed to have her eyes open, staring into nothing.

"I had to poke once or twice." Theo excused himself.

"That's alright, but can I talk to you for a bit, mate?" Billie asked politely. Theo nodded and followed Billie aside, where they started to talk. Angela sat down beside the beautiful woman with dreads, admiring them.

"You tired?" She asked, with a tone of shyness.

"Mhm," Adrienne said and leaned her head on Angela's shoulder. She just stroked the older woman's cheek and letting her rest there, but not fall asleep. The two men came back after a few minutes, followed by the rest of the family. Billie gave Angela a thumbs up and winked at her. It looked like the couple would go on a nice, romantic trip tomorrow, after all.

"So, we'll just say good-bye here, right?" Stephen said, bringing the attention to him.

"Yeah, night, beast," Billie said and smiled at the man, who was much older than himself. Stephen was too tired to make a big deal out of it, he just groaned and said something that sounded like "night, you brat". Billie came over to Adrienne and helped her up the same way he did back at the bar.

"Alright, night everyone, beast, Andrew, Iona, Theo...and little Emanuel," he said and then turned to Angela. "We'll work it out, I promise. Night, Angie, sweet dreams," he said to her in a low voice. Angela smiled at him and made a small wave. They at last disappeared down the street.

"Who's up for some tapas?" Stephen said, to joke, but got an evil look from both of his younger kids, which meant 'say-that-again-and-we'll-make-your-life-a-living-hell'.