Handsome Is As Handsome Does

twelve

Four days. That was how long Caiden had been at his boarding school and Adelaide already felt like she was missing a part of herself.

The time in which she would have normally spent with Caiden was filled with lessons on the history of everything; the royal family, England and it's relations with other countries, the D'Amont family and etiquette and manners that were to be expected of her.

With only 14 days left until the auction, the pressure was mounting on Adelaide. And today was no different.

Tomorrow evening was the 50th wedding anniversary of Sir Albert and Madame Elizabeth Wainwright. The huge ball that they were hosting had been the talk of the town for the last year at least, and it was highly anticipated to be the second biggest ball of the year, followed closely behind the auction. Eleanor thought this would be the perfect opportunity to introduce Adelaide to the upper class socialites, if you wanted any hope of her passing as one of 'them'.

This is what led to Adelaide passing impatiently through the hallways, glancing at the clock every 10 seconds or so.

The 'ding' of the doorbell broke Adelaide from her trance, a new feeling of hope spreading through her body.

"Thank god you're he-here..." Adelaide started to say before she fully realised that the person at the door was not who she expected it to be. Instead Jacob stood infront of her, a playful smirk spread across his face.

"I'm guessing you weren't expecting it to be me?"

"I-I'm sorry Jacob..."

"Jake, call me Jake..."

"I'm sorry, Jake, I thought you were someone else. Did you want me to fetch Tristan for you?"

"No need, Princess, I'm here." A startled squeak escaped Adelaide's mouth as she turnt to see the devil himself. "Now, if you want to run along, Jake and I have some business to attend to."

The doorbell sounded for a second time, and Adelaide practically sprinted to the door. This time it was who she was waiting for.

"Pippa!" was the name that left not one but two peoples mouths.

"Jake? Wh-what are you doing here?"

"You know Adelaide? B-but how?!"

Adelaide and Tristan both shared a look of confusion, as Jake and Pippa shared a tight embrasse. How did they not know that these two knew each other?

"Jake, what the fuck is going on right now?"

"Tris, I'd like you to meet Pippa. We've been friends for the last few years..."

"But we haven't seen each other in months! How's your family? Has Fiona had the baby yet?"

Adelaide zoned out of the conversation, thinking it best to let them have a catch up after months of not seeing each other. Adelaide could read her best friend like no other, and the sparkle in her eyes made her feelings for Jake very apparent.

"Are you up to much today Jake? We're going shopping, you should come along!" Pippa said, bringing me back to the conversation.

"I'll escort you beautiful ladies if you wish. Is that okay with you Addy? Tris?"

"Man, I thought we were hanging out with Britt, her friends and the guys today!"

"Come on, Tris, we do that all the time!"

"Okay, you owe me though man."

__________________

"Ade, just pick a dress already!"

"Tristan, this is the first time anyone is going to 'see' me. Your grandmother said I have to get the perfect dress, so unless you start co-operating with myself, Pippa and Jake."

For the last 2 hours Pippa and Jake had been off in their own world, whilst Tristan was left on dress picking duty. Every dress that Adelaide chose either made her look 'like a person of a much older age' or 'like a slut'.

Finally her eyes fell on the perfect dress. An elegant golden, yellow dress with a sweep train and an open, yet graceful, back. The young lady made a dash for the changing room as soon as she found her size, Pippa following close behind.

The dress fit perfectly, hugging all of her curves in a modest, feminine way and making her feel like she hadn't in a very long time; confident.

"You look beautiful, Addy! You'll wow everyone at the ball tomorrow."

"I have got the perfect dress, I don't need to keep looking anymore!" She declared to the two males as Pippa and herself left the changing room. Tristan's left eyebrow shot up onto his face, an ever present smirk following close by.

"Really? Is it something Grandmother would approve of?"

"You'll just have to wait and see, won't you, Tristy-Bear."

"She'll have you thrown into a large, open ocean if you screw this up, Addy-cakes."

With that retort, Adelaide turnt away from the boy and made her way to the cash machine, a loud laugh erupting from the pit of her stomach.

"That'll be £1,200 please, ma'am," the cashier said with a smile to which Adelaide returned as she handed over a credit card Eleanor had given her for occasions such as these.

The others had already started making their way towards the car, leaving Adelaide in a world of her own as she wandered back to the car.

Suddenly her body collided with another, causing her to tumble to the ground. In protecting the bag with the dress in, the content of her bag laid sprawled across the sidewalk.

"I'm so sorry, ma'am," a beautiful voice said, "here let me help you." The man bent down allowing Adelaide scope to observe the perpetrator. His eyes were the first thing she noticed. They were so green that they appeared to sparkle.

"Sorry for not introducing myself. I'm Daniel Rothschild, but you can call me Dan."