Handsome Is As Handsome Does

two

Tick tock, tick tock.

The sound became increasingly louder and more aggravating as the seconds ticked on, Adelaide's hazy mind clearing from the dream state that she had previously been in.

Her eyes slowly fluttered open, before squeezing themselves shut automatically. A shooting pain travelled around her skull as her eyes made contact with the naturally lit room, the sun beaming straight through the window onto the delicate sheets with which she was laying on.

However, her eyes also closed due to sheer disbelief. In the brief few seconds her eyes had come into contact with her surroundings. The sun lit room seemed to glow as the light rays illuminated the white walls, the typical gold coloured skirting boards and frames also adorned the décor. The room was alarmingly big; the largest she had ever been in. The crystal chandelier that hung from the ceiling glistened and gleamed, leaving behind rainbow spectrums in little spots across the wall. A gigantic painting graced the walls, it was simply a painting of a country landscape, yet it was strangely hypnotising which cause Adelaide's eyes to examine every single stroke of the magical brush which had produced this alluring piece of art.

The bed which she was placed on was magnificent; the mattress so soft that it moulded into the shape of the body, yet gave it enough support to be comfortable. The silk bed covers and multiple pillows gave the feeling of a second skin with the softness easily gliding across the skin.

In that moment, when Adelaide had finally found the will power to re-open her eyes, a compelling feeling of sadness, confusion and anxiety washed through her senses. Where was she and how did she get to this fairytale like place?

Adelaide sprang up from her resting spot and started running towards the door. She needed to find someone, anyone to tell her how she had gotten into her own warped wonderland and how exactly she was to get back to the real world. She turned the knob slowly. A sudden fear consumed her.

What if the person who had brought her here had some sordid, unmentionable intentions with her? A shiver ran down Adelaide's spine as she thought of this. With a soft 'click' of the knob, the door creaked open a little.

After poking her head out and checking that the coast was clear, she swung the door open as quietly as possible and started walking down the hallway, only hesitating a little to close the door. Astonishment took over Adelaide. If she thought that the room with which she was in was spectacular, then she was defiantly overcome with shock at the rest of the house.

"Can I help you, miss?" A slightly pompous, masculine voice said from behind her. Shock overtook the girl's body, rooting her to her spot, restricting her breathing. "Miss?"

Adelaide turned around to face the male which was addressing her. In front of her stood a gentleman of about 60, dressed in the typical 'butler' uniform. If she were not so frightened at this moment, if her heart were not beating so hard in her chest that she feared it would break free or if the man would not have looked so menacing with an accusing glare on his face, she may have laughed at his tragic 'Jeeves' look.

"I-I, erm, wh-where am I?" the girl managed to spit out, although it did sound very shaken and quite like a mesh of different words mixed together.

"Miss, you're at the D'Amont residence. Are you the girl", he said with a sort of disgusted tone, like the word 'girl' was sour to the tongue, "that Mrs D'Amont brought back from the town?"

"I g-guess."

"Well then you should be in your room getting ready for the meal. Didn't Gwen and Laura tell you that Mrs D'Amont wishes to discuss some things with you tonight?" Adelaide remained silent as the butler took her arm lightly in his hand, a gasp escaped the girls breathe as a bruise which had been caused by the boy had left.

"I take it by you're silence that you knew nothing of this. Well when we reach the room you are to get changed into the clothes that the maids help you with and then they will take you to the dinning room." By the time his speech had finished, we had finally reached the room I was originally in and saw two women who instantly lead me inside to get ready.

"Miss, I think you should take a shower before we set you out in this dress as, well…"

"Look, what Laura's trying to say is that you smell and you have dirt encrusted everywhere and Madame D'Amont has insisted that we take you down there clean and nicely dressed."

Adelaide, for not the first time since she had woken up, was in shock and unable to speak. Her head was pounding, reminding her instantly of her head injury which she had got when that brute of a boy had been chasing her. With a gentle push in the direction of the en suite bathroom, Adelaide found herself in the bathroom in no time.

After locking the door, she instantly stripped and hopped inside of the shower, letting the warm beads of water drop onto her grimy body. It had been so long since she had taken a shower and the sheer joy of knowing that she will be clean soon took her to her haven. The once clear water brownness of the dirt matted in her hair and sunk into her skin. Suddenly a thunderous knocking commenced at the wooden door.

"Miss, you must hurry. We are expected downstairs in 45 minutes." A tiny, female voice said behind the door. With a reluctant sigh, Adelaide unlocked the door and made her way into the room.

After 25 minutes her hair was neatly styled and her make-up placed so perfectly on her face that it would be hard to pick a flaw. Her long, red dress was now hanging off her body; she was too thin to make it flow with her none existence curves.

A sense of fear and nervousness bubbled in the pit of the girl's stomach as she slowly made her way to what she expected to be the dinning room. To stop the nerves from seeping out as she followed her guide, she started looking at the walls. Each was beautifully decorated, fit for the royal family. Huge paintings hung, and golden and crystal chandeliers dangled from the high ceiling. Within no time they had reached their destination.

"It's just through that door ma'am, knock and then wait for someone to answer," with a small, reassuring smile the man turned and walked in the opposite direction. Adelaide knocked lightly, startled when the door suddenly swung open. The room with which she walked into made her gasp; the sheer beauty of it was stunning. It reminded her of the film Beauty and the Beast which she used to love when she was younger; the part when the candle wick was singing to the girl as other objects danced and sang along.

"Are you going to come in, or what? Because I am famished and would quite like to eat," a smug voice said from the direction of the table. As soon as Adelaide's eyes locked on his, they narrowed in a hateful way. He just smirked at this gesture and continued to stare her down.

"Tristan do not be so rude!" The lady said who was at the head of the table, a pleasant smile to contrast that of the boys. "Come, sit. It's okay, I will not hurt you."

Adelaide sat at the table and stared down at her lap, the intensity of this meeting being overwhelming. Adelaide always hated being the centre of attention, her awkward shyness would illuminate through her whole demeanour causing her unable to speak confidently or control her body.

"Now that we're all seated I have some matters to discuss." This time when the woman spoke it was clear that she was being very serious. The girl's eyes slowly found the place which the woman was seated looking through her fringe. The woman was facing towards Adelaide as she said, "I have a proposition for you."