‹ Prequel: Move

Risk

Alpha Protector

stared at the small television that hung on the hospital room's wall. I lay on the white bed amazed. I was alone in the room while Riley took a break from curing me. In the meantime, I was watching the news.

Matt Lauer was talking about how people were moving back into the state of Texas because it was just announced safe.

"Although there has been some damage," Matt said, "people are being allowed back into the state and surrounding states. Lets just all thank God who or what saved us all."

I smiled. I was a person, but I was also a protector. So, I guess I was a who and a what. I never liked fame, but I was famous in a way where I wasn't even known.

The bandage on my forehead was heavy from the blood. Riley told me my powers were going to be back shortly so, I would be able to completely heal the wound. I still had the machines attached to me although I really didn't need them. The doctor said that in a matter of days I could go home. Go home and hopefully just take a break from everything. Then again, I had wedding plans to take care of. I'd probably end up putting Ann in charge since she had nothing to do now. She no longer was trapped by her father and my father's work.

The door swung open and I looked at the beautiful man who walked through it.

"Hi." I said gleefully to the man I loved.

"Hi." Riley said moving to the side of my bed with a coffee in his hand. He offered it to me and I took it.

"You know," I said, "sick patients aren't supposed to have caffeine."

"You know," he said imitating me, "you aren't sick."

I smiled and took a sip. It was iced coffee; just the way I liked it. Riley watched my every move as if he was going to lose me. He wasn't going to lose me for a while. I set the cup on the small table that was next to my bed. I looked at Riley.

"So, what's new?" I asked.

Riley reached for my hand and I twined my fingers with his. I immediately started feeling even better because he was trying to heal me faster.

"Not much. So I'm told, Peter and Ann went home to celebrate." Riley said soothingly.

"Celebrate what?" I asked.

"Use your imagination." He said with a smile.

"Oh." I said realizing their reborn relationship was probably going faster than I expected it would.

Riley looked back at the television. Matt was still talking about the disease.

"Looks like your famous." Riley said without looking back at me.

His black t-shirt clung tightly to him just like every other shirt he had. His hair was cropped perfectly as usually. He had a pair of nicely fit jeans with a pair of white shoes I've never seen before. Riley always looked like an angel to me.

Riley looked back at me. I smiled.

"Well, if I didn't let it go in the first place, maybe I would have been more famous to people like us for destroying it." I said. "Or maybe I should have just left it alone and let them use it to take our powers."

Riley frowned. "It doesn't matter now. All you have to worry about is our wedding."

I raised an eyebrow. "Are you having a bachelor party?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Are you having a bachelorette party?"

I smiled. "I don't know. Maybe I'll hire a male stripper."

Riley sighed. "I'll ask Sam."

I laughed. "That's the last thing I would want to see. Sam stripping on a table. The thought just makes me gag." I said. "Yeah, I'll be sure to invite Bria over."

He laughed. "It'll probably end with them doing things to each other." Riley shuddered sarcastically.

"So, what about you?" I asked.

Riley sighed. "I am almost certain I am not having one."

"Well," I said, "this is the first time a bachelorette party was ever mentioned to me so, I doubt I'll be having one."

"We'll have to see." Riley said with a smirk. Our hands tightened together. We both looked at them.

"So, what are we going to do for a wedding?" I asked.

Riley frowned. "I was hoping you would ask."

"What?" I asked looking at his face.

He smiled. "I thought I would take the courage and plan it all myself."

"You did?" I asked calmly.

Riley nodded. "Except for your dress. I had the girls do that."

I frowned. "So, you had everybody else's help?"

He smiled. "The invitations are made, the cake is ready, I chose my tuxedo, and I found the perfect place."

"How did you do it all?" I asked in shock.

"I didn't do it." Riley said with a sarcastic tone. "You did it."

I laughed. "What?"

Riley smiled and looked into my eyes. I thought about it for a moment.

"You read my mind?" I asked. He shrugged. "So, the invitations are pale with a signature text?" Riley smiled wider. "And the cake has five parts with the frosting design that is on our comforter and it's white?"

Riley smiled again showing his teeth. "And the wedding will be taking place in no other than the Greenwood Ballroom." He said.

I took in a deep breath and let it out. Our eyes met and I almost passed out. "I love you."

"I love you too." He said softly. "Plus, I made my own little adjustments to the tuxedo. I thought your idea of it was too...what's the word...butlerish?"

"Butlerish?" I repeated. "To be honest, I could care less. I am just trying to get over this entire save the world thing."

Riley caressed my cheek with his free hand. "There won't be any more fighting that I know of." His hand fell back to his lap. His other hand slipped from mine and it rested on the bed.

"I actually like the whole fighting thing. It gives me something to do with my powers." I said.

"Alyssa, there still is other buildings and people that want us dead." Riley said. "No doubt Ann will one day be pulled back into one again."

I sighed. "Well, at least there is still thrill in my life."

Riley tilted his head. His forehead creased. I looked deep into his eyes.

"You want thrill?" He asked.

My eyes widened as I had a feeling of what he was about to do. I wanted him to do it though.

"You're the only thrill I'll ever need." I said softly.

Riley jumped off of his chair. It flew behind him. He grabbed the curtain and pulled it closed. He moved back over to me. His movements were swift and graceful. I smiled as he moved his head towards mine. His lips were inches from mine. He smelled amazing.

Riley raised his eyebrows. "I'll give you a thrill."

I laughed a little. "Are you really?"

He smiled and pressed his lips to mine. I immediately fell into his plan. Our lips moved together quickly as animals. I pushed myself off of the bed and sat up straight. He held my head up so I wouldn't fall back. I wrapped my fingers in his hair. Our lips never stopped. My eyes closed. Riley stayed crouched over me as I tried to get closer to him. The tubes and wires attached to me made it difficult. The breathing tube made it extremely difficult because it was hanging down my throat. Riley realized my struggling and he grabbed the tube from my nose and slowly pulled it out. I removed myself from his face for a second. The tube moved past my throat and out my nose. He flung it to the ground.

I looked at him. "My God Riley Ackers. You are crazy."

"That makes two of us."

I smiled with my mouth open. Riley swiftly pressed his lips back to mine.

We continued the game for a while. Our arms kept moving on each others heads and our lips never separated. We ended up laying next to each other on the hospital bed. Riley was very careful about not disturbing the machines and wires. Frankly, I didn't care. What he just did was one hell of a thrill.

I looked up at him. His arm was wrapped around me holding me close.

"Was that thrilling enough?" He asked.

I nodded as best as I could. "Why the hell did you do that?"

He laughed and inched himself off of the bed. Riley moved to the end of the bed and looked at me. I lay my head at an awkward angle and looked back at him.

"You have company that wants you alone." He explained. "Is there anything you want?"

"I want to go home and I want my powers back." I complained.

Riley frowned. "Well, you should have your powers very soon. During all of that," he made motions with his hands, "I was healing you faster. I'll let your visitor fix that other part."

I creased my forehead. Riley gracefully walked behind the curtain and pulled it open. He smiled and left the room closing the door behind him. I sighed knowing the visitor was either the doctor or Ann. I shifted myself to the same position I had been in for the past week. This was getting old.

The door swung open right after I positioned myself. The same doctor I had been seeing came in. His beauty was quite similar to our kinds. I smiled as he walked over to me. He smiled back, but it didn't seem friendly. He sat in the seat Riley always sat in. He rolled it over to my side. I looked at him waiting for him to start asking me questions. There was something familiar about him.

"Why is your breathing tube out?" He asked.

I quickly thought of a lie. "It was getting irritating and I found I didn't need it." I said calmly.

"You should have asked me first." He said.

"I should do a lot of things." I said.

"Excuse me?" He said.

I looked at him. "Okay, who are you?" I said knowing he was someone like me. There was something about my kind that gave me a different feeling. I had this feeling towards him. I could tell he was one of us.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I sighed. "You're a protector." I stated.

He gave a small smile. "So, it's true then. You are the Alyssa Gray."

"Guilty." I said. "Who are you?"

"I am simply a man that can remember any information that I hear or see." He said with a smile.

"Do you have a name?" I asked.

"Oh." He said quickly showing his name tag. "I'm Dr. Lewis. I've actually told you several times, but the medicine probably made you forget."

I gave a small smile. "Well, it's an honor to meet another man of your kind."

"It's an honor to meet you as well. But I am another? I have only met you and well, everyone that's either a protector or a destroyer knows you." He said.

"Unfortunately that's true, but you met my friends and husband. They are of our kind except for the three girl friends." I said.

"Husband?" He asked.

"Soon to be." I stated proudly.

"Congratulations." Greg said.

"Thank you." I said.

"Well," Greg said, "I was going to tell you something was in your blood sample, but I have all of the answers I need. You are free to go if you like. I am sorry I did not know it was you. I would have let you go sooner. How did you heal without your powers though?"

I smiled. "My fiancee can heal people and things. I happen to heal fast anyways so, you see how that worked."

Greg smiled. "Well, I will keep your secret as long as you do."

I smiled and glanced at the television that was muted. Dr. Lewis looked at it too. Matt Lauer was still talking about the whole disease thing.

"Now, if I am mistaken," Greg said, "either that was a miracle or that was you that saved us." He said looking back at me.

I continued looking at the screen. "Well, would you believe me if I said it was both?" I looked back at him.

He smiled. "You're a good person, Alyssa. Remember that." Dr. Lewis stood up from the chair and moved towards the door. He looked at me before he left the room. "Anybody who hasn't met you doesn't know what they are missing. By the way, thank you."

I smiled as he closed the door behind him. I moved my head and stared at the wall in front of me.

Did I really mean that much to people of any kind? I guess I did. I was many things. Things such as a sister, a business owner, a friend, a partner, a lover, a leader, a hero, and most importantly the alpha of protectors and destroyers alike.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah...comments are fabtabulous