‹ Prequel: Move

Risk

Windows

I looked around for anybody besides the people below me. The fog and pollution covered most of my view. My senses looked through all of it and searched for any sign of life. There was no one besides me and the deserted buildings.

All of the sudden, Peter, Sam, Jack, Hunter, Cassidy, Tobey, Eve, and Brittany appeared a few feet in front of me. I jumped slightly. My eyes went to Eve.

"Jesus Christ, Eve." I mumbled.

Eve shrugged. "It's not my fault. I can't control howw fast I appear."

I ignored her and looked at each of them. I stopped my stare at Hunter.

"Where's Riley?"

Hunter sighed. His black hair looked deflated.

"Eve and the others found us when you went to go get your dad. I don't know what happened to Riley." He looked at the ground.

Cassidy sighed and stepped towards me. She stopped a few inches from my face.

"Riley left them to get to the bodies because he sensed that they would die if they came in contact with it. He told them to tell you to go home and that he didn't want you to go after him." She stepped back a little.

I raised my eyebrows. "How do you know this?"

She raised her eyebrows. "I told you, I have quite a few of your powers."

"Meaning?"

She turned around to the others and faced me again. "Not right now. We have to get out of here."

I nodded. "You're right. You have to get out of here."

Sam creased his forehead. "Alyssa, you have to come with us."

I looked at him and Peter. "When Riley says he doesn't want me to go after him, it means he's probably going to need my help."

Peter gave a sigh of disbelief. "How do you know?"

We stared at each other. "Maybe if you fall in real love you'll learn."

With that, I leaped towards the giant hole in the ground. Everyone went after me. I began falling feet first down the hole. I dropped quickly to the bottom and back into the facility. I landed on my feet in a crouch. My head fell downwards due to the stop. I flung it back up towards the top of the hole. The others looked down at me.

"Alyssa," Hunter and Cassidy yelled down.

I ignored them and stood up. My hands swung at my sides. I turned my head down the end of the hall. My nose picked up the sweetest and most beautiful scent. Riley's scent.

My legs spun me towards the direction my head was turned. I began running down the hall faster than I have ever gone before. It seemed whenever Riley came into the picture, I would do anything (everything) in my power. Well, with my powers.

I zoomed past more trays and doors. The hallways were completely empty, which I didn't expect.

My legs began to slow down when I came to a dark hallway. I slowed down to a complete stop. The hallway was completely pitch black. Not a single light was on that I could see in plain sight. My senses began working better for me.

I looked clearly into the dark and saw everything. There was nothing but more doors. The door I stopped at was larger than the others. It was completely made of metal. I wouldn't be able to open it easily. Even if I could, it would be dangerous considering the disease was on the other side. A security scanner was attached to the wall next to the door. It was flashing green and I could tell it needed fingerprints to open the door. Only one persons prints would work. My father's.

My eyes stayed on the scanner. Riley's scent was stronger here in front of the metal door. I continued looking at the scanner.

I moved my hand towards the scanner. My hand out stretched. I placed my hand firmly on the screen. I waited for something to happen.

The screen began reading each of my prints. I stared at it. My heart slowly began pacing.

I lifted my hand off of the screen as soon as I saw the words Access Granted. I guess genetics does work it's own ways. If it wasn't for genetics I probably wouldn't have these powers. Then again, I probably wouldn't have been with Riley.

The door made a popping noise when the locks on the inside unlocked. I reached for the big metal knob on the door. I pulle dit down and opened the door. My feet guided me inside.

I stepped into a small room that was just as dark as the hallway. Light was coming through a large window. Against the window was a row of controls. I slowly walked towards them.

No one was in the room. The controls were numerous. Big, little, knobs, levers, and others. It wasn't the controls that bothered me. It was what was behind the window that caught my attention.

I pressed my hands against the window that covered half of the wall.

Behind the window was a huge room. Larger than any room I have ever seen. Almost larger than my basement. The room was filled with bags. Inside the bags ,were what I was almost sure of, were bodies. Bodies that died from the disease. They were piled up on each other.

People in white suits and helmets were walking around the bodies holding clipboards. Some of them were driving around in carts that had fork lifts on the front. They were lifting the bags of bodies around.

Some of the men began running through the rows of bodies towards something. I tried to see what they were running towards.

My eyes got wide as I looked at the thing that was flying through the room. Riley. Riley and a body.

I pressed my face against the glass. My heart began running in place.

One of the men took out a gun and pointed it at Riley. I watched as Riley and the body spiraled down to the bags of bodies.

I slammed my hands against the glass. My lungs got tight. The men rushed over to him. I stood frozen, not knowing what to do.