Letter to Me

Sarah Carpenter

Answer every door, phone call, window tap, IM conversation.

“Leave.”

Hopping down the stairs I saw my father's frame standing in the middle of the doorway.

“I just want to-”

“Leave.”

“You can't do this, she's my-”

Dad slammed his fist into the visitor's face making them stumble away from the door, before he shut the door with a loud crack, panting he stood there not moving.

“I'm his what?” I asked as I walked down the last couple of stairs.

“Nothing go back to bed.” He said waving me off, I caught his hand, it was already showing signs of swelling.

“Come on you need to put some ice on this hand of yours, and after that your going to tell me why you punched him.”

“Your mother never told me, that for a whole summer she dated my best friend while I was away with my dad, which wasn't wrong, we weren't together at the time. She claims as soon as I came back she ended it and we got back together the only reason she didn't tell me was because she didn't think it was worth it.” Dad said watching me as I rolled up his ice.

“And then the wedding happened.” I whispered.

“Well actually, I married your mother because I knew she was pregnant with you and it was Paul's.”

I looked up surprised, “What?”

“Your mother decided she loved Paul more then me, next time I see her she's got a black eye and a little stomach poach. I kicked the shit out of him, married your mother, fell in love with the little girl that wasn't mine.

Then she was sneaking around with him, threaten to leave. I told her she could as long as she left you, she could run back into his abusive arms for all I cared as long as she didn't take you with her. She's been with him ever since.” He finishes his confession looking at me standing there with the ice in hand, my round eyes over flowing with tears.

“I thought she left me with you, that you didn't want me because I wasn't yours.” I stuttered crying.

“Silly girl.” He stated getting up and enveloping me in a hug. “I was afraid you where going to demand to meet your real father and leave me here, all alone, selfish I know.”

“Silly daddy.”