Handsome Is As Handsome Does

fifteen

Adelaide could not suppress a gasp as her eyes fell upon the picturesque garden, shimmered in the night sky. The lights from various lanterns and fairy lights glowed a soft yellow; the water features and flowers resembled that of the Versaille gardens.

An arm curled its way around a slightly shivering Adelaide, whose eyes were drinking in the beauty before her.

“It’s amazing, isn’t it? Whenever I am here for a ball, this is the only place I want to be.” Adelaide broke her trance to focus on the boy beside her. The lights reflected in his eyes, and she could not help but think, in that moment, that he resembled that of an innocent, naive boy. A smirk, however, quickly replaced his coy smile as he led Adelaide through the garden.

The jubilation and frivolity from within the ballroom was left behind, a calm silence overtook the both of them.

“So, Miss Wilson, tell me all about yourself.”

Adelaide’s hands started to sweat. Her mouth was agape. Her heart pounded throughout her body. Don’t give anything away, Adelaide thought in her exasperation, think!

“Well… my name is Adelaide Wilson. Tristan is my cousin. I have a brother called Caiden and I used to want to be a world rewound ballerina. That’s it really.”

“Wow, that was very… descriptive,” Daniel replied sarcastically, his playful smirk returning. “I cannot get over the fact that you are related to Tristan… he’s so…”

“I know,” a giggle escaped the girls mouth. “He’s okay really, you just have to get to know him. Get past that hard exterior.”

“Anyway, enough about D’Amont, this walk is about us.”

“Us?”

“Yes, us. We will be friends, Miss Wilson, as I find you rather charming. So, a ballerina, you say?”

“Yes, as all young girls want to be.”

“What happened?” Daniel asked with genuine intrigue.

“Life happened. I was forced to grow up and realize that life does not always happen as you want.” Her words hung in the air for a few minutes, both of the young adults mulling over the sincerity of what was spoken.

“Well, I believe you to be beautiful enough to charm any ballet school into allowing you to dance for them, there’s always a tomorrow.”

Adelaide blushed a violent red and tried to avoid Daniel’s gaze.

Suddenly, Adelaide’s foot looped itself through a tree-root in the ground, sending her tumbling forward. Her eyes clenched, preparing for a fall that never came. Two strong arms coiled themselves around her small frame, cradling her a mere few inches from the ground.

A wink followed, “if you wanted me to sweep you off your feet, Ade, all you had to do was ask.” Her blush deepened, as she became aware that Daniel face was very close to her own. She felt his breath on her face, his mouth centimetres from her own.

The gap started to close as both of their eyes fluttered closed. Adelaide’s heart was beating so hard within her chest that she was sure it was sending vibrations throughout Daniel’s body.

“Adie!” a drunken slur bellowed through the garden. “Adie, I’m being serious! Where are you?!”

The pair broke apart, perplexed as to who would be stumbling through such a beautiful garden, in such an inebriated state, at a party held by such respected socialites.

Adelaide straightened herself up, gazing quickly at Daniel before following the voice.

Rounding the corner, the pair could see a body stumbling toward them in the shadows.

“Adie,” the familiar, drunken voice repeated, “you have to come with me now.”

Tristan revealed himself from the shadows. His tie was askew, and his shirt was untucked. Adelaide stared confused at the man before her. She had never seen him like this, even if she had only known him for a short time. The Tristan she knew was always very ‘prim and proper’, ensuring that no one would catch a glance at his vulnerable side.

Adelaide ran forward, catching the body before he fell to the ground, placing one of his arms around her petit frame. Daniel, snapping out of his stunned stupor, placed the other arm firmly around his own shoulder. They both pulled the drunken boy to a nearby bench.

“Daniel, could you please find Jacob for me? I need him to take us home.” The urgency in Adelaide’s eyes caused Daniel to turn and lightly sprint back towards the music. Tristan lay flat on the bench, his head resting on Adelaide’s lap.

“Tristan, what have you done to yourself?” Adelaide’s whisper caused Tristan’s to look up.

“Adie, I-I think someone put something in-in my d-drink.” Tristan’s sincere eyes caused a stunned look to full upon her face. “I don’t f-feel well, A-Adelaide.”

“Shh, it’s okay, Tristan. Jacob’s going to come and take you home.” Feet hitting stones reverberated through the still air. Three silhouettes appeared.

“Come on Tris, we need to get you home,” a voice Adelaide instantly recognized as Jacob’s whispered with urgency. Both Jacob and Daniel stepped out of the shadows, both taking an arm each, hoisting Tristan towards the exit in the garden that led straight to the front lawn where the limo was parked.

Pip stepped forward, hugging her friend as they made their own way out of the garden, falling behind the boys a few metres.

“So, Ad. You have some explaining to do! Why were you out here with Daniel Rothschild of all people? What happened between you? What happened with Tristan?”

“Wow, Pip, calm down. I can only answer one question at a time. Daniel and I just went for a walk to get to know one another. I enjoy his company. Tristan came stumbling towards us, drunk, I asked Daniel to get Jacob, Tristan said he didn’t feel well, then voila, you guys turned up.” Adelaide was frustrated that she had to explain herself to her best friend. She just wanted to get back to her ‘room’ and sleep. “And what is wrong with everyone saying Daniel’s name like that?”

“Ad,” Pip’s voice decreased in volume so much so, that Adelaide had to strain to hear her, “there’s a lot of rumours about Rothschild. A lot of rumours staring Rothschild and D’Amont. Just be careful, I do not want my best friend being hurt by silly socialites and their prejudice ways.”

The girls reached the car, in which a drunk Tristan was now sprawled out on the seats, cutting the girls conversation short. Adelaide felt so confused. She had not expected her night to raise so many questions; about Tristan, about Daniel, and about why the both of them seem to be sworn enemies.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sort of a filler, but key things occur within this chapter!

G x

P.s. sorry for the late post!