Snippets of Stories

New World

Angel slipped onto the air next to me, her eyes fixed on the pulsing new world being formed below.
“Amazing, isn’t it?” she whispered.
I merely shrugged. “I suppose.”
The Creator was busy with the new world, but she paused long enough to give us a cheerful wave.
“I suppose?” Angel turned to be, her bright, shining eyes gazing into the depths of my soul.
“Well, yes, it’s very good but-”
“It’s supposed to be the best world ever created.”
“In theory.”
“Don’t you believe anything?” said Angel, a smile turning up at the corners of her mouth.
“I-” I didn’t get chance to get any further. Angel interrupted, beating her wings and raising herself up a little.
“Oh, Kerlan,” she breathed, “You don’t believe it do you?”
“Well…It sounds a bit silly, to be honest. I mean, Zarega is an amazing world, who can compete with that?”
Angel raised her elegant eyebrows. “Kerlan, this is her first Creation.”
I blinked at Angel. “So?”
Angel gave a theatrical sigh and settled down beside me again. “She…is The Creator. She’s the actual one. Destined to Create…She Created the Creators. That was all. They don’t count as Creations, as they…came after this world.”
“I know the story,” I said testily.
“You’re not sounding like it,” murmured Angel, again enraptured by the growing world.
“Well, it seems a bit silly. If this was the first thing she designed, why didn’t she make that first?”
“It was her first Creation,” whispered Angel, “She needed to feel it was the right time to actually…make it. So she made Creators, made them make a few other worlds-”
“A few!” I snorted.
Angel glanced at me, irritated. “Do you mind?”
“Not really.”
I felt Angel’s scowl. I think it’s physically impossible for Angel to actually scowl, but she makes sure you feel it.
“Kerlan! Is this how you expect future inhabitants to see you?” hissed Angel, motioning towards the world.
“I think it’s a bit too early to be thinking of that,” I replied, truthfully.
Angel rolled her eyes. “Act like an Immortal, not an idiot.”
“There isn’t always a difference,” I told her wisely.
She glared at me. I fell backwards. Angel has a…very powerful glare. Angel left me on my back, floating in space. I hoisted myself up. “Thanks, Angel.”
Angel smiled at me sweetly. “You’re welcome.”
“Glad to hear it.” I yawned. “Gosh, is that the time? I need a nap.”
Angel caught my arm as I closed my eyes. “Gods don’t have to sleep,” she reminded me, “People don’t exist yet. We don’t need sleep.”
“Hey, speak for yourself. And you’re not a god-”
“Near enough,” said Angel calmly, inspecting the sharp, white fingernails of her left hand.
I shuddered. There is something unnerving about Angel. “Okay, you’ve made your point.”
Angel smiled again. “She’s nearly done, look!”
I looked. The Creator was applying the finishing touches to the world. Around us, more Immortals settled down, waiting to be needed.
We waited.
And waited. Angel held her breath. Well, her breath of space…seeing as there was no oxygen.
We waited a second. 12 million years passed.
Angel let out her breath. “People,” she murmured, blinking slowly. Her eyelashes were long, and black. Black as in very black.
I looked down at the world. It didn’t seem particularly impressive; Zarega was a lot more impressive, but it was interesting, in it’s own way, just as slugs can be interesting if you are bored long enough. Not that slugs existed on this world. Although I can’t say it was boring, being with Angel. She shimmered. Almost constantly.
Around us, the gods and goddesses were shifted, waiting impatiently for their time.
Angel’s face glowed. “I think I should go down and…stir things up a bit.”
I watched Angel float gently down to the newborn planet. It was newborn to us, we had seen it be born 2 minutes ago, but it had been around 12 million years.