Sequel: Only the Circus Knows

A Picturesque Score of Passing Fantasy

Harlequin Theatre

The theatre had to be as large as the king's backyard. Probably even bigger. There were exactly 5,500 red velvet seats with mahogany armrests; untouched for 15 years. There were multiple balconies on the sides of the walls. Gold and silver bordered almost everything in the theatre. Priceless paintings hung in every which way. The stage itself was all mahogany wood with gold designs laid inside. The opening and closing curtains were blood red. They weren't exactly glittery, but they shimmered in the light whenever it moved. Small crystal chandeliers were scattered among the ceiling, but a large diamond chandelier hung in the center. They all cast glimmering rays of light everywhere. Gold vines spiraled up pillars, each one topped with a unique lion.

"What is this place?" I asked Ryan. He came from behind me, wrapped his arms around my waist, and set his chin on my shoulder. I looked at my feet, trying to hide the scarlet color in my cheeks. I could feel his breath linger on my neck until he finally spoke.

"This is Harlequin Theatre." Ryan said, "Brendon was in love with her. Infact he loved her more than anything else in the world. So he built this-" Ryan motioned around with his hand, "in honor of her."

"Wow." I breathed, "She must have been so lucky to have something like this built for her."

"Mmmm" Ryan hummed.

"Her parents probably thought this was a great honor. Having this built for their daughter." I tested Ryan. He felt tense all of a sudden, "Especially her father. I'd imagine he'd be so happy." I wanted to see if Ryan would tell me anything more about Serenia.

"Clair..." he sighed, "it's complicated."

"Why?" I tried to sound innocent, like I wasn't really paying attention.

"Don't you just love the architecture in this building?" Ryan changed the subject. I gave up and just grinned at him.

"May I dance on the stage?"

"Of course love." He seemed relieved that I didn't ask him more about Serenia or her past. I ran up to the stage, Ryan close behind me. Anjelah had taught me how to dance ballet, and I think that I have become exceptionally good at it. My dress flowed around my body like silk in the wind. I now had the grace that I wouldn't have dreamed I could have two weeks ago. I could feel Ryan's eyes on me.
Then, something strange.

Music.

From somewhere backstage. The ceiling? No.
It wasn't like the music that would play when I was with Anjelah. It wasn't music boxes either.
It was a piano. Haunting, a dark lullaby. I was the only one that seemed to hear it because Ryan didn't seem aware of it.

"Ryan?" I asked.

"Yes." He answered, I had stopped dancing all together.

"Is there a piano...up?" I said, pointing my finger to the ceiling. Ryan looked confused.

"No, there's an attic though. Why?" Ryan was still puzzled. The music stopped abruptly, now there was only silence. Deafening silence.

"Never mind." I said warily. I started dancing again, Ryan looked like he wanted to ask me 1,000 questions.

No music this time.

"You look very nice on stage." Ryan complimented. I blushed every single shade of red. I kept on dancing. I soon got into the flow of the dance and just glided effortlessly around and around the stage.

"I love you Ry." I whispered.

"I love you too." he smiled. He kissed my cheek and led me out of Harlequin Theatre.

But if I only knew that the Harlequin Theatre held a secret as dark as the Dark Masquerade itself.
♠ ♠ ♠
"Mwa!" *I gives you a kiss*
Thank you guys so much for reading this!! Rate/message/subscribe/comment, the works. It makes me happy. BANNERS are fantastical too!
rates/messages/subscribers/comments/banners = happy author & happy author = longer and better chapters! Whee! So make me happy. Hahahahaha