Handsome Is As Handsome Does

four

As Adelaide stood before Eleanor D’amont, she’d known she had made the right decision. As soon as the words “I’ll do it” had left her lips, all the weight appeared to have been lifted off of her shoulders.

She knew it was the way to keep her brother and that Eleanor would surely make both their lives better. In return she just needed to be someone she most defiantly was not. A perfectly fair arrangement, some would say too fair.

Eleanor’s smile graced her lips. She appeared scarier sat behind the desk then she had before; her old, fragile appearance transformed into one of a highly respected, ruthless business woman. A lump formed in Adelaide’s throat, one that only disappeared after painfully swallowing continuously.

“That is such a relief. I will do whatever in my power to repay you. Just ask and I’ll see what I can do.” Her face darkened, the menacing look on her fragile looking face caused Adelaide to recoil a little in fright. The look on her face reminded her of someone in her past, someone who she had erased from her thoughts a long time ago. “I do have some rules you are to follow. They are very simple and I promise, as long as you follow them we will have no problems. Do you understand?”

Adelaide nodded her head, the lump in her throat resurfacing but this time unable to suppress. Fear struck to the core of her being.

“There are three simple rules. The first one is to not tell anyone other than those who already know about your social class, or lack there of. I do not want it getting out that you are really notworthy meant to be in the auction. The second is that you are to do all that myself and Tristan as of you. We are to teach you what we need you to know, but we are not going to give this too you for free. Tristan is the only close family I have left and I want you to treat him like your master, no matter what it is, do you understand me?”

Adelaide nodded with such an intensity that it seemed like her neck would almost snap from the sudden movements. By this time Adelaide was seated and was leaning right in towards Eleanor’s desk, intently listening, ready for the final rule to be conveyed.

“Good. And the third and final rule is the most important. You must not, under any circumstances fall in love with Tristan. He is to take over everything when I am ready to hand it over, and I will not have some penniless hobo at his side, reaping in the finest of what money can offer due to his inheritance.” Adelaide sat back, with her back as straight as a ruler and her as wide open as her eyes.

Shock coursed through Adelaide’s body. Of all the things she expected, this was not one of them. Eleanor looked at her with a look of questioning, silently asking her if she could comply with what she was asking.

“I will stick by your rules; I am not and will never be in love with your grandson.” Eleanor’s stiff nod of the head showed that she understood what she was saying.

“Now, to descuss your family. Is there anyone who needs to be informed of were you are and what you are to take part in?”

“Just my little brother, he’s the only family I have left.” A foreign look was present in Eleanor’s eyes yet quickly disappeared. Adelaide could have sworn it was sympathy or pity, yet it was gone just as quickly as it came, too quickly for Adelaide to be able to fully comprehend its meaning.

“How old is he?”

“Four.”

“Well, if you bring him to my house, he can stay in one of the guest rooms. I will set up a temporary school for him, with the best education to offer. Now you are to go and fetch your brother and when you return I want you to head straight back to my office, do you understand?”

“Yes, ma’am.”