‹ Prequel: Move

Risk

Reunion

I opened my eyes and looked at Riley and Jack. Riley and Jack's grip on my hands told me we had all teleported together. I looked around and realized we were standing in the middle of a street. Jack let go of my hand. I slowly let go of Riley's.

There was no one in the street. The buildings around us were vacant. There was no one to be found.

I turned to Eve. “Where are we?”

Eve let go of Tobey and Brittany's hand. Everyone else unlocked hands. “I think we're in Texas.”

“You think?” I exclaimed.

Riley stepped in front of me. “Alyssa, you knew this was going to happen. Everybody's dead.”

“Not everybody.” Cassidy said plainly.

I looked at her. She was staring at one of the buildings. I followed her gaze to a large window on the side of a building. Nobody was there. I looked back at her. I creased my forehead.

Hunter walked in front of her. “Cass?” She blinked and gasped.

I walked over to them. “Cassidy, what is it?”

“This is where the building is. It is underground.” she said.

I nodded. My head began tingling and I knew what she had felt. We felt the eerie presence of life beneath us. I didn't have the same blank effect it had on Cassidy. I figured it was just because I was stronger.

“We have to get underground.” I said.

Peter stepped out from behind Sam. “We don't have to find the door. When I met this man in Florida once, I absorbed his power. He could walk through things.”

I lifted my chin. “So, you think you can walk through the ground?”

He gave an unexpected laugh. “Alyssa, you can do what any of us can do. You just have to find it in you.”

I sighed and rested my head. “That's what I'm afraid of.”

Sam looked at Peter. “Well, can we go now? I would like to have a good fight before I die.”

A deep growl came from inside Peter. “Lets go.”

Jack looked down at me. “You know what to do, right?

I nodded. “Kill anyone in my path, find the safe, and not die.”

Riley smiled. “You can't die.”

“Fine,” I said, “then step three will be to save your ass.”

Riley grinned more. “That's right, because if I get shot I will get older than I look. But, if I just get shot in the arm I'll just heal it.”

Cassidy looked up at him. “So, you can heal, but you can't come back from death unlike Alyssa.” she stated.

Jack nodded. “Yes, exactly.”

“Well, Peter, lets go have a little fun.” I said.

He nodded. “Hold onto each other.”

I wrapped my fingers around Riley's. Jack held onto my forearm.

“No one move until I say so.” I told them. They all nodded. “Peter.” I said. He nodded again.

Peter looked down at the ground. We immediately began sinking into the ground. I didn't feel anything as the pavement layers came in front of my eyes. I looked in front of me as we started moving through dirt. It didn't rub against me or anything. We swept through it like we were nothing.

We moved quickly through it. All of the sudden we were all falling from a ceiling. We all hit the floor with a humph, besides Riley, Peter, and me. The three of us landed on our feet. I looked up at the ceiling from where we came from. I sighed.

“That was exciting.” I said letting go of Riley's hand.

I turned around without waiting for the others to get up from the ground. My instincts told me where to go.

We were in a silver building that had a low ceiling but, it wasn't low enough for me to touch it. I could have jumped and touched it, but no human could touch it without a ladder. I walked down the silver hall and passed silver doors. Some of them had windows and some didn't. I glanced through one that had a window. The sight that I saw astounded me.

An older woman was sitting in a chair and she was strapped to it. It looked almost like the room Ann had me trapped in, except for one thing. The woman was white as snow and she looked frozen. I noticed a container that had tubes coming out of it. The tubes were attached to the woman. I stared wide eyed at her. Her cold eyes looked at me. She was being frozen alive. I clenched my jaw and looked away from the door and began walking down the hall.

The others followed behind me. Every one of them looked through the window before they kept walking. I ignored their stop and kept going down the hall.

A man with a gun came at me. I stopped and looked at the gun. My eyes looked all the way into the gun and saw that the gun wasn't loaded. The man was sweating and he had his jaw clenched.

“Do you have a name?” I asked him teasingly.

“George.” he said. I smiled at the amateur.

“Well, George, it's your bad day. First, your gun isn't loaded,” he looked at the gun, “second, I'm about to kill you. Make your last words count.”

I could feel the confusion of everyone behind me. I smiled wider waiting for him to respond.

George closed his eyes and lowered his gun. “May God be with every good person.”

He kept his eyes closed. I walked silently over to him and leaned towards his ear. “God's not here right now. You should have thought about that before you started killing us and when you helped create the disease that is killing half of the people in the world.”

George took in a deep breath. I put my hand on his shoulder and let a surge of electricity flow through him. I covered his mouth with my other hand. His eyes widened. He fell to the ground in ashes and bone.

I turned to the others. “You may want to stay on my good side.” They all had their eyes wide, including Riley. Peter didn't seem the least bit scared.

My body forced me back down the hall. I walked past more silver doors. Carts with trays on them were in front of each door. I looked at each and noticed they either had a syringe or some sort of scientist experiment on them.

I stopped when we got to an intersection of hallways. I stood frozen wondering what I was feeling.

“Everyone back up!” I said. They all did except Riley and Peter. Apparently they didn't understand the concept of “everyone”.

Men began coming out of the intersecting hallway. I watched them as they went in rows holding large guns. They didn't fire. The others behind me shifted and went into their fighting stances. I faced my palms towards the men with guns. Fire came out of my palms and I kept the fire there.

I looked at the rows of them. The hallway was long and they were blocking it completely.

“What? Is this the British armada?” I said mockingly at their stance.

A man shifted through the crowd and stood in front of them and me. I looked at him. He had his hands shoved into his black pants pockets, folding the fancy black jacket back. The jacket revealed a black vest over a white shirt. The red tie caught my attention. I recognized that tie.

I smiled at the man. “Father.”

He tilted his head and rubbed his tongue against his front teeth. “What do you want?”

I let more fire filter out of my hands. Riley was ready to fight. He stayed directly behind me with Peter at his side. I could tell they were back to back ready to fire. It was almost like I had eyes in the back of my head.

“After seventeen years and all you say is 'What do you want?' What a father.” I said.

My dad's head lifted realizing Cassidy and Hunter. “Why are you two working with her? Can't you see she is a serial killer.”

I turned my head slightly and looked at Cassidy. She lifted her chin. “She's not the only one, dad.” She said the word almost like it was a swear.

I realized my dad's hair was almost wind blown looking. He did have some of the beauty in him, but it was different. Almost like he was trying to fit in.

Our father creased his forehead. “I'm not doing this to feel good about myself. I'm capturing you because you are a danger to the world.”

“Hmph.” I smiled. “We are only a threat to you because we hate you and your little group.” I said. “It's your fault everyone is dying. You people created the virus. It's not my fault I tried to destroy it.”

“You can't do anything, Alyssa. It'll kill everyone except you, Cassidy, and your two little friends.” He said referring to Riley and Peter. There was nothing little about them though.

“That's your opinion and, frankly, I don't care about your opinion.”

I lifted my hands and shot the fire at them. My father ducked and the others started shooting at us. I engulfed them in fire. Peter shot his hands out and stopped the bullets. They all started moving back from the heat. I moved closer as they moved away from the hall. I watched my father rush back down the hall and through another hall. He disappeared from the crowd.

“Riley!” I shouted over the heat, bullets, and screams of terror. “Go with the others and get a sample. Peter and I can hold them off.”

Riley bent over my arms and looked me in the eyes. “I'll come back for you.” He bent over and kissed me long and hard. The fire continued shooting out of my hands. He removed himself from me. I looked at him. He looked at me and quickly moved away.

Jack, Eve, Sam, Brittany, and Tobey went with him. I turned to look at Hunter and Cassidy. The heat rushed through my body from my hands. I stopped it. Peter set his hands down.

Cassidy clenched her jaw. “He's my father too.”

Hunter sighed. “I'm not losing my family again. No matter if they really are my family.”

I looked at Peter. He nodded. I looked back at my brother and sister. “Lets go.”

I turned around and walked towards the burning bodies. The smell was terrible, but I ignored it. From the corner of my eye I saw one body grab his gun. I stopped and shot my hand out.

My hand formed a gun with the thumb and the pointer finger. I pressed my thumb down. The man collapsed. I looked at my hand. The others looked at it too.

Peter leaned over me. “I guess you won't be needing those guns you have.”

I sighed. “Thank you Mr. Obvious.”

I set my hand down and continued walking down the hall. I guess it was true that I had a lot of other powers.

We turned down another hall. My instincts were guiding me. I followed my father's scent. He smelled rich of cologne. The scent got stronger.

I looked back at the others. “You'll be fine right?”

They looked confused. Peter smiled. “Go ahead.”

“Go ahead what?” Hunter said.

I turned towards the scent and made my feet push me faster than ever. I rushed down the hall spilling trays and tables. The scent got extremely strong and I saw my father turn around. I stopped a yard away from him. No one else was in the hall.

He raised his hands. “Alyssa, you don't have to do this.”

“Give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you.” I said.

He kept his hands up. “If you kill any more people, it will go to the news and then people will find out about us. They'll also see how dangerous you are.”

I clenched my jaw. “One more soul wouldn't hurt.”

“Alyssa,” my dad said, “if you don't kill me I could help you and your friends.”

I shook my head. “Why would I want your help? If you wanted to give me help, you would have came to me considering you knew everything about me.”

My dad shook his head, keeping his hands up in defense. “I don't want to hurt you.”

I gave a half grin. “You can't hurt me water boy.” I leaped at him and pinned him to the ground. Our faces were in front of each other's. My hands held his arms to the ground and my knees held his legs. The necklace Hunter gave me dangled in front of his face.

“I'm not going to kill you.” I said.

“Because you are a good person.” He gasped. I realized I was crushing his collarbone.

“No,” I said, “because you're right. It will get to the news and you'll send your hounds after us, again.”

I jumped off of him and sped down the hall. I stopped realizing the halls were empty. My instincts told me to get out. I looked for a way and there wasn't any. I looked at the ceiling.

“First time can be a charm.” I said. My legs bent and I leaped towards the ceiling. I crashed through it and went through the dirt and cement. I came back into the street and set my feet down.

“Well, it's not the same as flying, but it's effective.” I said realizing I could leap high and hard and break through rock with out injuring myself.

I looked around at the empty street. I was on a different street than before. Everything was still vacant. Dust and pollution was hovering in the air. I squinted my eyes to look through it. I had no idea where I was. I was alone in the street with a building below me that wanted me dead.