Letter to Me

Jenny Scott

1234 West Mansfield.

West Mansfield is the only section of town that has high class houses with a sign before you turn in that says private property. A place I had never once stepped foot in, so why was it on a postcard my mother had sent me?



“Are you going to tell her? Anybody for that matter? Jen, don't make me do this for you.”


“What was she like when she was young?” I asked dad, looking from my apple that laid on the table back up to him.

“She was a lot like you, I know that's hard to believe but she was. That's why she left she was afraid you'd take after her.” Dad said smiling looking at the wall with a dazed look.

“What about her friends?” I ask looking at him waiting to see a story to appear, his openness doesn't fade but he does shake his head sadly, “Family?”

The door is slammed closed his eyes are guarded and his jaw clenched.

“Her parents were never really there for her, and when they where they weren't very optimistic.” I looked up surprised that he had answered, he quickly picked up his dishes and deposited them in the sink.

Drive, drive, around in circles past the house that was so much bigger then any of my dreams. Taking in a deep breath I stop at the end of the driveway the address belonged to. Where had she led me?

Opening up the car door I had ever intention of finding out.