‹ Prequel: Move

Risk

Power

"What are you talking about?" Jack said.

I sighed. "Have you heard about the deaths in Texas?"

"Yeah." Jack said confused. "Who is this?"

"Don't worry, Jack. I'm just like you." I told him.

He calmed down. "You're like me? Which one are you?"

"If I said that I was the alpha, would that help?" I asked him. Riley looked back at me over the couch.

Jack gave a little laugh. "Hello, Alyssa."

"You have a power that I need." I said.

"Do you just need it or are you and your little posse need it to save the world?" Jack asked. I frowned. He really was smart.

"Yeah, my posse and I need your brain to stop the disease." I said.

Jack gave another little laugh. "You let it go, didn't you?"

I sighed. "I was trying to destroy it."

"It doesn't matter. I can just tell you that I don't have the cure and it would be extremely hard for me to find the cure. Even for me." Jack stated.

I sighed again and turned to face the wall. "Why is it hard?"

Jack gave a long sigh. "Let's just say that I had half of my power taken away by a man in Russia."

I frowned. "There's a man that can take your powers?"

Jack giggled a little. His voice was perfect. "Yes, it's called power negation."

"Yeah, I'll remember to put that in my list of superpowers." I said as I turned back around. "Gah!" I yelled.

"What?" Jack asked.

"Nothing." I said glaring in to Riley's eyes as he stood right over me. "Just still getting use to having other people around me who have powers."

"Riley, right?" Jack asked.

"Huh?" I said.

"I don't have my power but, I am still smart." Jack said.

I shook my head in disbelief. "Well, if you are still smart, than you could still help me."

Jack hesitated. "I don't know, Alyssa. You've already been caught, haven't you?"

"No, but, I would really appreciate that you would stop looking over my life." I said.

"You're the alpha. A lot of people are interested in you, they just don't have the right sources." Jack said. I could already tell he would be fun to deal with.

"Can you help or not?" I asked ignoring his comment.

Jack paused. "I'll be over tomorrow morning. I promise. And a....I won't need transportation." I frowned.

"Let me guess." I said. "You have some person with a power that will get you here, right?"

Jack gave another little laugh. "See you tomorrow."

I was about to say bye when he hung up. I turned to look at Riley as I held the phone in my hand.

Riley raised an eyebrow. "Odd man."

I frowned. "Haven't you realized, dear, that everyone in our lives, including us, are odd." Riley smiled as I moved past him to hang up the phone.

My feet pushed me towards the television to probably tell me the entire state of Texas was dead. I stood in front of the screen ignoring the commercials passing. Matt Lauer came up again.

"I happen to have even worse news. In the past few minutes I had gotten a call from the one of the officials in Texas, and they said that the deaths are increasing faster and the disease is spreading rapidly. The President of the United States has ordered to move every single live person out of the state further north until a cure has been found. Till further news, this is Today on this tragic day."

Riley came up behind me and stood over me. "It'll be alright, love."

His hands began rubbing my shoulders. I folded my arms and looked up at him. "You keep saying that but, do you even believe it?"

"You're the one that said believing is seeing." Riley said.

I creased my forehead. "What is that supposed to do with anything?"

Riley's mouth went to my ear as he stopped rubbing my shoulders. "Because, life has it's ways." I frowned and looked back at the television. Riley kissed the top of my hair and slowly walked away from me.

I sighed. "I hate you Edward." I mumbled.

"I heard that!" Riley said as he reached the stairs.

I frowned more. "I still hate him, he got that stupid saying in everyone's head."

All of the sudden, pictures began flashing through my head. Pictures of my friends and my previous life zoomed past my eyes. I stood staring at them in awe. It was as if reality was gone. What was happening? I forced my eyes closed and popped them open. The pictures were gone.

My senses turned towards the front door. I ran to the door and walked through it without even noticing. I just walked through the thick wood door.

I stood on my porch and turned to the scent that filled my nose. A blur sped around the side of my house. I ran towards it. My feet pushed me faster than ever. I became a blur as I began rushing through the woods towards the blur in front of me. It was a person.

My feet pushed harder and faster. I used all of my muscle and senses and caught up to the blur. I ran by it's side. The woman looked at me and gave a frightened laugh. Her brown hair brushed across my face as she sped faster. My feet pushed me faster than her and I ran way ahead of her.

I stopped running and turned around to face the speedster. Her head was turned around looking for me. She came charging at me in a fuzzy blur. My hand shot out as she was about to run past me. My fingers grabbed her throat.

She looked at me in fright. Her hands went to my fingers trying to pry them away. I looked at her in her scared eyes. There were too many people like me finding me.

I clenched my teeth together. "Who are you?"

She held onto my fingers and gave a little smile. "You don't want to know."

I tightened my grip. She choked. "Who are you?" I said again angrier.

"You don't want to know." She coughed.

I looked at her in the eyes and saw compassion and good. My hand released her and she fell to the ground in a heap. She began rubbing her throat and she looked up at me.

I bent down at her height. "Now, who are you?"

"Like I said, you don't want to know." She said.

My hand grabbed for her throat again, but she put her hand out and stopped me. "I'll tell you though."