Handsome Is As Handsome Does

fourteen

The car slowly pulled up to the large gated house, allowing the eye to behold it in its magnificent grandeur. The lights from within the house made the house appear to be sparkling and the exultant laughs and conversations could be heard even before entering the houses grounds.

The nerves were visibly apparent on Adelaide's face, causing Jacob to laugh and grab her hand in an endearing way.

"It'll be okay, Ade, I promise. If you need to get out, just give me a sign."

"A sign?" Adelaide replied, laughter in her eyes.

"I don't know, wink or something. Whatever shit gets my attention without making you look like a total degenerate. Now, are you ready to meet the high society benders and shakers?"

Adelaide nodded her head confidently before grasping Jacob's arm as they exited the car. Her mood had shifted from nervous to sheer determination. Only a few more weeks and she'd be free to live wherever she wanted to, comfortably, whilst ensuring her brother got everything he deserved.

Whilst entering the building with two other 'couples', Adelaide's confidence shrank a little. The people surrounded her radiated elegance and decorum, their bodies held confidence whilst their tones and conversations mirrored that of a stereotypical high society flier. However, their reaction to her was one that surprised both herself and Jacob.

Both of the couples, after spotting the new pair waiting to be announced into the ball, smiled welcomingly at the male and female. Both of the men shook Jacob's hand, whilst the woman carried on smiling towards Adelaide.

"Mr. Heinman, how lovely it is to see you again," One of the men said to Jacob, whilst he shook his hand. "My, how you have grown, you are looking more and more like your father every day."

"And who, might I ask, is this fine lady?" The other gentleman said next, now looking pointedly at Adelaide.

"Thank you, Mr. Thompson, and this is Miss Adelaide Wilson, Dr. Austin. She is Mrs. D'amont's distant niece, and is staying with the family for the next couple of weeks."

The lady's excitement rose. "Will you be staying for the charity auction that is approaching, Miss Wilson?"

Nerves bubbled in Adelaide's stomach. She felt bile rise up in her throat, having to push it back down to the depths of her core before she could utter the one syllable word “yes” in response.

If I didn’t have so much depending on this, Adelaide thought, I’d be on my way to the other side of the country by now.

A short, smartly dressed man interrupted the meeting, telling the couples to get ready to enter into the main ballroom.

“Don’t worry, Ade, you’ll do amazingly. They’ll all love you,” Jacob whispered quietly. Getting Pip to tell Jacob exactly what was going on, ensuring that he knew not to tell anyone, especially not Brittany, was one of her smarter ideas. “It’s show time, sweet cheeks.”

As the two previous couples were announced into the room, silence fell, allowing the already present guests to behold the new individuals in their entire splendor. A slow mummer spreads its way through the crowd as she felt eyes stare at her.

New faces to the community were not normal. Speculation about ‘new money’ and ‘married rich’ normally ran through the room to explain the reason for this new person’s appearance. However, due to Adelaide’s young age, neither of these explanations seemed to fit.

A smirk spread across Jacob’s face. He relished the idea that these women, who pride themselves on knowing everyone and their business, know nothing about the beauty attached to his arm. Even Pip’s parents, who have apparently known her for decades, seem confused as to who this young lady is.

“Miss Adelaide Wilson, accompanied by Mr. Jacob Heinmen.” The announcer’s declaration was soon followed by the pair descending the stairs, into the mass of ball gowns and cummerbunds.

Mrs. D’Amont and Tristan were waiting at the bottom of the stairs for the pair to reach them.

“My, Adelaide, you look… marvelous. Does she not, Tristan?” Mrs. D’Amont’s tone appeared to be a friendly one, but an underlying air of warning was also apparent. Tristan’s face remained impassive and slightly irritated. Adelaide tried to think of a time where she’d seen him with any other look on his face, but quickly fell short.

“Miss Wilson, you seem to be fitting in well. Jacob,” Tristan quickly turned the conversation to his long time friend, embracing him in a brotherly hug, “ how are you today? I did not know you were coming with Miss Wilson.”

“You know me Tristan,” a smirk ripping its way through Jacob, “always wanting to surprise.”

Adelaide shut out the discussion, briefly tuning in to bid farewell to Mrs. D’Amont.

“Adelaide, he’s right you know.” The sentence puzzled Adelaide.

“What are you on about, Tristan?”

“Do you never listen? Jacob has raised the valid point that we have to appear to have a united front to ensure we pull this off, for not only my grandmother’s sake but also my own. As soon as this is over, you and your little brat will be as far away from me as possible.” Jacob’s face mirrored my own shock.

“Mate, I didn’t quite word it like that. I just said that I thought you guys’ need to smile and dance and such. Stop being so judgmental.”

“Don’t worry, Jake, I know you didn’t mean it like that,” Adelaide smiled a bright smile towards him. Behind his shoulder she spotted Pip, looking around nervously in an amazing navy blue sweetheart dress. She knew what, or who, Pip was looking for. A gentle nod in her direction caused Jacob to also divert his gaze.

“Right, well I have somewhere I need to be. Dance, be merry, get through this whole façade so I can have you both back to your normal, smiling selves.” He left, heading towards Pip, leaving an awkward air in the atmosphere.

Their eyes locked on each other, both unsure of what to do next.

“Shall we – er – dance? Make it appear that you don’t hate the ground I walk on?”

“Okay. For Grandmother’s sake.” Tristan tentatively grabbed Adelaide’s hand, leading her towards the dance floor, eyes now drawing two by two onto the pair. The couple found a spot in the center of the dance floor, surrounded by laughing and twirling pairs. The tempo of the music changed, from an up-beat waltz to a slow, tender rhythm. Adelaide rolled her eyes at the clique-ness of the situation she was now placed in, gulped down her fear, before wrapping her arms around Tristan’s waist, his own finding their way around her waist.

Seconds froze as they whirled around the dance floor.

“You are better at this than I thought you would be,” Tristan said with a quirk of his eyebrow.

You are better at this than I thought you would be.” Adelaide left the conversation at that, not wanting to ruin the calm equilibrium between the two.

“May I cut in?” A voice cut through the silence, a familiar voice.

“Daniel?” “Rothschild?” Both exclaimed at the same moment; one in surprise, the other in distaste.

“Miss Wilson,” the man ignored the biting comment, choosing instead to address the lady still wrapped in Tristan’s arms. The pair broke apart as Daniel placed a chase kiss on Adelaide’s hand.

Tristan’s curiosity got the better of him. “What, exactly, are you doing here Rothschild?” The sneer was impossible to hide, even if there were so many people around, constantly judging his interactions.

“D’Amont, what a – pleasant surprise it is to see you here. How, might I ask, do you know Miss Wilson?”

“She’s my cousin,” Tristan’s stare turned back to the perplexed looking Adelaide. “And how do you two know each other?”

“He’s the person I ran into today after we went shopping.”

“Would you care to take a walk with me Miss Wilson, the weather is beautiful tonight,” his hand shot out as soon as his proposal was done. Tristan’s angry glare always caused her to decline the offer, but after a few seconds deliberation, she gently placed her hand in Daniel’s.

As Tristan embraced her in a hug bidding her goodbye, he whispered, “be careful, he’s not what he seems” before turning on his heels and walking away.

“Shall we?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for any grammatical/spelling mistakes!