‹ Prequel: Move

Risk

Bumps in the Road

I walked over to the door when there was a knocking. Since yesterday, the deaths have increased by a million and the disease has spread into the states outside of Texas.

The door swung open. "Good morning, Mr. Williams."

"Hi. Call me Jack." The adorable perfect skinned man looked at me. he was just like the rest of us.

"Trust me," I said letting him in, "I'd rather call you Jack. I don't exactly like calling people by their last names unless I can't remember my face. But, whatever."

Jack smiled and stood in the middle of my living room. He looked at Riley who was sitting in his lounge chair staring at the television.

"Hello, Riley." Jack said to him. Riley nodded. Jack turned to me. "And where is your sister, Cassidy?"

I sighed. "You really need to stop doing that. But, she is sleeping in our spare bedroom."

"Stay the night, did she?" Jack said. I nodded.

"So, do you want to get started now?" I asked noticing him wearing the same kind of jacket the others had and holding a brief case.

He shrugged. "Yes, if you want me to. Where should I do my work?" Jack looked around.

"Ah, well, our basement is the largest room in the house and we, I mean I, have some of my latest equipment." I said to him.

I motioned for him to follow me. Riley stood up and followed Jack. I led the way through the kitchen and through the wood door leading to the basement. We walked down the stairs without making a noise. The air became a little cooler on the stairs. I stepped onto the basement floor and it was warmer than the stairs.

"Wow." Jack said looking around my basement. I nodded.

"Yes, this will be where you work. Anything you need, I will get it. I need this to be cured." I said.

We all looked around the basement in satisfaction. Considering it was underground, I made sure it was longer in case of any emergency. The ceiling was high and shelves on the walls held every single piece of equipment I've kept. From small guns to massive bazookas, I had it. I never showed Riley this room because he's already seen my small room full of equipment.

"Wow." Riley said.

I turned to look at them. "Would you quit saying that?" I turned back around.

I walked over to a metal door and opened it. My feet moved me into the small silver storage room. I looked at the rows of clothes hanging up. Riley came in behind me.

"So, this is why I keep seeing you in clothes that I've never seen you wear before." Riley said. I smiled. He bent over me. I looked at his mouth.

"I am a mystery." I said inches from him. He looked down at me. I swiftly walked away from him without even touching him.

Jack looked at me as I exited the storage. "What else do you keep in here?"

I shrugged. "My cars, spy gear, body armor, and what you'll be needing, a table." I pointed down the basement. We both looked down at the long table that extended about twenty feet.

"Right, a table." Jack said.

"If you need anything else, let me know." I said walking back towards the stairs. Jack frowned in confusion.

I walked up the stairs through the kitchen in satisfaction. This was difficult and easy at the same time.

Cassidy greeted me as I went to the living room. "Good morning." She said with a yawn.

"Ah, good morning to you too." I said.

"You might want to get that." She said pointing to the door. I looked at it. There wasn't a knock.

In a few moments there was a knock. I looked at Cassidy. She was in my pajamas.

"You have to stop doing that." I said moving towards the door. She shrugged.

The knocking continued and I opened the door. I swung it closed when I saw who it was. I turned to look at Cassidy.

"Get out of here!" I said in an angry whisper. She ran back upstairs. I turned back towards the door and opened it.

"Hello!" I said smiling at Hunter, Bria, Diane, and Ann. "Wha, what are you guys doing here?" I said looking at Hunter. His eyes got wide.

"Thought we might stop by to see you." Bria said.

"Well, come on in." I said looking back into the house to make sure no one was around.

Ann and Hunter were the last ones in. I stopped them by grabbing each of their arms. Hunter tried shrugging me off. I tightened my grip. I looked at Diane and Bria.

"You guys can just have a seat. I have to talk to these two alone." I said as I moved them into the kitchen.

My hands let them go as I moved in front of the basement door. I leaned back against it so Riley or Jack wouldn't come out.

I looked at Ann and Hunter. "This is really a bad time. In fact, every time I have on my hands is a bad time."

"Look," Hunter said quietly, "we know you are trying to cure the disease but, don't you think we should tell them?" He said motioning towards the living room.

I looked at them. "No!" I said quietly. My glare turned towards Ann. "Why are you even here? Aren't you supposed to be out capturing people?"

A pushing started at the basement door. I leaned back against it tighter.

"Alyssa it's me." Riley said quietly. I leaned off of the door and let him into the kitchen. He slipped through and stood next to me. I shut the door and leaned back against it again.

Ann looked at him and then at me. "I can tell you one thing. I'm probably going to have a bounty on my head if they find out I've been here."

"Don't we all have one of those?" I said.

She opened her mouth. "Technically they are just capturing you as their job and then they will experiment so, I don't consider that a bounty."

I shook my head. "I don't care. There is way too much going on right now."

Hunter raised his eyebrows. "Please tell me it only has to do with the disease." He said looking at Riley and me.

"No, because if I told you that I'd be lying." I said. Hunter raised his eyebrows even more. Ann looked confused. "Look, okay? My supposedly dead sister is sitting upstairs with half of the powers I have and then there is a super intelligent scientist dude in my basement trying to find a cure for this thing."

Ann raised her eyebrows. "Please tell me that is all you have to say."

I creased my forehead. "Does it seem like that is everything? You are suppose to kill us and half the people with powers are suppose to come over today."

Hunter frowned. "Okay, so technically, you're not having half of the people with powers coming over. There are around a hundred of us and there isn't fifty of us that are coming over."

"Hunter, come here." I said motioning him to move closer.

"What?" He said moving closer. I shot my hand up and struck it across his face. "Ow!"

I pointed my finger at him. "I don't have time for your bullshit."

He backed up. "Alright. God, you didn't have to hit me so hard."

"Oh, yeah. I'm sorry that I have the strength to lift a full sized bus up in the air!" I exclaimed quietly.

Riley grabbed my shoulder. "Alyssa, calm down. We can get them out of here some how."

"How, Riley?" I asked calmly.

"Stall?" He suggested.

"Or," Ann said, "you can pretend to call my cell phone and we can pretend that we are needed at work."

Riley raised his eyebrows. "That wouldn't be pretending to call you if I actually called you."

"Whatever." Ann said.

"Wait," I said, "what happens when you go to work and you aren't needed?"

"Alyssa," Ann said putting her hand on my shoulder. I looked at it. "I work for the government. I think I should know how to handle things."

I shrugged her hand off. "Oh, did I mention that my father is the one that put your father in charge of the capturing?"

"Huh?" Ann said.

"My dad hired your dad to capture us. Okay?" I said.

"But, the person in charge is...."

"Brian. I know." I said finishing her sentence.

"Your dad's name is Craig though." Ann said.

I put my hand on her shoulder. "You have so much yet to learn."