Letter to Me

Sarah Carpenter

Notice the signs from dad. And remember the little things from Jared.

“Dad I'm leaving!” I shouted as I slipped on my sandals. When there was no response I made my way to his office where I found him talking angrily on the phone, quietly I slipped away, into the summer sun.

“Everything okay?” Jared asked as I slipped into his truck.

“It's fine.” I told him putting on my sun glasses as he backed out of my driveway.

“How long are you going to lie to yourself this time?” Jared asked his voice one tone, as if he was asking how I did on a test.

“Until it becomes reality.” I told him looking straight out the windshield as the trees whipped by and house here and there.

“I'll be there when that reality comes crashing down.”



If John keeps on staring at me I'm going to slap him.


Music blasts from Brad's speaker as the wind whips around us, are laughing can be barely heard, yet I'm sure are voices are echoing through the trees, being heard by the people on the shore. The water breaks easily around the boat, ever now and then on a sharp turn the water splashes up, making me squeal.

Brad quickly loses his place behind the wheel, with a beer in his hand he sits down next to Emily and laughs as she tries in vain to fix her blowing hair. Jared laughs as Emily's hat she put on blows off her head and then skips along the water.

Jared turns the boat around, slowly we come next to the hat, it's just about to sink, carefully I lean forward staring at my reflection in the water I see a girl, not a broken girl, just a girl. I grave the hat, then grinning I place the soaked hat on Emily's head laughing at her expression.

Although we know that un like before we could say something and be heard, since the wind, and the engine of the boat are more quite, no one speaks a word. This time we hear the people from the shore voices echo across the lake.