Never Forget That

.001

Her hair whipped from behind. Her golden locks tangling because of the strong wind. Her arms were spread wide and her feet were at a reasonable distance. Her bright blue and green sundress stood out against the dark night. It was quite ironic actually. She should be in all black; the color of her clothes should match her hair which should be black too. Isn’t that the common stereotype? That’s what she is sick of though, stereotyping. She is sick of how just because she is a blond and has money means she has to be a cheerleader. Since she is a cheerleader it means she is popular. Since she is popular she can only listen to hip-hop, like Kanye West, in public when in the lonely moments in her room she listens to Midtown, the Killers, Blink-182, My Chemical Romance and bands like them. She is popular but she hates it. Isn’t that such a cliché? But then again, how can you not be cliché nowadays? To some people what she is about to do would be considered a cliché too but right now she doesn’t care.

Marie Catharine Baker was about to jump of a building and commit suicide, how original.

She never had the guts to cut herself. She had a fear of blood and she had her mind set that she wouldn’t die with blood being the last thing she saw. She never got her hands on drugs and besides it would be too obvious. So she decided to jump of a building. She wasn’t planning on doing it on the night her parents were hosting one of their huge parties that were practically a tradition. Especially not the biggest party, oh well.

She would jump of the roof of their four-story townhouse and land in their backyard where all her parents’ guests were. It would be scandalous and a complete surprise to her parents but isn’t that what life is about? Surprises.

Her parents would be embarrassed that their own flesh and blood killed herself in front of all their guests. She didn’t care. She stopped caring about other people’s opinion a long time ago or else she wouldn’t be on top of the roof right now.

She took one last look down at all the people who would witness her death. There was at least 500 people walking and talking. She was hurt by the fact that no one noticed her standing on the roof but she shook that idea out of her head. It wouldn’t matter anyway. She looked up at the stars and took a deep breath. She let one foot dangle in mid-air before bringing it back to her body and standing straight. Damn, she had to get it over with already.

She let her foot dangle in mid-air once again. She promised herself she wouldn’t chicken out this time. She took another deep breath, hoping it would be her last one. No one, not even My Chemical Romance, was going to save her now.

“Cathy don’t,” a familiar voice said from behind her. She looked over her shoulder and saw him, Michael Green. She took in his brown hair and blue eyes before looking at the task she was about to do. She had around a 40-feet drop. Hopefully, that would kill her.

“Cathy please!” he said trying to stop her but no one can. She had her mind set on something and she was going to do it. He knew that when she wanted something she would go out and get it. It was a trait of hers that he loved. She was stubborn and had a one-track mind. That was what she was being now, stubborn. She wouldn’t listen to him. She thought no wait scratch that, she knew what she was about to do was for the best. She wasn’t going to pay attention to anyone, especially him.

As she ignored him, Michael had moved closer to her. She was in his arms’ reach. He wasn’t exactly sure what was stopping him from pulling her body closer to his and away from the ledge. She wouldn’t like it, that’s why. She doesn’t want him to save her life but he has to. Someone had to.

“Ari please don’t jump.” He tried again. She took a sharp breath for two reasons. One, he hasn’t called her Ari in years. Once he started taking drugs he called her Cathy just like everyone else. She didn’t allow him to call her Ari until he stopped. He hasn’t or if he had he didn’t bother telling her. And two, he sounded a lot closer than he did awhile ago. She allowed herself to peek over her shoulder and there he was, less than two feet away from her. She shook her head and got ready for the jump.

Two strong hands wrapped around her petite waist just as she was about to be airborne, causing her to land on top of him. She rolled of him and stood up, brushing the dirt of her dress out of habit. She was about to run of the roof but the same hands stopped her from doing so.

“What are you doing Michael?” She screamed. She was stressed out and annoyed at herself for not jumping right away. She was mad at Michael for trying to stop her. She was angry at everyone for not caring. She was sad, sad because of all those reasons.

“I am trying to save you!” He yelled back at her. He didn’t understand why she wanted to kill herself. Even though he knew she didn’t have the perfect life everyone thought she had, he didn’t think it was that bad that you had to kill yourself. If your life was that bad someone else would do it for you.

“WHY?” She screamed.

“Why what?” he asked.

“Why are you doing that? Why are you trying to save me? You don’t care Michael!” she yelled. That hurt Michael. He did care.

“I care Ari! Do you honestly think I would be here right now if I didn’t care?” He yelled.

“If you really cared then you would have stopped doing drugs! Did you stop Michael?” She asked. Her voice was softer but it held so much emotion. Emotions that Michael didn’t know she had left.

“Not exactly…” he mumbled softly.

“See what I mean!?! You don’t care! No one cares! For all I know you could be high right now! Maybe you think I am Princess Leia and this is some twisted Star Wars thing. You don’t want to save me! You want to save some fictitious character!” she yelled at him.

“I do not!”

“Then let me jump” She said making her voice soft again as she took a step closer to him.

“What does that have to do with what you just said?” He asked.

“It has everything to do with it.” She hissed through her teeth.

He was momentarily taken back. She took the opportunity to push him away from her and run to the ledge. She stood in the same spot she was in awhile ago and looked down. They still didn’t notice. She turned around to look at Michael one last time but ended up with his hands on her shoulders again. She glared at him as his grip tightened.

“Remember Michael, I always get what I want.”